Does your S5 get warm?

Becky Murray

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Im thinking about bringing this one back for that exact reason, it always seems to be the right back side of the ohone that gets really warm and Im not sure if its normal or not. Can others relate or give more input?

Posted via Android Central App

My Samsung s5 gets really hot when it's on charge the screen is the worst I'm sure it's not ment to get as hot as it dose. Quite worried about it to be fair it's worse when it's on charge but I've heard stories about Samsung blowing up when on charge and being used. just hoping I'm being paranoid lol

kami diamond

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I got my s5 the second week it came out. Last Friday( 6/27/14) night my phone got hot. It wasn't plugged up, it was on vibrate and where the phone lay on my bed that area was getting warmer. Then the phone kept cutting itself off and on I had no service. I couldn't open apps. Went to the Verizon store and they did a hard master reset and it never booted back up. My s5 was dead. But I got a replacement so far no problems.

Posted via Android Central App

dorlisa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone a few months now and today was the first time I had problems with it getting hot... I was taking pictures and it said I couldnt use the flash or video due to it being too hot. I powered off and restarted but it said the same thing so I had to quit taking pictures for a while... I was kinda irritated with it... if I had been somewhere like a concert or something I would of been very upset.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Try installing the app called CPU-Z. It will show your CPU load & battery temp among man other things. See if your CPU is under load when it feels warm/hot. As mentioned before, you may have something causing your CPU to be working allot it the background. See if the heat correlates with CPU load.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Courtenay Dawn

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Mine only gets really warm when I'm always on it (playing games) or when I'm playing a game that requires a lot of power.

Posted via Android Central App Using Samsung Galaxy S5

Lyla Bowser

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
My phone got HOT in my pocket last week. It was uncomfortable against my hip. I took it out to see why, if some ap was left on or turned on accidentally and nothing, no explanation. It was so hot I thought it was going to burn a hole in it or fry it. I wasn't even using it. Lasted awhile. I looked at notifications just now and it says it had taken measures to cool itself down. Never heard of that so got to searching and found this forum.

PamelaMichel

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I noticed mine getting hot, and I just got this one 2 weeks ago, for my Bday. When it starts getting hot, I check my notification area and turn off some of the features I'm not using. I came here to get answers about this very issue, as my phone was getting hot again this morning, so I read a few comments and decided to turn off "Sync", lower my screen brightness, turned off NFC, and a few others that I am not using and my phone truly began to cool off! I think if you are running features that you don't need at the time, background apps too, it causes the phone to heat up fast.
Hope this helps, y'all helped me!

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I noticed mine getting hot, and I just got this one 2 weeks ago, for my Bday. When it starts getting hot, I check my notification area and turn off some of the features I'm not using. I came here to get answers about this very issue, as my phone was getting hot again this morning, so I read a few comments and decided to turn off "Sync", lower my screen brightness, turned off NFC, and a few others that I am not using and my phone truly began to cool off! I think if you are running features that you don't need at the time, background apps too, it causes the phone to heat up fast.
Hope this helps, y'all helped me!

Exactly.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My phone never gets warm, ever.

but, I control what works and what don't.

If I don't need it "right now", it is turned OFF.

If the phone's screen is locked, everything is turned OFF. No internet, no sync, no nada...
One exception, I always leave Location ON and in High Accuracy Mode. Takes less time to get an accurate locale.

If the phone's screen is unlocked, then the internet is turned ON, but nothing else.

I activate an app and use it, turn it off when I'm through with it.

Not only does it run cool as the ambient temperature, but the battery life is extremely good.

when idling and the screen is locked, the battery use is on the order of about 8% per 24 hours. ( that means the screen never did get unlocked )

Typical use for me is about 35% to 50% battery use per day from 0500 to 2200 hours, but that is only on days I am out working.

when I am home, I use the desktop PC and the phone sits unloved....

Brian_Blaire

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
My phone got HOT in my pocket last week. It was uncomfortable against my hip. I took it out to see why, if some ap was left on or turned on accidentally and nothing, no explanation. It was so hot I thought it was going to burn a hole in it or fry it. I wasn't even using it. Lasted awhile. I looked at notifications just now and it says it had taken measures to cool itself down. Never heard of that so got to searching and found this forum.

When it does that u just need 2 restart ur phone. Could be an out of control app u dont kno about... always works

My S5 only gets warm when i use mobile data, other than that i can watch full movies or play big games while charging and itll stay cool

Posted from Samsung Galaxy S5

Pamela Hodgkins

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have had my phone since may. And tonight for the first time it got hot. I touched the screen and it was hot. do not know what to do. I had the phone plugged into my charger. have since unplugged, and it has started cooling down.

PamelaMichel

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone since may. And tonight for the first time it got hot. I touched the screen and it was hot. do not know what to do. I had the phone plugged into my charger. have since unplugged, and it has started cooling down.

Pamela, what I am about to say is probably a bit controversial, but I've experienced this not only myself with Android, but also with a family member with Apple and bought her a new piece of equipment because of it. Okay here goes, you said you had it plugged in... Are you using Samsung equipment to charge your phone? I found in other situations besides just my sister's that using off brand chargers, USB cables, etc can cause minor and major problems. My sis burned up her iPhone using a non brand charger from Walmart. I bought her the correct one and after Apple replaced her phone she had no more problems.
Now, some ppl are going to disagree with me, but I strongly believe in using the correct cables same brand no matter how much the cost. I know the S5 has an odd shaped charger, but companies like RocketFish, etc are making compatible chargers.
Just a thought.

Also, the fact that your screen is getting hot, now that is one I've not heard before, and sounds dangerous, yikes! Hopefully someone here on the forum can help you.
Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC