Why does LTE notification stay on while on Wifi (Verizon)?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Unlike my Note 3 the WiFi enabled doesn't disable the LTE signal from showing. Obviously its not using any data but any specific reason? I disabled a lot of apps including the Caller Name ID. If it's normal than no big deal but I'm just nor used to seeing both.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Attachments

• 1397958708400.jpg
    1397958708400.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 136

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: LTE stays on while on Wifi (Verizon)

It's normal, the same notification icon appeared on my G2 and Droid DNA.

Posted via Android Central App

rDubs22

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

Not sure on that. The LTE symbol doesn't show up when on WiFi for me. I'm on US Cellular tho

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

The 4Glte icon is dimmed which means it's not operational. Same on my phone, don't worry.

The panda has spoken

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The 4Glte icon is dimmed which means it's not operational. Same on my phone, don't worry.

The panda has spoken

It's normal, the same notification icon appeared on my G2 and Droid DNA.

I figured as much. I'm just not used to it on Samsung devices. :)

Thanks.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I turned off Mobile Data and the 4G icon still appears with WiFi on and off. Its grayed out but its still an oddity that I'm not used to.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

On AT&T mine does the same thing, no mobile data used when wifi is connected so no big deal... did have me concerned at first though :)

Txchas

May 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same problem on AT&T. But, it is using mobile data as you can see the symbol change as it downloads data every so often.

s5.jpg

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same problem on AT&T. But, it is using mobile data as you can see the symbol change as it downloads data every so often.

View attachment 124070
Does AT&T allow that circuit that essentially pools both 4G service and WiFi to speed things up? I know Verizon doesn't. If that's allowed on AT&T you need to shut it off or you'll be burning through data like a drunken sailor regardless of whether you're on WiFi or not.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 124070

Is this when you send or receive a MMS message (picture)? That's normal if so.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Txchas

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Does AT&T allow that circuit that essentially pools both 4G service and WiFi to speed things up? I know Verizon doesn't. If that's allowed on AT&T you need to shut it off or you'll be burning through data like a drunken sailor regardless of whether you're on WiFi or not.
AT&T does allow it, the Smart network switch, but I have it turned off. Also, I am not sending or receiving MMS when it happens. It has been staying on all the time for the last few days. Most of the data is going through Wifi, but some is coming through 4G.

Harry_Yambag

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

AT&T does allow it, the Smart network switch, but I have it turned off. Also, I am not sending or receiving MMS when it happens. It has been staying on all the time for the last few days. Most of the data is going through Wifi, but some is coming through 4G.
Same thing is happening with me. I just bought 2 s5 actives. One shows just the wifi emblem, the other shows wifi and the 4g lte emblem and both appear to be lit up. Clearly something isn't right.

EDIT: Visual voice mail was the culprit. I went looking through my running apps, noticed that one (which I don't use anyway),turned it off and immediately the LTE emblem disappeared.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Unlike my Note 3 the WiFi enabled doesn't disable the LTE signal from showing. Obviously its not using any data but any specific reason? I disabled a lot of apps including the Caller Name ID. If it's normal than no big deal but I'm just nor used to seeing both.

Actually the 4g is disabled.

The grey symbol only means that 4g is available but NOT in use. WiFi automatically disables 4g to minimize wasting $$$$

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Actually the 4g is disabled.

The grey symbol only means that 4g is available but NOT in use. WiFi automatically disables 4g to minimize wasting $$$$

The 4G is NOT necessarily disabled. On my S5, the 4G was ALWAYS lit up (never grayed), and the first few weeks I had the phone I used more data than I ever have in an entire month.
The transfer arrows under the WiFi and 4G would often be active simultaneously.
For me it was Verizon's Caller Name ID. For someone else it was the Visual Voicemail. Chances are it's a carrier app (those don't use WiFi).
But don't tell people that when WiFi is on, that 4G is automatically disabled, because that's simply not true.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

It shows because it is letting you know that you are in an LTE area, even with data turned off.

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

It shows because it is letting you know that you are in an LTE area, even with data turned off.

Before I disabled caller name ID, 4G was ALWAYS lit up just as bright as WiFi, and the arrows below both would show activity. Since I disabled the CNID, 4G is now present but grayed out and shows no activity when WiFi is connected.
4G WAS on simultaneously with WiFi, now it's not. Other posts in this thread confirm that this was happening in some cases.

Repeatedly stressing your point does not change facts and make you right.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Before I disabled caller name ID, 4G was ALWAYS lit up just as bright as WiFi, and the arrows below both would show activity. Since I disabled the CNID, 4G is now present but grayed out and shows no activity when WiFi is connected.
4G WAS on simultaneously with WiFi, now it's not. Other posts in this thread confirm that this was happening in some cases.

Repeatedly stressing your point does not change facts and make you right.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

So why are you getting so up tight that I was stating something basic? Like wow, first world problems "oh no my 4G still shows my life is over."

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

It's normal for Verizon phone .

Attachments

• 2014-08-17 18.34.12.jpg
    2014-08-17 18.34.12.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 23