04-24-2018 08:17 PM
199 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I have been using my fingerprint to unlock my phone. I was caught in a rainstorm and tried to unlock my phone with my fingerprint. The phone was unable to read it and after numerous attempts it quit letting me try to unlock with my fingerprint and asked to unlock the phone with my alternate password. I have tried every password that I have and none of them work. I tried to go into the Android Device Manager but it is unable to locate my phone. Is there any way to unlock my phone without having to do a hard reset?
    09-07-2014 06:50 PM
    Hi hw are u? Am kelvin. I forgot my alternative password too.. but after the help care I reactivated it back to normal.. just wanna say thanks for the help. My mobile number is [number redacted by Mod]
    09-08-2014 02:52 PM
    I love youuuuuuu man thanks
    09-13-2014 05:32 AM
    New alternate password?
    09-14-2014 02:18 AM
    yip, it works... just go into settings > finger scanner > fingerprint manager > swipe unlock > select an delete saved fingerprint... then the lock comes off as well as the password
    09-16-2014 05:08 AM
    just delete all your finger prints in the device. That automatically resets the alternative password i just did the same thing and next time make it your email adress password so you would not forget it cheers mate
    09-17-2014 11:25 PM
    thanks worked a treat
    09-18-2014 10:45 AM
    it's been said that when you delete all the fingerprints this password is removed. then you start over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    it worked for me thank you very much
    09-21-2014 12:00 PM
    Thank you for this advise. I have pulling my hair out, what I have left, trying to remember a password that I don't remember putting in the first place. I now have my phone up and working again. I remain forever in your debt.
    09-23-2014 04:17 AM
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Verizon.
    I have read all through this thread and I've yet to see a way to reset the ALTERNATIVE PASSWORD. First my fingerprint reader stopped working. It actually gave me an error message. Now the alternative password is not working (and no, I didn't forget it). I have used the ADM and I can reset my "screen" password from there but it does not help me with the Alternative Password. I can't delete the fingerprints using the Fingerprint Manager because it always stops me with the alternate password.

There have been a few updates to my phone from Verizon, but I can't get passed the Alternate Password to see if I can get the fingerprint reader working by replacing them.
    mmcarn likes this.
    09-23-2014 10:59 AM
    I have read all through this thread and I've yet to see a way to reset the ALTERNATIVE PASSWORD. First my fingerprint reader stopped working. It actually gave me an error message. Now the alternative password is not working (and no, I didn't forget it). I have used the ADM and I can reset my "screen" password from there but it does not help me with the Alternative Password. I can't delete the fingerprints using the Fingerprint Manager because it always stops me with the alternate password.

There have been a few updates to my phone from Verizon, but I can't get passed the Alternate Password to see if I can get the fingerprint reader working by replacing them.
    I'm having this same problem. I know exactly what I put my password as & I'm getting an error message. Can somebody please please find this out this is a really annoying bug... Can't even use my scanner & that's part of the reason why I got the phone...
    mmcarn likes this.
    09-23-2014 12:27 PM
    Delete registered fingerprints by going to your settings and selecting "fingerprint" and then "fingerprint manager" long-press the fingerprint(s) that you want to delete and that takes you to a new screen with selection boxes (next to the fingerprints) and a trash can at the top of the screen.
    delete the ones you dont want.
    09-24-2014 10:54 PM
    For those of you who forgot your alternate passcode please see the thread "S5 Finger print Locked out" for my response and instructions for both resetting your passcode and resetting the fingerprint screen lock.
    09-24-2014 11:04 PM

so, first you have to go to the google play store (on a computer) and install the android device manager, that is by google, remotely.
    then go to the android device manager login (you can google it because I don't have enough posts yet to post links) and press the "lock" option.
    that gives allows you a the ability to set a one time unlock code.
    once you set the unlock code through the device manager, unlock your phone with that passcode that you just set.
    then immediately og to your settings and look for the "fingerprint" option.
    open that and look for "change alternative password" open that and enter a new alternative password (something easy for you to remember)
    THEN (yes there's more) you need to re-enable the fingerprint mode (if you had it previosly set) by selecting "screen lock" under the same "fingerprint" menu.
    re-enable fingerprint mode by swiping your registered fingerprint.
    09-24-2014 11:22 PM
    That's still not giving me the option to RESET my alternative password... It just says change & is still asking me for an alternative password that I know what I set. And I can't reset it by deleting the fingerprint scanners because my fingerprint scanner just randomly stopped working. This is so annoying & is making me wish I went with the iPhone 6... Can somebody please help me with this it's been going on for about 2 weeks now.

BTW when I go to "Change alternative password" it's asking me to confirm password when I put in that, therefore it's asking for the password which I am trying to reset. It's like all just a big loop of bugs this is annoying.
    09-25-2014 02:58 PM
    Still no fix? ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-28-2014 09:32 AM
    ohh wowww thank youuuu
    09-30-2014 02:57 PM
    Thank you for the Awesome Info! It totally worked!! :-)
    10-02-2014 11:41 AM
    Thanks! It worked.
    10-07-2014 10:10 PM
    Delete all the fingerprints registered (verifying by fingerprint or alternative password) inside the Fingerprint manager (settings->Finger Scanner). When all registered prints are removed (long pressing and deleting each registered print), the lock screen will go back to swipe.
    Bless you! This worked perfectly for me, and kept me from having to take more drastic measures.
    10-09-2014 11:28 AM
    Tried doing this but I get the following message: Your device's location access is turned off.
    Last online October 6, 2014

HELP!!! What next???
    10-09-2014 06:41 PM
    Get to a doctor! I think you have died! :he he:

Seriously, long press on one of the fingerprints in the fingerprint manager and then you can select any/all and delete

ETA: argh! No nested replies!
    10-11-2014 10:46 AM
    i did my finger print and i did the alternate password and i forgot it but i still can open the phone what do i do to change the alterante password
    10-12-2014 05:54 PM
    Boom! Thanks!
    10-13-2014 09:48 AM
    this does not work, it only changes the lock screen type from fingerprint to pin or password, does not change the alt. password for the fingerprint...
    10-17-2014 11:27 AM
199 ... 23456 ...