Headphones connected bug after water test

RaZella

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
To my knowledge my phone has no water damage and has never been submerged. However, about 3 to 4 months ago I dropped it, causing damage to the bottom right corner, so my warranty is voided.
Today for the first time, my phone started acting like my headphones were plugged in.
Called Verizon and went through trouble shooting - consisted of soft and hard resets - None of these things corrected the issue.
I attempted to plug in the headset and unplug it to see if that would trip it to turn off the ear phones - worked for about 30 seconds, then issue repeated.
Then I got a can of dust off (ya know, for computer keyboards and what not, the spray can of air) and sprayed out the headphone jack.
Instantly the headphone icon went away, and thus far, the problem hasn't come back. Phone is working like a peach again. Thought I'd share in case it works for someone else having the same problem.

Mike Olewine

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I tried the suggestion of taking the dust can used for keyboards and it worked to clear the headphones connected issue. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Can of compressed air, Q tip and putting it in a bag of rice or a bag with silica packets over night for a few days should clear it up. Even though it is stated as being water resistant don't test the claim. It is too easy for Samsung or the phone store to say the back cover must not have been completely sealed so water got in and it will not be covered. Even though it has the claim I'm very careful with my phone and don't want to find out if it's actually true or not.

ryan mahon

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I HAVE THE SOLUTION.. Get a very small piece of Gauze. 2) Take the gauze and twist it up like a snake, while inserting it into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the GS5. 3) push the gauze all the way in with a small piece of metal (such as a bobby pin, or thumb tack). 4) remove gauze from jack, and retry the phones audio. This should work as it did for me. If it doesnt, try cleaning it once more.

DixonCider23

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure that will happen? Cause I took a shower and had to answer a text, so some water got into the headphone jack.
It's been 24 hours now and its still happening. Do you know if i can do anything to stop that? Thanks for the help!

adder70

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Basically Samsung lies when they say it's water resistant. If they can provide a cover for the battery/data connector, they can do the same for the headphone connector so that a phone that was apparently exposed to a miniscule amount of water (I'm assuming it's water, but I didn't see any other signs of contact with water, just a sudden insistence by the phone that headphones are connected) doesn't become basically unusable unless you always carry headphones in case 2 drops hit the headphone connector. THis is a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected. I think I'll check this next time and get something else if Samsung hasn't addressed. Too bad. I really like my Note Tablet and S5, but I won't have devices that are that sensitive to normal treatment. (Again, there was no other indication of water...)

... I just went again to try something to dry it and suddenly now functions as a phone again. Great, now I have to carry headhpones around all the time in case 2 drops of water hit my POS phone. Unbelievable!!! >:-<

mbullertx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have that problem because I don't submerge my S5 in water.

This seems like a sarcastic comment. I don't think anyone with this problem intentionally dropped their S5 in water. Mine was on a table and someone else knocked a glass of water over on it by accident. The original post is asking for help. Your comment above was not helpful.

Spencer001

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
This seems like a sarcastic comment. I don't think anyone with this problem intentionally dropped their S5 in water. Mine was on a table and someone else knocked a glass of water over on it by accident. The original post is asking for help. Your comment above was not helpful.

LOL Oh, I definitely did it on purpose, and I do it intentionally quite frequently just to see people's reactions. I've had my S5 for two years now and it still works like a charm despite all of the times I have tossed it in my pool or in a cup of water just to watch people freak out. (By the way, I intentionally did not buy the warranty, because I planned on voiding it when I bought the phone.)

All I do to fix the headphone jack is blow out the headphone jack, let it sit for a while (20-30 min; although this probably isn't necessary), and then I take a tissue, roll it up a corner of it into a thin needle-like shape, and I push that inside of the headphone jack and rotate it around.

Just remember, if you phone gets wet, once it has dried off on the outside and you are on a dry surface, carefully remove the back cover and dry any water that might have seeped in underneath the back cover while the phone was submersed. Of course, once you wipe up that water, carefully place the back cover back onto the phone, making sure to push down all clips to ensure the phone is water tight.

I'm not encouraging you (or any other readers) to go and dunk your phone in water, but from my own personal experience, as long as you make sure to dry off the phone, dry the headphone jack, and dry underneath the back cover, then the phone seems to be able to stand up to most water encounters.

Unfaded Stunting

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
I think the water resistant thing is only made to save the phone in case you drop it in water, the phone isn't 100% protected and it isn't advised to take a shower with it.

The s5 is tested at 3 feet for thirty minutes. It can work after that lIke it just came out of the box, but anything after that cannot be guaranteed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol