Static on screen of S5

RickB68

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I just got my new S5 today. One weird thing I'm noticing is static on screen when the phone lags occasionally. It doesn't happen very much, but it's jarring to look at.

I'm wondering if it's normal (new phone software bugs) or if my phone has a hardware problem. I hate to return devices. so if it's just a software bug and others are experiencing it, I'm OK with that.

I did a search and nothing came up, and I haven't seen it mentioned in any review.

EthanJWarburton

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi there

I had this exact same issue with the exact same phone, eventually it wouldn't turn on once, just the static and blue notification light.

The problem I found out was a loose flex ribbon connecter (I have know idea).
So I tried turning in on while holding down fairly hardly the spot they're at, which is just under the heart rate sensor area. The phone booted up fine but as soon as I let go it turned to static.

So I turned the phone off and held on the place I held as hard as I could for a good 10 minutes. I tapped it and shook it as well. And then, voilà! The phone works as good as new again! :)

So I suggest you do what I do, hold it hard down near the top of the battery, try different places. I guess it reconnected the cable somehow :) I hope this helps :)

c4linebacker

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Ethan's suggestijon fixed my problem too. My galaxy S5 fell off my nightstand charger and went white with colored specles. I applied pressure by running my finger over the back of the phone with the battery removed. Then I held the phone just under the heart rate sensor and put the battery back in and it turned on fine.

Thank you Ethan.

wrighton116

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for figuring out and posting this! I thought my screen was broken and would require repair. Followed your advice, and she fired right up. Good stuff!

Aled Parry

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually signed up just to comment here. My phone took a very small drop and I had the same problem. When it turned on the screen was all static-ey before going black but it seemed as if in the background it was working as the lights and rocker were functioning as normal. I did just what Ethan suggested - took out the battery and put firm pressure on the back of the phone in many places, basically as if i was trying to push any loose parts back in. Problem solved! Thank you so much!

LexiandMaci

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
So what exactly did you mean by tapping it? Im sorry must be a stupid question but im trying everything you did to no avail and my spirits are a bit crushed.

J Ch

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for the tip. Dropped my phone and like all the others, thought I was up for new screen+repairs.

I tried pressing the phone at particular spots a few times with no result ...
Eventually I did it properly ... battery out, phone on hard surface and pressed quite hard all over the back of the phone for good 2-4mins ... didn't hear any click sound so make me think it would make a difference ...

Put the battery back in and works as new!!!
Signed up to this forum just to say thanks :)

budaha

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!
same thing happend to me! dropped the phone, thought it was over but i followed your instructions and now it works just as new!!

joeyakaspce

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Just dropped my S5 and I'm seeing the same static screen. About to try your fix and see what happens... wish me luck!

This is a legit fix! My S5 is back in service... thanks!

Last edited:

SUFTUM

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Same happen to my S5 tonight. Tried Google and came here. Also just signed up to thank you EthanJWarburton you are a life saver. Thought my phone was a goner. Isn't the Internet wonderful. Thank you again

mschell21

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi i just made an account to write this. I followed your steps as this has been happening to my phone for a long time and now the screen stays black instead of static. Do you have any solutions for this..

Derrick Williams2

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I registered just to comment on this. I had a small drop on my phone and thought I was going to have to replace my phone. Followed the steps for like 2 minutes and guess what it worked. Thanks for the post. :)

T King Pirrelli

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
EthanJWarburton I signed up just to say thank you! My daughter dropped my wife's phone and that speckled screen appeared. We actually have sprint as a provider and the lady basically didn't do anything but order a new phone, letting us know we'd get it on Thursday because it was on back order, I almost gave up but I prayed for a solution and read these comments! With much success your tips worked!

John Wallace6

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I had the problem where my screen when fuzzy or static after a drop. I have SOLVED the problem!!!! It looks like a loose cable problem because the main thing you get is a problem with the screen or it not waking up. Well to toot my own horn, I am a computer tech and the first rule of a hardware issue is to remove all variables. Removed every peripheral (micro sd card, sim card, changed the battery, etc.) Remember, the phones today are just small computers! Anyway, turns out it was the micro sd card!!! That is how the S5 responds to a damaged micro sd card. Most other phones just tell you that it (micro sd) needs to be formatted. When I dropped the phone, it must have been reading/ writing to the micro sd and corrupted it. When you push on the back of the phone, you are re-seating the micro sd which is next to the fingerprint sensor. You don't realize it because you have the battery cover on the phone, covering where the micro sd is located. Sorry for the long post, but I bet there are a lot of frustrated owners happy that they found this post!

dl51891

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
So my phone is about a year old now. Starting yesterday it has had a static screen and I only get lights on the bottom and the notification light. I left it apart over night and all day today.I tried your tip and now it doesn't turn on at all. I would really hate to tell my father-in-law it's broken because he's still paying for it. Is there anyway to fix it? I'm not even sure what wrong with it. Yesterday when I got off the phone it froze then shut off. When it came back on the coloring was off, like there was color but it looked like a negative, then it stopped working all together, then went static screen again and began flashing so I took the battery out. Now it wont turn on at all.