Forgot my Alternate Password...

Mattroid

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Easy had that happen to me... Just go online to android device manager log in with your google log in wait till it locates your phone u then click to lock your device it asks you for a new password. It over rides whatever password or lock feature u have on it. Then you get phone type the new password and boom problem solved :cool:
Thanks for this - I'd been trying a ton of different ways using the ADB, etc, none of which worked on the S5 as they (apparently) would have on my older phones. I'm not sure why the lock screen doesn't prompt to unlock with your google account password after X number or failed attempts like I've seen on all my other devices (or maybe that's only with the pattern? If so, that seems a bit short sighted...).

Regardless, up until now the only way I could unlock my phone was to use the 'Find My Mobile' feature at account.samsung.com and then use the 'Lock My Mobile' feature to set a temporary PIN (I do not have an 'Unlock My Mobile' section for some reason like I've seen in screenshots online). Doing this allowed me access to the phone, but kept the previous password in place so it'd ultimately lock again with that password and I'd have to start over.

I was unaware of this device manager capability, but it worked like a charm since I could already get into my phone using the Samsung PIN feature. Those of you who don't already have that Google Device Manager setup, I'd say it's highly advised. If google, the feds, etc really wanted to find you, I'm sure they could, regardless of this feature setting...and if you don't want to be found, then you shouldn't have a cell phone at all, especially from a major provider.

fereta

May 15, 2014
Visit site
A friend came to me with a S5 and box, that he bought for his fourteen year old daughther over the weekend. The fingerprint scanner doesnt accept finger print and she couldnt remember if she set the alternative number. I also learned that she didnt setup a gmail account either. What do you suggest I try before I send them with phone to the service provider?

jackrock

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Easy had that happen to me... Just go online to android device manager log in with your google log in wait till it locates your phone u then click to lock your device it asks you for a new password. It over rides whatever password or lock feature u have on it. Then you get phone type the new password and boom problem solved :cool:

I didn't know about this. I turned on the GPS in my phone and it found it instantly. I typically have the GPS off though.

HelpDesk2014

May 15, 2014
Visit site
On your Samsung S5 go to:
Settings - fingerprint manager - you'll see your 3 registered fingerprints. Touch the first one. In the top right corner touch the 3 dots. Tell it to "Deregister" the first one will be deleted. Do the same for the other two. When the last is "deregistered" it will say that your lock screen has been returned to "Swipe" mode.

Lazmeister

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi, When I go into fingerprint manager it gives me the option of swiping my finger print again or putting the alternative password (of which there isn't one - I've tried my Google password and it doesn't work) - I can't see the 3 fingerprints I have saved in order to be able to delete them?
If I swipe my fingerprint it takes the screen back to the main screen.
I need to work out how to change that alternative password.
Thanks

audrea jones

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, When I go into fingerprint manager it gives me the option of swiping my finger print again or putting the alternative password (of which there isn't one - I've tried my Google password and it doesn't work) - I can't see the 3 fingerprints I have saved in order to be able to delete them?
If I swipe my fingerprint it takes the screen back to the main screen.
I need to work out how to change that alternative password.
Thanks
Lazmeister, I had the same problem and realized if you swipe to hard it takes you to the home screen..gently swipe your finger across the middle of the home screen button to avoid this. This page should help you better... How do I Use the Fingerprint Scanner to Manage Passwords and Unlock my Samsung Galaxy S? 5? : US Cellular | Samsung

DawgPoundx19

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Worked great! Thanks man!

vtaramangalam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Lazmeister, I had the same problem and realized if you swipe to hard it takes you to the home screen..gently swipe your finger across the middle of the home screen button to avoid this. This page should help you better... How do I Use the Fingerprint Scanner to Manage Passwords and Unlock my Samsung Galaxy S� 5? : US Cellular | Samsung

I am still having same problem. It does not recognize my finger print. I get a "No Match" message. So i know i am swiping it correct. And the alternate password that i thought i had does not work. So i cannot get into the screen to delete the finger print. The alternate password is not the Samsung password, it is not the google password.
Fortunately i use pattern to unlock my phone. So i can use the phone. I just wanted to delete the non-working fingerprint..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks