samsung music app does not recognize songs on micro sd

michelle1333

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just finally switched from an iPhone to the new Samsung Galaxy s5, so excuse me if this is a redundant question. I have searched everywhere for an answer and can't find one.

I used "DoubleTwist" to transfer all my songs from iTunes to the s5. When I open the "music" app (which I'm assuming is a samsung app as it came pre installed on my device) all my playlists/artists/songs are there perfectly. I moved all of the songs to the micro sd so that I can have more storage space on the device itself. Now, when I open the same music app it is empty. I can play the songs only if I go to "my files" ---> "sd card" --> "music". They is extremely annoying because that option only has all my thousands of songs in one giant list, no playlists/albums/artists, etc.

I contacted samsung support and I'm not sure if it's me, but they don't get what I'm saying. Here is is the conversation:

Meghan: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hi! I actually have a galaxy s5, but that was not an option in the dropdown menu
Visitor: I am having issues with my music files and the micro sd card. I've looked through some forums and I can't seem to get my answer
Meghan: Not a proble. I'm very glad to assist you.
Meghan: * problem.
Meghan: Please let me know the issue that you are facing with the SD-card and files in the device.
Visitor: I just switched to this phone from an iphone and I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out the itunes issue. I downloaded doubletwis, got my music files on the phone, and everything worked fine... but...
Visitor: I transferred the music files to the micro sd card, and then when I click on the "music" app on the phone, none of the files are there
Visitor: i can only play them by going to "my files" and then clicking on the songs
Visitor: but that does not work for me because I want playlisrs
Visitor: *playlists
Meghan: I understand that you want to play the songs that are copied from the itunes from the playlist. Is that correct?
Visitor: I can play them when they are on the device storage. However when I move them to the sd card storage I can no longer play them
Meghan: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .
Visitor: is there another way to look for the model number on the phone? I don't want to take the battery out as it's updating some files right now
Meghan: Okay, you can check it under settings >> about device.
Meghan: Are you able to see those files in the Music player?
Visitor: model number ****
Meghan: Thank you for model number.
Visitor: I am able to see the files in the music player only when the files are on the device storage, not when they are on the sd card storage
Meghan: have you tried that SD-card placing in another device?
Visitor: what do you mean the sd-card placing?
Meghan: have you checked the Sd-card inserting in to another device that you are able to play them.
Visitor: the problem is not with the sd card. the sd card works perfectly. the problem is with the "music app"
Meghan: In this situation I request you to install another music app and check for the result.
Visitor: but this is the music app that comes with the galaxy. I should be allowed to use it
Meghan: Have you tried moving the files in the music folder in the SD-card?
Visitor: yes. that is exactly what I am talking about
Meghan: I will be right with you.
Meghan: Thank you for information.
Meghan: I'm checking the results for you. Please give me a minute.
Visitor: ok. thank you
Meghan: Please follow the instructions I give you.
Visitor: ok
Meghan: Please tap on the settings >> application manager>> all >> music application >> clear cache.
Visitor: the music app is not in the applications manager
Visitor: oh wait. found it
Visitor: ok cleared cache
Meghan: okay. Please do it.
Meghan: After doing that I request you to remove all the play-lists that are created previously, please create a new play-lists now and check for the result.
Visitor: I think we are having a miscommunication here
Visitor: Is there a way I can talk to someone on the phone?
Meghan: Yes, you can contact our voice team.
Meghan: Or there is also remote access to fix the issue.
Meghan: You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).
Visitor: thank you

I would really appreciate any help that you guys could give me! Thanks a ton!

kooritsuki

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, can you clarify whether you're having a problem pulling up your playlists in the "Music" app or is the "Music" app not detecting the songs in your SD card?

michelle1333

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, can you clarify whether you're having a problem pulling up your playlists in the "Music" app or is the "Music" app not detecting the songs in your SD card?

Both.

Once I moved the music files to the SD card, the music app shows that I don't have any music. As long as I leave them on the device storage there are no problems. It seems like the app is not recognizing that the location of the files has moved to an sd card, but I have no idea how to change that.

kooritsuki

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I can't say about importing from Double Twist, since I directly plug in my s5 to my PC and dump my music files in the external sd card's music folder... but my "Music" app recognize it no problem.

Maybe you can try that with a couple of files and then see if "Music" recognize them? If they do, then maybe it's a double twist import issue?

I think you also have Google Play Music pre-installed on your phone. Have you tried using that app to see if it detects your music? If it does, then it must be a problem with the stock "Music" app then.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You may be looking for your music with the DoubleTwist app.

If that is the case, then try opening the "Music" app. That is one supplied by Samsung, I believe.

DoubleTwist disabled external storage because of the change in write permissions for external storage that came with KitKat. This new policy is breaking most photo and music syncing apps. Not one of Google's finest hours.

michelle1333

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
You may be looking for your music with the DoubleTwist app.

If that is the case, then try opening the "Music" app. That is one supplied by Samsung, I believe.

DoubleTwist disabled external storage because of the change in write permissions for external storage that came with KitKat. This new policy is breaking most photo and music syncing apps. Not one of Google's finest hours.

Thanks for the tip! But no, I am using the regular music app to look for my music, not doubletwist.

I can't say about importing from Double Twist, since I directly plug in my s5 to my PC and dump my music files in the external sd card's music folder... but my "Music" app recognize it no problem.

Maybe you can try that with a couple of files and then see if "Music" recognize them? If they do, then maybe it's a double twist import issue?

I think you also have Google Play Music pre-installed on your phone. Have you tried using that app to see if it detects your music? If it does, then it must be a problem with the stock "Music" app then.

I've tried that, and yes it does see my songs, but then I have to remake all the Playlists that I have on iTunes. I have hundreds of songs in each one so it would take me hours. Thanks so much for trying to help though! Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've tried that, and yes it does see my songs, but then I have to remake all the Playlists that I have on iTunes. I have hundreds of songs in each one so it would take me hours. Thanks so much for trying to help though! Much appreciated.

Just transfer to Google play music via your computer and all of your playlists will be there.

Posted via Android Central App

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just transfer to Google play music via your computer and all of your playlists will be there.

Posted via Android Central App

What he said. Easiest process for getting music to your Android device. Best thing is it syncs across all your Android devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I reformatted the card. Then I took it out of the phone , put it in the card adapter and then put it in my laptop. From there I transferred everything from .wma , mp3, and flac files and copied them onto the card. I used Rocket player to play my music and it sees everything perfectly.. It downloaded all my album covers and I'm having no problems whatsoever. I checked to see if the default samsung music app works... It does.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
+1 on this question. I think it DOES use data. The whole point of moving the actual songs is to play from the device and not stream.

You can listen to all music online, or you pin (download) music to your device for offline use. You can even select where you want to download to, the device or SD card.

lefty6string

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
You can listen to all music online, or you pin (download) music to your device for offline use. You can even select where you want to download to, the device or SD card.

How do I do this? Figured it out...the PIN!!

Now how to I make sure songs go to SD card and not phone memory?

Last edited:

michelle1333

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
+1 on this question. I think it DOES use data. The whole point of moving the actual songs is to play from the device and not stream.

My phone is pinning everything to the SD card right now. But I still don't know if the app needs data to run. I need to know because I go hiking a lot and there is zero signal out there. So I emailed Google. I'll let you know what they say.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My phone is pinning everything to the SD card right now. But I still don't know if the app needs data to run. I need to know because I go hiking a lot and there is zero signal out there. So I emailed Google. I'll let you know what they say.

If all your music is pinned, then no you won't need/use data. You will only need data for music that is not pinned.

Last edited:

Neckman

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm experience the same problem you have.
Did you find a solution for it?
How did you solve it?

I just solved this problem on my new phone by unmounting and remounting my SD card. After I did that, all of my audio apps could see the music on the card. Good luck.