12-28-2016 05:11 AM
65 123
    I just got mine and it has been plugged in for 3.5 hours; only at 37%
    09-25-2014 08:45 PM
    Try a different usb cable.I had the same issue when i used a generic micro usb cable.took ages to charge.I changed the cable to the official one and it worked fine.
    10-02-2014 09:06 AM
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but there's still a lot of misinformation on this topic.

Charging speed is controlled by:
    Internal resistance of battery. Replace battery as last resort, with only quality battery.
    Power capability of charger. Use charger rated for at least 1.2 ampers.
    Power capability of cable. Use USB 3 cable, short data pins if necessary.
    Charge controller on phone. Note below:

The charge controller on the phone looks to see if the data pins on the usb are shorted. If they are, it uses fast charging mode.

I bought a 12v to 5v buck converter for my truck and soldered the data pins and it went from 300ma to 1200ma...

This is the one piece of infoRmation you're missing.
    04-19-2015 05:07 PM
    I just got my S5 a few days ago and it was charging SUPER slow with the charger that came with it - like 5% in 40 minutes. I came here looking for answers and thought "well, my battery might be defective, I better take it back" Then, I took the charger out from the wall and EUREKA... the cable was not plugged into the wall adaptor snugly. It was sort of halfway in, but was snug enough to not fall out.. so it was still charging a tiny bit. I'm pretty sure it has been like that since I brought the phone home. Once I stuck it all the way in, it charged quickly - like 1-2% per minute. So, I guess I'm posting this in case anyone else has a duh moment like me!
    05-19-2015 06:17 PM
    well if you want to charge fast charge it in multicharge socket (if i'm not mistaken)
    2 mins ago charge from 0% and back its 14%
    06-13-2015 10:19 AM
    The use of a quality charger and a quality cable cannot be stressed enough.
    Also, the newer Samsung phone batteries are 3.8V, not the usual 3.7 volts, so your choice of an external charger should be rated at 4.35V to fully charge the battery, or you will only see about 94% when going from charger to phone. The Samsung clamshell external chargers are excellent.
    06-24-2015 04:32 PM
    The use of a quality charger and a quality cable cannot be stressed enough.
    Not only quality. Non-Samsung chargers aren't wired to tell the phone it's charging from the wall, so it uses the slower USB charging current.

Also, the newer Samsung phone batteries are 3.8V, not the usual 3.7 volts
    Not unless chemistry has changed after 300 years. Samsung RATES their batteries at 3.8 volts. They actually go up to about 4.2 volts during charge. But the nominal voltage of a lithium is, always has been, and probably always will be, 3.7 Volts.

so your choice of an external charger should be rated at 4.35V to fully charge the battery
    The phone's charging circuitry is designed to accept from 5.0 to 5.2 Volts. A charger putting out 4.35 Volts will take forever to charge the phone. (The voltage AT THE BATTERY should be about 4.35 Volts, but the voltage coming from the charger should be at least 5 Volts under load.)

Also see The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries to keep from having to replace your battery sooner than it should be.
    06-24-2015 05:07 PM
    May be something wrong with charger.
    06-24-2015 09:13 PM
    I just joined because I wanted to add something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere at all online before:

The US spec S5 (or at least my CDMA/LTE model) reduces its USB current when the screen is on. Using the OE 5.3 volt 2 amp adapter and OE USB 3 cable at <~80% charge (so you are still in Li-Ion constant current mode and not constant voltage) plugged in to a Kill-A-Watt meter you get 11-12 watts screen off, but only 8 watts screen on.

For 1.8 amps at 5.3 volts you get 9.54 watts. Divide by .8 to account for the ~80% efficiency of your average SMPS wall adapter and you get, Voila, 11.925 watts.

8 multiplied by .8 is 6.4 watts out in screen on mode. 6.4 divided by 5.3 is, again Voila, 1.2 amps.

So there you go, the S5 draws about 1.8 amps screen off and only about 1.2 screen on, 2 figures quoted from this thread.

Why they would do this is beyond me, you need more power when the screen is on, not less.
    08-13-2015 03:17 AM
    08-13-2015 03:17 AM
    Hey buddy ..my phone is not charging well last night I plugged it into the socket and at that time the battery was 44% and after 3 hours it is 88% and also the battery is draining too fast and I am using this phone for more than two months and now I am facing this problems from two days ... please help me .. :/
    08-18-2015 04:58 AM
    My Galaxy S5 has been charging quite reasonably well for the past year or so, and it's only last week that I noticed the charging is taking longer than usual.
    I downloaded the Galaxy Charging Current app, and noticed that my charging is only 600 amperes (down from supposedly 2,000 A as it says in the charger).

I'm looking forward as well to any help that will be posted for this.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    12-06-2015 07:47 PM
    There is actually a bug in the charging electronics that remembers when you used a PC or car USB connector to charge the phone. After I put it back on the wall charger, it stops charging at full speed. It's like there is a flag set inside the charging circuit thinking it's still connected to USB2 or USB3, and it just won't charge how it is supposed to. The only workaround I found is to turn off phone, take out battery for a few seconds, put it back, and plug it back in.
    10-14-2016 05:17 AM
    This is a really old thread...
    10-14-2016 03:00 PM
    This is a more general question, just I do not know where to post it. I am sure it has been discussed too many times, so pointers to sources would be as welcomed as answers here.
    I noticed that there is a veryu large variability in the charging performance of different brand chargers that are identically rated on their labels. Two extreme examples are a charger than can charge my LG G2 in 2 hours,, and identically labeled as far a power is concerned charger that might take as long as a couple days to do the same job. Usually I find that apps report either 40 mAs, ~330 mAs, or in one unusual case ~950 mAs (a power bank that can charge my phone in 30 minutes or less). The firstr two examples are extremes, but the range of performances is commonly between these two. Assuming that the charges are correctly labeled and not damaged nor defective, and assuming the same cable used with all the chargers, why is there sucha HUGE difference -- and more importantly, how to find a really fastest chargers to buy?
    12-28-2016 05:11 AM
65 123