Pink spot on photos?

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else getting this? These photos are taken with 2 different samsung galaxy s5 devices and with everything on auto

They are taken with curtains drawn in the morning, with light coming through the curtains.

20140419_072619.jpg
20140419_072530.jpg
20140419_072459.jpg

Aside for this I'm very happy with the photo and video quality

EDIT
Now I have tested it all day and I have found out what is needed to recreate this problem.

1. It needs to be indoor
2. It needs to be under NATURAL light conditions
3. It needs to be during sunset when it's starting to get dim(NOT when it's already dark), sunrise when it's still dim OR later during the day with curtains drawn and NATURAL sunlight shining through the curtains

This makes me quite sure it has something to do with the white balance being off. I hope more people will test this so we can find out of it's a general problem or it's just a bad batch

Last edited:

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one with this problem. The pinkish/red spot can also be seen in video. I have tried changing white balance and that doesn't work either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_ei0WZOPc

Should I return both my devices? If anyone can confirm they have the same problem, I will keep them since it will mean that my phones are not defective and that it's probally just something that can be fixed with a software update

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one with this problem. The pinkish/red spot can also be seen in video. I have tried changing white balance and that doesn't work either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_ei0WZOPc

Should I return both my devices? If anyone can confirm they have the same problem, I will keep them since it will mean that my phones are not defective and that it's probally just something that can be fixed with a software update

My feeling is that it shouldn't be on you to have to trouble shoot a brand new device. Take them back and test the 2 new ones at the store. That's what I would do.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Here are some photos in similar conditions (kinda low light but not really, indoor with light coming in through curtains and an incandescent light but its not very light in here)

I can't see any pink spots on mine but not sure - I had a similar issue on a phone a long time ago except that the spot was green rather than pink. 20140419_184429.jpg

The yellow/blue blobs here are the colour of the mattress under the sheet

20140419_194017.jpg]

white piece of card to test again

Yes I would definitely go back to the store and ask for a replacement, provide images if you have to and show ours in comparison i guess? If both phones are the same and from the same store they could have a faulty batch, which means that there is a faulty batch somewhere - definitely ask for a replacement and test the new ones before you leave, if they're the same say you want one from another of their shops

Last edited:

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Does this show up on outdoor photos too?
Not at all. This only happens in certain conditions like the one i explained. It only happens in the morning or evening when it's starting to get dark/light, or with curtains drawn. I just tested and it goes away when I turn on the lights
20140419_205541.jpg
20140419_205552.jpg
20140419_205607.jpg

My feeling is that it shouldn't be on you to have to trouble shoot a brand new device. Take them back and test the 2 new ones at the store. That's what I would do.

They are bought at 2 different places online. Since the problem on occurs in certain situations i think it's a software issue

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Here are some photos in similar conditions (kinda low light but not really, indoor with light coming in through curtains and an incandescent light but its not very light in here)

I can't see any pink spots on mine but not sure - I had a similar issue on a phone a long time ago except that the spot was green rather than pink.

The yellow/blue blobs here are the colour of the mattress under the sheet

white piece of card to test again

Yes I would definitely go back to the store and ask for a replacement, provide images if you have to and show ours in comparison i guess? If both phones are the same and from the same store they could have a faulty batch, which means that there is a faulty batch somewhere - definitely ask for a replacement and test the new ones before you leave, if they're the same say you want one from another of their shops

The light look a bit different in yours. Did you use flash?

Here are some now with lights from my monitor only. Again the problem is gone
20140419_211523.jpg
20140419_211318.jpg

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Having seen similar issues before I actually would think it is a hardware issue, it is caused by low light but a software update would not be able to enable the lens to correct itself if it is faulty as far as I know

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Having seen similar issues before I actually would think it is a hardware issue, it is caused by low light but a software update would not be able to enable the lens to correct itself if it is faulty as far as I know
If it was a hardware issue wouldn't it be on all pictures in all situations?

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so as the problem is due to low light, which could mean that the lenses or the light sensor is faulty and would not be fixable with a firmware update. are both of the phones running the exact same version of the software? Which is it?

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so as the problem is due to low light, which could mean that the lenses or the light sensor is faulty and would not be fixable with a firmware update. are both of the phones running the exact same version of the software? Which is it?

It's both phones bought from different carriers. Both are running android 4.4.2

The problem actually goes away when it's really low light as seen here. These photos are taken with only light from my monitor
20140419_211523.jpg
20140419_211318.jpg
20140419_211308.jpg

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Now I have tested it all day and I have found out what is needed to recreate this problem.

1. It needs to be indoor
2. It needs to be under NATURAL light conditions
3. It needs to be during sunset when it's starting to get dim(NOT when it's already dark), sunrise when it's still dim OR later during the day with curtains drawn and NATURAL sunlight shining through the curtains

This makes me quite sure it has something to do with the white balance being off. I hope more people will test this so we can find out of it's a general problem or it's just a bad batch

haiiyaa

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue on my Nexus 5. I noticed it just now when trying to take close-ups of my sofa to sell it online. View attachment 118717
View attachment 118718
View attachment 118719

I tested it on the following phones and tablets

samsung galaxy s5
samsung galaxy s4
iphone 4s
ipad 4

all of them having the same problem, some of them more pronounced. My mirrorless camera doesn't seem to have this issue though, but it seems to be an issue on all phones and tablets

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Most galaxies do this i have noticed. Pink in bright light and sometimes greyish green in darker light.Mainly on close ups and only indoors.
Mine does it.My S4 did it and also my wifes S3.
Really the only thing that ****s me about samsungs.Fix it allready samsung lol.

Only shows up when the flash is not used.

Iphone 5s has no problem.

Last edited:

StickyGeko

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I posted about this quite a while ago on xda.... no1 took me up on it...but I have the issue too... only indoors in semi poor lighting...stick the flash on and it's gone.... i was going to swap my s5 as I thought it was faulty. ..but then due to all my issues swapping m8s I decided not too

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app