Galaxy S5: Is any replacement battery better than the original?

K83476552

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I see on ebay plenty of replacement batteries with a higher mAh rating than the original one, but I guess not all of them are really better than Samsung's.
Do you have any suggestions on a really good replacement that provide at least 25% more battery life?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is any replacement battery better than the original?

I see on ebay plenty of replacement batteries with a higher mAh rating than the original one, but I guess not all of them are really better than Samsung's.
Do you have any suggestions on a really good replacement that provide at least 25% more battery life?

Thanks!

Im positive that if there was a high capacity battery available then Samsung would have put it into the S5. Assuming the batteries on Ebay are correct and they are a high mAh than the genuine Samsung battery then they will likely not be as safe or will be physically bigger or something. There is no reason for Samsung to have used a lower mAh battery than is currently available .
Personally I use my phone quite a lot and still never run the battery down to flat. Given how expensive the phone is it might be worth just buying a genuine replacement battery from Samsung. They are not cheap but at least you know you are putting a approved battery in instead of something that is going to fry the phone.

Hope I am allowed to post links on here ( Someone tell me if I am not )

Why not get one of these and buy a spare battery http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Sync-Battery-Dock-Dual-Charger-Stand-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-SV-G900F-i9600-C3-/141265615256?_trksid=p2054897.l5661

You can carry a spare battery about and then charge both the phone and the extra battery in one go when you get home.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Just be careful with the non-oem type batteries on eBay. Just because is lists a higher capacity battery than oem, it doesn't mean it is. Lots of threads (not so much with the S5, but give it time) with the S3 and S4 where people have purchased generic type batteries. Made the device hot and they didn't last as long as the oem battery. My advice is to get a genuine replacement battery when they are available.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Just be careful with the non-oem type batteries on eBay. Just because is lists a higher capacity battery than oem, it doesn't mean it is. Lots of threads (not so much with the S5, but give it time) with the S3 and S4 where people have purchased generic type batteries. Made the device hot and they didn't last as long as the oem battery. My advice is to get a genuine replacement battery when they are available.

A third-party battery can also be unsafe and explode. Admittedly it is extremely rare, but if it happens and you are using a third party battery then Samsung would point the finger at the third party battery

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

A third-party battery can also be unsafe and explode. Admittedly it is extremely rare, but if it happens and you are using a third party battery then Samsung would point the finger at the third party battery

Yep, you are correct.

On a side note, I used a Hyperion battery with my S4 and I have to say they were pretty good.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I've learned my lesson throughout the years. Most batteries (even supposedly OEM) online are fake (not original) and low quality. The only ones that are original are direct (NOT 3rd party seller) from Amazon or the manufacturers themselves. This is only if you're looking for OEM batteries.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I've learned my lesson throughout the years. Most batteries (even supposedly OEM) online are fake (not original) and low quality. The only ones that are original are direct (NOT 3rd party seller) from Amazon or the manufacturers themselves. This is only if you're looking for OEM batteries.

Very true. I usually buy batteries directly from Samsung using the 50% off coupon.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Very true. I usually buy batteries directly from Samsung using the 50% off coupon.

I had no idea Samsung had coupons! Thats good to know!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

There are a few quality aftermarket brands (I swear by Anker), but the no name stuff on eBay should be avoided. They may be 10 bucks or whatever, but from personal experience, they only last for a couple of months before dying.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Whenever you hear that someones phone blew up. I heard about 3 in the last 2 years. It was an aftermarket battery,

Posted via Android Central App

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I have found, over the years, that Anker batteries are dependable and I have never had a problem with them.

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

rXu3670

Sent from my Verizon Sansung Galaxy S III

Says no longer valid, Thanks anyway.

I did find this one, 10% off orders over ?50 NPR-14G-QKY-WSZ

fandroid18

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

Where can I buy an additional battery? It doesn't need to be better, same one is fine. Would the carrier sell the individual phone battery or best buy? I just want it as a back up

finndo77

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

the issue with off brand batteries is the efficiency rating, purely examples... if the samsung battery is 90% efficient, then it actually puts out 90% of the rated value of mAh (leared all this researching extrenal battery packs and ended up with Anker due to this information), most off brand batteries provide 60%-80% efficiency, so would need to be at least 20% higher rated in mAh to give the same output.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

No, but I have a Zerolemon it's pretty good still not as good as the original battery.

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

There are a few quality aftermarket brands (I swear by Anker), but the no name stuff on eBay should be avoided. They may be 10 bucks or whatever, but from personal experience, they only last for a couple of months before dying.

Yup! and if they don't listen.....let them learn the hard way.

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

All those knockoff batteries on Ebay with higher mah etc, are bunk. I tried on my S2 and it was no different then the stock battery even though rated higher, same for others on other phones. Someone on XDA even used a knockof 4k+ mah batter in the S5 and said there was little difference. Only thing that will work will be direct from Samsung replacement that's higher, like in the American S2 people were swapping in the high capacity battery for the Korean model available from Samsung but modifying the back case to fit it. Even the brand name aftermarket ones aren't any better for life then the direct Sammy ones, good as a replacement or backup but not for longer battery life.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I only get 3rd party batteries I trust... Like Anker batteries.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.