Fragile Charging Port Cover

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I had a lemon, but yesterday, went I went to charge my Galaxy S5, carefully opening the port like always....it simply came off...a clean break. No force was applied or anything. Lucky, it was apparent to the AT&T store, and they swapped out my phone without any problems (well...the third store I visited did). I was ready to switch back to my iphone 5s...but lucky they swapped it out. It was apparent that it was a fault in the device and not from applied torque.

Anyway, they stated that I was the first person they had seen with this problem. Lets hope that this is the case, as I would hate for this to be the norm. I know some people hate the charging port...but if it makes it water proof (resistant), I am not going to complain.

Anyway, be careful with those ports.

fandroid18

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The port is annoying and makes me nervous but I guess if it comes off its not the end of the world and the phone still functions.

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully I had a lemon, but yesterday, went I went to charge my Galaxy S5, carefully opening the port like always....it simply came off...a clean break. No force was applied or anything. Lucky, it was apparent to the AT&T store, and they swapped out my phone without any problems (well...the third store I visited did). I was ready to switch back to my iphone 5s...but lucky they swapped it out. It was apparent that it was a fault in the device and not from applied torque.

Anyway, they stated that I was the first person they had seen with this problem. Lets hope that this is the case, as I would hate for this to be the norm. I know some people hate the charging port...but if it makes it water proof (resistant), I am not going to complain.

Glad to hear they swapped it for you. There is already a thread here http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/380144-charger-cover-broke-4.html where lots of people have had the same problem including myself. I might take it back to my network provider and see what they say. I have also emailed Samsung about the issue who said I would need to pay for it to be fixed since I caused the damage. I politely emailed back explaining given the number of users that have had this issue after just two weeks surely it is either a manufacturing fault or the item is not fit for purpose. They have not emailed back yet.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The port is annoying and makes me nervous but I guess if it comes off its not the end of the world and the phone still functions.
True, the phone still works until it gets wet then it won't. This is a poor design in terms of "waterproofing" the device. They made the headphone jack with waterproofing in mind but I guess they couldn't do it the same way for the USB3.0 port which kinda sucks.

carebear810

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Mine came off yesterday. Came right off the weld while I was trying to release it to charge my phone. Been fighting with Verizon since last night to get Samsung to replace phone. MY PHONE IS ONLY 19 DAYS OLD

LJ Washington

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
You should call for Everyone to email Samsung, faulty design. This would have worked for the ear phone port but not for the charge where its used daily+

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
True, the phone still works until it gets wet then it won't. This is a poor design in terms of "waterproofing" the device. They made the headphone jack with waterproofing in mind but I guess they couldn't do it the same way for the USB3.0 port which kinda sucks.

Remember it's "water resistant" not "waterproof". But yes, the port cover design makes me nervous.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been concerned enough to get a new back that's wireless charging compatible, (30 bucks..sigh) and a wireless charging pad? I am seriously thinking about doing it because let's face it, the cover is really freaking flimsy and it's just a matter of time before it breaks off.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I will, because charging ports in general seem to be prone to wear and tear with the constant plugging and unplugging of the port. My issue is in the past the wireless charging covers in the past have made the phone thicker and made it so I can't use certain cases anymore.

SanDeggo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
When I was really cool back in 2004 I had a Samsung Slider phone with a charging cover and it is still attached to this day. This is really odd that people are having problems with this.

Fdmstng99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I ordered it from Samsung.com. I'm sure I probably could have gotten them cheaper elsewhere, but figured.hoped that I'd get it quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same place I ordered mine from. Used the 50% off code Samsung gave me when I registered my device.

robinrh

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Same thing just happened to me, I would be interested to know what they say about this, definitely a poor design, the cover was so tight to begin with, you had to fight just to get the USB Charge connector inserted.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

yea its a design flaw, rather than you being rough with it
Glad to hear they swapped it for you. There is already a thread here http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/380144-charger-cover-broke-4.html where lots of people have had the same problem including myself. I might take it back to my network provider and see what they say. I have also emailed Samsung about the issue who said I would need to pay for it to be fixed since I caused the damage. I politely emailed back explaining given the number of users that have had this issue after just two weeks surely it is either a manufacturing fault or the item is not fit for purpose. They have not emailed back yet.
screw samsung...you should raise HELL on their fb page
even the headphone jack has issues when submerjing in water

When I was really cool back in 2004 I had a Samsung Slider phone with a charging cover and it is still attached to this day. This is really odd that people are having problems with this.

its a design flaw on some devices...

also back then, there wasn't such a rush for mass production and getting products out as quickly as possible as it is with the s5, iphone, etc so QA was probably a lot better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol