Pretty nasty bug with my Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner, need help.

econoar

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner was working just fine for a week now but tonight it wouldn't pick up my fingerprint anymore. When i went to try to delete out old prints and put new ones in, it won't take my alternate password (although the main lock screen will). When i try to change the alt password on the fingerprint scanner settings screen I get an error that says "an error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If it continues please restart your device."

I've restarted and tried everything to no avail. There's nothing online about it yet either. The only thing I can think of is that today I tried to link my Paypal account with my fingerprint. It was an odd process and in doing it Samsung installs an app called "NNL Fingerprint Passport". Perhaps there's a bug with this coming on my phone and overwriting my settings? I've disabled it to no avail as well. I'm pretty stuck now.

Paul C Wilson

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
No - it's just happened to me. I agree it's a software bug - and my only solution was to do a factory reset and use a pin code to unlock in future rather than the scanner. I did not link with a paypal account and therefore think this is a phone bug.

econoar

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
No - it's just happened to me. I agree it's a software bug - and my only solution was to do a factory reset and use a pin code to unlock in future rather than the scanner. I did not link with a paypal account and therefore think this is a phone bug.

Interesting. I'm probably going to have to do a factory reset as well. What an awful bug, interesting that it's taking a little time to pop up, I wonder what the cause is.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have installed the paypal link app today and connected it with my fingerprint and it is still currently working fine for me - Hope I don't develop this issue!

Ally20

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I also have encountered this problem and i have not downloaded anything to do to paypal and this device hasn't registered with the official Samsung webpage so you cant report it either? Really stuck on what to do but if I have to, here goes factory default!

Paul C Wilson

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Whilst the problem was solved by a reset in my case I have to be honest and say I am not going to use the scanner regularly again until there's a software update in case it recurs. Suspect a lot more cases will arise as more people use the phone over a longer period of time.

bthmy

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday my whole S5 operation went on the fritz...pictures took 5-10 seconds to take, Gmail wouldn't send out attachments, calls and texts were delayed and dropped and then last night the finger print reader failed. Likewise, it wouldn't accept my alternate password. I thought I was going to be able to reset it via my Google login, but after trying several times all I have been able to do is access my device and I have no security to prevent unwanted access. Battery life is awful, too, in the past few days. I haven't set any passwords to my fingerprint for other apps, either. I welcome solutions before I do a factory reset, as there's a ton of stuff I will need to back up before that.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember, but when you set up the fingerprint scanner, does it ask you to verify your password or does it just take the first attempt?

econoar

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Still no solutions to this that anyone has found I assume? I'm holding off on a factory reset for now and just not using the scanner.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Still no solutions to this that anyone has found I assume? I'm holding off on a factory reset for now and just not using the scanner.

There is no solution other than exchanging for a new phone. My first S5 had the same problem. Factory reset will not fix it. Go and swap your phone out now.

NJMama

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner was working just fine for a week now but tonight it wouldn't pick up my fingerprint anymore. When i went to try to delete out old prints and put new ones in, it won't take my alternate password (although the main lock screen will). When i try to change the alt password on the fingerprint scanner settings screen I get an error that says "an error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If it continues please restart your device."
I've restarted and tried everything to no avail. There's nothing online about it yet either. The only thing I can think of is that today I tried to link my Paypal account with my fingerprint. It was an odd process and in doing it Samsung installs an app called "NNL Fingerprint Passport". Perhaps there's a bug with this coming on my phone and overwriting my settings? I've disabled it to no avail as well. I'm pretty stuck now.

How do you delete old prints? I can not find how to do that anywhere!

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
just a quick question...are your date and time on the device correct? I ran into a similar issue with not being able to access a lot of things on my S5 couldn't even access google play store or google account!
After a bit of searching I found out this can happen when for some reason Android screws up the time and date it basically freezes up a lot of systems on the phone...not sure if this is your problem but it sure worked for me! Reset date and time!
Hope this works...also, my problem wasn't a Samsung issue but an Android issue

Cheers

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had this same issue and after a factory reset it has worked well for me

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

xy17

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue since 1 week, unfortunately, my 15 days have passed and I can't return and exchange it. I tried a factory reset from the recovery it didn't work though, Q.Q.

anshulsingh16

May 9, 2014
Visit site
On the locked home screen click Alternate Password option and enter incorrect passwords multiple times. Click cancel after unsuccessful attempts. On the home screen you will find an option to unlock the phone with google account. Use that to unlock the phone and you will be redirected to the Lock Screen settings of the phone. Select any other option to lock the phone like swipe or number lock.