Question about Blocking mode on the S5

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
On the Galaxy S4, blocking mode would stop the stop the notification LED from going off. But, it seems like on the S5, the notification LED Still blinks when my phone receives a notification while on the S5. Anyone know how to turn it off?

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
On the Galaxy S4, blocking mode would stop the stop the notification LED from going off. But, it seems like on the S5, the notification LED Still blinks when my phone receives a notification while on the S5. Anyone know how to turn it off?

Annoyingly, the option to stop the LEDs was removed on the S5.

I just noticed this as well and it's a HUGE problem for me! Blocking Mode is one of the things that I loved about my S4....I have no idea why they would remove that feature? This makes no sense. It has to be fixed in an update in the near future.

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
i hate this as well; i hope they put it back in an update

I agree. I had the S3 and I was happy not having to wake up to see a blinking LED in the middle of the night. Essentially blocking mode now is just mute, which you can do in the notification panel. You shouldn't have to shut off the LED in a separate setting.

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

Welshy3

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
So what does blocking mode disable notifications actually do please. There was an option in the S3 called notifications which turned all of or on. The blocking mode icon shows in the top left of the screen but does not disable notifications.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Can I just ask why you are all so unhappy that the LED still works? I think it's a good idea as it allows you to quickly check if anything has happened without turning the phone on. I find blocking mode works very well for blocking calls and notifications. I always get scared it will mute my alarm by accident though!

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya

The blocking made on the S5 does block notifications, or at least it does for me

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
If the LED bothers you why not turn the phone over so it's face down? If your worried that the LED is consuming a lot of energy , it's not .

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I want to use this function to receive calls ONLY while i'm sleeping. Would that work? I can see you can uncheck calls and then check the box for notifications but i'm not sure if this is literally blocking that function from happening or just blocking the sound? What I'm trying to get at is I went my messages to come through but I don't want them waking me up.

Like if I were to check the phone calls box would calls still go through as normal, they just wouldn't ring? Or is that blocking calls from being made at all, seeming like the phone is off to the caller?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I want to use this function to receive calls ONLY while i'm sleeping. Would that work? I can see you can uncheck calls and then check the box for notifications but i'm not sure if this is literally blocking that function from happening or just blocking the sound? What I'm trying to get at is I went my messages to come through but I don't want them waking me up.

Like if I were to check the phone calls box would calls still go through as normal, they just wouldn't ring? Or is that blocking calls from being made at all, seeming like the phone is off to the caller?

Will it be easier to just set your message ringtone to silent before you go to bed?

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Will it be easier to just set your message ringtone to silent before you go to bed?

Then calls won't ring. I want calls to ring but all other stuff to make no sound. I only want to be woken up to a phone call.

On a side note it appears like I can achieve this with the blocking mode. I was worried in blocking mode your messages wouldn't still go through to your phone but it appears they do, blocking mode just simply blocks the sound. I thought maybe it was actually blocking texts to be received

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Then calls won't ring. I want calls to ring but all other stuff to make no sound. I only want to be woken up to a phone call.

On a side note it appears like I can achieve this with the blocking mode. I was worried in blocking mode your messages wouldn't still go through to your phone but it appears they do, blocking mode just simply blocks the sound. I thought maybe it was actually blocking texts to be received

No you can go to your sms settings and select silent for the ringtone. Glad to know you figured it out. 😊

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
One thing I miss about blackberry, you can actually go in and set custom sound profiles. i want to turn off all sound except phone and night and my suggestion/option is to manually go into settigs to turn off sound for messages every night lolz

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
One thing I miss about blackberry, you can actually go in and set custom sound profiles. i want to turn off all sound except phone and night and my suggestion/option is to manually go into settigs to turn off sound for messages every night lolz

You can actually go onto blocking mode and select at the bottom who you want to hear ring or i think is a selection where you can disable during blocking mode

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Blocking mode keeps u from being interrupted while on web or watching vids. It doesnt stop calls aand texts from coming thru. Which I find convenient it mite be my dad in chicago that I get pop up calls from thtz not on my allow list. And whats up with u LED bashers. Lol does a tiny blinking light bother u tht much sheesh. I think its great

Posted via the Android Central App