samsung music app does not recognize songs on micro sd

asignupe99

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue. If I connect my device to my computer and manually move the music to the memory card, the music apps won't recognize it. If I remove the memory card and insert it into the computer, then manually add the music files to the memory card, the device deletes most of what I added once I re-insert. I've tried three different times tonight adding several music files to what's already there and once I re-insert the card into the S5 it only picks up one or two files. When I try again, same results, but it recognizes a different file or two and the new file it initially recognized is no longer there.

This is a real pain in the *** and makes me not want to continue with Android. It's a beautiful device no doubt but I did not have these issues with iPhone. My music is one of my primary uses and not being able to properly access it is EXTREMELY frustrating.

Any help?

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This work for me

Is that with or without plugging phone to computer. My question his how do u move music to sd card without plugging into computer. I created that file doesn't work rooted my device still can't find solution. I can do it if plugged to computer I know! I'm trying to figure out how to move music without plugging to computer.

This work for me

How do u move music to sd card without plugging into computer I have rooted device

Posted from galaxyS5

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Wildey

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
My problem was that I had manually copied a playlist file to the Playlist and Music folders in an attempt to have custom playlists created outside of Google Play. It did nothing until about a day later and then *bam* no music anymore. I deleted the files I had created and the music came back.

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
If all your music is pinned, then no you won't need/use data. You will only need data for music that is not pinned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I second (third? fourth?) this. I use a USB thumb drive attached to my S5 (too much music for my microSD). In Google Play, I selected the USB drive as the source, selected "wifi only" for streaming, and on the main menu, selected "Download Only" as the option. When I play songs, if I disconnect the USB stick, music stops, confirming that the music is locally sourced, not streamed.

Lotte Smeets

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I used Rocket player to play my music and it sees everything perfectly.. It downloaded all my album covers and I'm having no problems whatsoever. I checked to see if the default samsung music app works... It does.
Thank you so much for this , i was having the same problems and the rocket player helped me out and fixed it all.

AlfaIndigo

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
this is a late reply. I KNOW
im not sure if the problem you have is the same as mine, but I recently bought a Samsung and took the memory card I had in my bb and insert it only to have my song not playing and my pictures not showing.... after searching the web to no avail I got ingenious...
I hooked up the phone via usb, to the computer, opened the memory card copied all the songs and playlists and save them in a folder on the computer hard drive< and delete them off the memory card. closed everything reopened it and copied them back from the computer and put them back on the memory card....PS I kept the memory card in the phone at all time and phone turned on....... got my songs playing on the Samsung music app>

don't know why it worked. think the phones wants to format them itself or something>> i'm so not a techy obviously>> but I post this here hoping it can make some else life a bit easier

I did the same with some my pics again it worked> but it was better to just save them on my external harddrive........

slowbrochillin

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
1. Plug android into computer

2. Go to your plugged in android (SAMSUNG-SM-G900A, or something similar).

3. Click on Card

4. Click on Android

5. Create folder called Music, next to the "data" folder

6. Put any music in here that you want to play on your default Samsung Music app

The Logic:

The main music app is designed to look for a folder named Music, as this is where it pulls the songs from on your phones local storage.

If you notice where the Music folder on your phone's local storage is in relation to the file's depth, it's one level down from SAMSUNG-SM-G900A, or whatever your phone's name is.

For the SAMSUNG-SM-G900A file tree, "Phone" is one level down but for "Card", "Android" is one level down because it has to create an image of the phone for communication purposes. "Phone" and "Android" essentially serve the same purposes in relation to their "parent" files.

The parent file for "Phone" is SAMSUNG-SM-G900A and the parent for "Android" is "Card". Your SD card is acting independently of your phone to establish itself as part of the phone, a phone image within a phone.

The Music app is only designed to search for this folder one level down in all phone storage locations, such as your SD card.

So to compensate for it's "shallow" way of searching for the Music folder, you create the Music file on your "card" but also inside the Android folder, mirroring the actual phone's storage system.

Khanya January

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm also experiencing the very same problem as the user above My music files on my sd card wont be recognised by the phone's music player. I decided to take the advice and use Google Music to play all the music files present on the device. Still quite disappointing but it works none the less... Just want to know why music files wont show up on the music player.

Helium Rhode

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site

3. Click on Card

4. Click on Android

6. Put any music in here that you want to play on your default Samsung Music app

The Logic:

The main music app is designed to look for a folder named Music, as this is where it pulls the songs from on your phones local storage.

If you notice where the Music folder on your phone's local storage is in relation to the file's depth, it's one level down from SAMSUNG-SM-G900A, or whatever your phone's name is.

For the SAMSUNG-SM-G900A file tree, "Phone" is one level down but for "Card", "Android" is one level down because it has to create an image of the phone for communication purposes. "Phone" and "Android" essentially serve the same purposes in relation to their "parent" files.

The parent file for "Phone" is SAMSUNG-SM-G900A and the parent for "Android" is "Card". Your SD card is acting independently of your phone to establish itself as part of the phone, a phone image within a phone.

The Music app is only designed to search for this folder one level down in all phone storage locations, such as your SD card.

So to compensate for it's "shallow" way of searching for the Music folder, you create the Music file on your "card" but also inside the Android folder, mirroring the actual phone's storage system.

Thanks for this, this fixes the problem for me!
I can't understand why they "improve" things like that; on my old Samsung Charge dragging and dropping worked no matter where you put the files. I guess the new music isn't as smart as the old one...SMH

DimiChar

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
On your main screen, go to "Apps".
Then go to "My Files".
Press the menu button and go to "Settings".
There you will see a list named "Select directories".
Find "Set music directory".
Set your external sd card as the default.
Rescan your music files and the default samsung music app will be able to recognize/play the songs saved on your sd.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

michaelksmith1970

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
A lot of responses but no real answers. Why does the android app not play music that is moved onto the SD card using a computer and how can it be fixed with out having to do anything unusual or technical. Android is Linux based and should be reading mp3 files without any issues so the questions is what is it about the file extension naming when moving files with your computer that causes the android music app to not play the mp3 files?

Ali Medani

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i found a solution, you have to get your music and then click all then it will show some option to move or copy or something like that, so next go to your samsung music and swipe left till the tab 'folders' you might see a bunch of folders and then see the location, go back to your music files and move the files to that specific location. It should work.

mbr12

Feb 16, 2019
Visit site

3. Click on Card

4. Click on Android

The Logic:

This worked! Nothing else did. However, doing it through the computer wasn't what made it work.
On the phone go to apps/my files/all files/sd card/android/data/music folder. In the upper right tap the 3 dots, then tap move. Then go back to data and move the folder next to it. It was instantaneous and it WORKED!
Thanks!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech