07-28-2018 08:17 AM
72 123
tools
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm on Sprint and I hope it's just my sd card as it seems okay the last 2 days and I have not ever had the message about my camera failing...... fingers crossed
    I have sprint and a galaxy s5. Some of my pictures in my gallery are turning black. Does that mean I have to get a new SD card?
    05-01-2015 12:21 PM
    I had exactly the same problem, grey box over pics, and distorted pics, I bought a new Samsung memory card, and photos are fine now
    05-03-2015 06:47 AM
    Ugh, I've been going crazy with these half grey photos. I'm going to try everything suggested here. Wish me luck!
    05-17-2015 10:26 AM
    Many times this is caused by the Media Storage database being corrupt. Go into the phone's settings\apps\app manager\all scroll to Media Storage clear data and restart your phone. After reboot, go into the phone's gallery and it will start to rebuild the Media Storage database. At first it may appear that all of the photos are gone, but just give it a moment while it rebuilds the database. This can take more time if there are a large number of photos on the phone.
    06-19-2015 10:32 AM
    Many times this is caused by the Media Storage database being corrupt. Go into the phone's settings\apps\app manager\all scroll to Media Storage clear data and restart your phone. After reboot, go into the phone's gallery and it will start to rebuild the Media Storage database. At first it may appear that all of the photos are gone, but just give it a moment while it rebuilds the database. This can take more time if there are a large number of photos on the phone.
    I wanted to bump this thread since I signed up for this site just for this problem. I tried your suggestion to no avail.

I tried uploading some of the pictures for examples, but this forum says I need 10 posts before I can post links/upload so I guess I can't help there.

However, I'll say that I am also using a Samsung 64GB Pro micro-SD card. A couple weeks after I got it, my phone said the entire card was corrupted after I had moved most of my apps to the external memory. This forced me to reformat the card, losing all my pictures/apps/data. After that though, the card worked fine. Then, this box over the pictures corruption problem started about a month ago. Has anyone found a solution this yet?
    07-07-2015 01:27 PM
    Finally Hope has AREIVED I have found the solution.

1. Go to gallery
    2. Hit hidden settings touch screen button with the 3 lines (bottom left button on phone opposite to Back button or left to home screen button)

3. Hit settings

4. Hit accounts - 1st tab mine was my Gmail account.

5. Turn off and uncheck sync photo back up
    6. Problem solved

7. For extra security on gallery settings page uncheck "SNS data management" to off or "Sync Only Via WiFi" to off or uncheck box.
    08-02-2015 06:52 AM
    I had the same problem with my S5, downloaded a different camera app and it solved the issue.
    08-20-2015 06:32 PM
    Ok so I was experiencing the same issue with my Galaxy S5 and while I'm not sure what the cause is I found an easy and inexpensive solution. No, you don't need to buy a new SD Card.... that will fix the problem, but it's total overkill and not necessary.

What you need is a file manager app (such as Astro File Manager is what I used) and you need to navigate to the location on your SD card (or internal storage) where the pictures taken by the camera are saved. You want to look for a file that has no thumbnail and open that file in the gallery. For me this was the file with the newest date. You should see an icon that looks like the head and shoulders of a human being (kind of like the icons for restrooms) instead of a picture. Delete that file using the file manager and voila! problem solved. You could also change the directory where the photos are saved (in the camera settings) to solve the problem, but then you would not ever be able to save in the directory with this broken file.

Also, some people have downloaded a new camera app to solve the problem. This works because it saves the photos in a different directory than the "stock" camera app.

I hope this helps some of you who have run into this issue. For me, I was about to go out and buy a new phone when I discovered the solution whilst moving the 'ole bowels! (yes, a thinking man's paradise! lol)
    10-12-2015 06:00 PM
    I agree, I am so afraid I'm going to swap this phone again and have the same gray squared pictures! Mine also was freezing-like freeze frame/ jumping and sound cutting in and out on my videos I shot. Was about to return it for that when all of a sudden it started playing them perfect again (those videos were on the sd card). But I cannot get the gray squares to disappear yet. I have noticed that all of my pictures that are gray squared were taken outside (everything normal mode/auto), but then again I take most of my pictures outside.
    12-13-2015 08:57 AM
    The gray screen over pics is due to the viewer mode has a virus or a bad flaw when you choose a pic it pulls up gray or half gray or less, but at least 40% do this only when you instruct your phone to pull a individual file to see close up, this due to the gallery having a viewer issue. You can download to computer and it's over. Pics are awesone. Our viewer mode is messed up.
    12-13-2015 09:05 AM
    My question is,,,How do we fix it?? Has anybody contacted Samsung I got a note4. My s4 is almost flawless, don't have printing ability.
    12-13-2015 09:09 AM
    Have an issue on certain photos taken on camera. The picture is at first fine, then suddenly a grey box appears over the photo. The preview pic on the bottom shows the full pic but when you look at the full photo the grey box appears. When you flip through the photo, the full photo appears very quickly then the grey box appears. Anyone having this issue? I'm already waiting for a replacement phone for a separate issue. Maybe the phone's a lemon. Thank you in advance!
    Hi I have a massive san disk 128 gb card in my s5 its been working fine recently all videos started getting corrupted when I changed it to device storage it was fine and it convinced me that there was something wrong with my memory card. But I just remembered I installed an app Dubmash which has something to do with videos to my greatest surprise deleted it and it started working fine.
    If you have any app that has something to do with pics or videos it might be that.
    Delete all recent apps and than try again to see I hope it helps a lot of pple as there was nothing there for me and I have been looking for a week.
    01-25-2016 12:26 AM
    Duplicate deleted.
    03-03-2016 11:05 AM
    Your photo is corrupted due to memory shortage, caused by automatic uploading of photos to a server (the cloud) such as Apple, Google and law enforcement agencies. Even if you feel it was unauthorized, you in fact authorized it via the "unrestricted access and uploading" clause in nearly every app and EULA you agree to install. These entities battle for your phone's resources, especially operating memory, to quickly succeed with uploads as soon as the photo is taken. Keeping up with the latest headlines on your phone's compromised privacy? Google it.
    03-03-2016 11:10 AM
    Trying to switch back to SD is also when it happens to me too. Also having it glitch with save to SD card. I am going to buy a new card today. I have searched and searched for solutions and you guys have been the only help! THANKS!
    04-21-2016 06:46 AM
    I had recently played with the cloud options. THANKS!
    04-21-2016 06:51 AM
    I have good news so far. I've taken loads of pictures, and videos in both full hd and the UHD size videos and both are good with this new card. I don't know if it matters but this new card says it writes up to 40 mb/s 266x, where as the PNY 64gb 10 class I had only wrote 10mb/s. But it was probably just the card altogether. I also talked to another person who was having the same issue and they told me that they also had had one grayed out pic on their devise, not on sd card BUT that he said he believed that it happened when he was trying to move pics from SD back to devise to try and save them when they had been corrupted on a bad card, but that only one went through because of the bad card. So that was very good to hear also for me since I couldn't understand one being on my devise, but I did indeed try just what he did.
    I have even saved a couple tubemate large videos off youtube to card and SO far everything is great. This card is noticeably faster than my previous card, so right now I'm a very happy camper! I was also so worried about having to exchange yet another phone since the first one had a bad power button. So right now I'm really loving the phone, knock on wood, haa.
    Now I'm just going to have to take another chance and order this same card on Best Buys website in a 64gb at least size since no one around here has them in stock. I'm taking so many videos (between my dogs and my new first grandchild) that I know I'll fill this 32gb up fast. I'm really surprized that your Samsung was bad because most of what I read when people have a card issue it's with a Sandisk and they all say to only get a Samsung, but this Ultra Plus seems really good, so I'm going to try it in a larger size.
    So anyway, I think it's your card as well and let me know when you get a new card if that fixes it and I hope to keep happy with this one.
    I have had this happen to me on a Samsung 4s and 5s. And I remember when it started happening to. Both times was after I had dropped my phone. It fall must have damade the SD card. I say SD card because after I got a replacement SD card it worked fine until I dropped my phone again. Nor samsung or SanDisk will admit it's their fault I had to take the lost for my 32g SD cards. Cheap now but paid a lot then. I am on here because all my vacation pic I moved to SD card is all fked. All the family pic is lost because my Dropbox was full. Samsung and Sandisk. \n[]m hope you could see my fingers!
    05-27-2016 06:25 PM
    Did any of you manage to recover your pictures ? My S4 does this it's so annoying !
    05-31-2016 10:11 PM
    Have an issue on certain photos taken on camera. The picture is at first fine, then suddenly a grey box appears over the photo. The preview pic on the bottom shows the full pic but when you look at the full photo the grey box appears. When you flip through the photo, the full photo appears very quickly then the grey box appears. Anyone having this issue? I'm already waiting for a replacement phone for a separate issue. Maybe the phone's a lemon. Thank you in advance!
    10-01-2016 08:32 PM
    Mine is doing it as well Very frustrating I have not found a way to fix it.
    10-01-2016 08:32 PM
    I have had this same issue. The first time it happened I did a factory reset and it worked for awhile then started doing it again. I finally downloaded a different camera app and it is functioning fine. I hate having to have a different camera app though and lost some great photos.

I will try the new SD card, but not sure that's going to fix the issue.

Is it the camera app itself?
    11-01-2016 11:08 AM
    I have a Samsung s5 Active and losing my pictures has been driving me insane. The grey box happens with SD card photos and internally stored photos.
    07-28-2018 08:17 AM
72 123