screen is on all night while charging, anyway to turn it off

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm within my 2nd week with the galaxy S5, still trying to learn my way around, always been a fan of Android so this is my first experience and so far I love the phone and the OS.
I have a question, I activated the notification panel and also added the Nils notification. I?m ok with the phone turning on any notification and then turning off but at night when I connect it to the charger and turn it off it probably takes 5 minutes before it turns on and stays like that all night long.

Any ideas on how to turning the screen off without turning the phone off, I don?t like turning my phone off since you never know when you will get a late call. Btw, I try to shut the screen and it stay off for a couple minutes but turns on again.

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
check that daydream is off 1st before reset

settings/display/daydream this runs a screensaver whilst charging sounds like you have it on but no saver selected

daydream is off. if I do a factory reset will anything drastically change? I havent tinkered much with the phone, possibly assign pics and ringtone to contacts, new wallpaper, a couple apps and the notification Nils.
anything that I have to worry when resetting?

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
daydream is off. if I do a factory reset will anything drastically change? I havent tinkered much with the phone, possibly assign pics and ringtone to contacts, new wallpaper, a couple apps and the notification Nils.
anything that I have to worry when resetting?

If most of that is backed up with google it should come back when you sign back in with your account :)

Have you turned off and tried charging to see if you get the nice bubble animation ?

Then turn on and charge to see if screen still stays on

Maybe the charger or the socket is loose and the power is fluctuating ? do you hear a beep when power is connected or when it's charging sometimes ?

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Also if you have the developer options on there is an option to keep the screen on while charging. You might check that also.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
my S5 screen turns off at the time out I have set... which is 10 minutes.

But, if you will install Battery Doctor app, you will gain a faster charge time, and more control over the screen and other apps.
Battery Doctor will kill off all apps that are running after the screen times out.
You can set up exceptions if you want.

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the tip, I will check the app out. I checked last night, I noticed that when I put the phone face down it remains off, you might ask how i know this because my dogs woke me up a couple times during the night and I flipped the phone and the screen was off. Same thing had happened night before but the phone was facing up, every time I woke up the screen was on.
Might be a light sensor or something?

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I read this on a S4 forum and it worked, the problem was on the developers option, the Stay Awake was clicked on, this means the screen will never sleep while charging. If you are having this problem just go to Settings, Developers option and unselect Stay Awake.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Also if you have the developer options on there is an option to keep the screen on while charging. You might check that also.

I had to do this to keep the screen off during charging. enable developer mode. Once in developer mode turn off the option to keep the screen on while charging like AZwldcats said :)

Ynnuendo1991

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Mine will come back on when the charge hits 100%. My case has a front panel so I won't see it but it still bothers me.

UncleBubby

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem. The screen comes on with a notification (usually that it is fully charged) and will then stay on. Daydream is off, SmartStay is off and the StayAwake on the Developer Options is grayed out and I can't find a way to wake it so it isn't gray to be able to uncheck it if it is. Any other ideas?

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a safety feature...batteries will develop a memory over time. You should always unplug your rechargeable devices when they are full, likewise, you should drain them all the way down occasionally too.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a safety feature...batteries will develop a memory over time. You should always unplug your rechargeable devices when they are full, likewise, you should drain them all the way down occasionally too.

I don't think this applies to modern batteries. It was true a few years ago, but from my reading, "battery memory" isn't an issue with lithium batteries. It's also a little risky to drain a lithium battery to zero, because if it reaches true zero, it's irreversibly discharged.

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. The screen comes on with a notification (usually that it is fully charged) and will then stay on. Daydream is off, SmartStay is off and the StayAwake on the Developer Options is grayed out and I can't find a way to wake it so it isn't gray to be able to uncheck it if it is. Any other ideas?

Go to the settings menu on your GS5.
Scroll down to the "System section and tap "About Device."
Now scroll down to "Build number."
Tap the "Build number" section seven times. (You'll see a warning that you're about to unlock developer options.)
Now back out to the main settings menu, and you'll see "Developer options" listed.

UncleBubby

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
It isn't Developer Options that is grayed out, it is the StayAwake inside that that is grayed out. And it's a little tough to unplug your device when it fully charges in the middle of the night ;P

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I read this on a S4 forum and it worked, the problem was on the developers option, the Stay Awake was clicked on, this means the screen will never sleep while charging. If you are having this problem just go to Settings, Developers option and unselect Stay Awake.

Fixed my wife's S5 - worked like a charm!! Thanks a million!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC