Very slow charging

itsadogslife

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The gfs s5 is so slow at charging. After 2 hour charge it only goes up by 20/30%, I'm guessing this isn't normal? It is being charge by wall socket and not pc/laptop.

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The gfs s5 is so slow at charging. After 2 hour charge it only goes up by 20/30%, I'm guessing this isn't normal? It is being charge by wall socket and not pc/laptop.

Im fairly sure mine charges far faster than that. Are you using the original Samsung 2amp charger and original Samsung charging cable? I know some cheap cables can only manage a lower current than what the charger is supplying.

Also have you tried charging it with the phone turned off to see how fast it charges, in case something is running the battery down a lot as it charges.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Try restarting it.

EDIT: It was okay for a few days but after a week it gave me trouble and even started getting hot. I exchanged it.

Last edited:

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine charges painfully slow on anything except for the charger that came with it. Last night I plugged it into that stock charger at 15%, cooked my kids mac and cheese, emptied the dishwasher and I was at 86% when I unplugged it maybe 30-45 minutes later. Was very impressed. However when using a car charger it absolutely sucks. Sometimes I will actually lose percentages if I am on it while charging lol.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine charges painfully slow on anything except for the charger that came with it. Last night I plugged it into that stock charger at 15%, cooked my kids mac and cheese, emptied the dishwasher and I was at 86% when I unplugged it maybe 30-45 minutes later. Was very impressed. However when using a car charger it absolutely sucks. Sometimes I will actually lose percentages if I am on it while charging lol.

The S5 has an intelligent charging circuit that adjusts current flow to one of a very few acceptable levels (I actually think it's just TWO), no matter the rated amperage of your charger. I have charged with basically every USB charger I have (and I DO have a bunch), and the breakpoint on charging quickly seems to be at about the 1.2 amp point. When I am charging with the original charger or any 2.1 amp charger, the input current (as reported by the Galaxy Charging Current app) will start at 1800ma, then settle down at 1200ma. Anything less than 1200ma chargers (many are 1000 or 800, or even 650), and the charging current stays rock-steady at 500ma, which will almost triple the time it takes to charge your phone.

For reference, on a 2.1amp charger, I charge at roughly 1% per minute, which jibes with the previous poster's observation of about two hours to fully charge. And, if your charger isn't the 2.1 amp sort, then it's probably settling at 500ma current and it will take approximately six hours to charge.

Short story: Get a charger with more muscle.

Mark

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Amazon.com: Anker? 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air, mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8) and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
these showed up at my house yesterday, have not had a chance to play with them. knew i needed something because my old car charger kept up at best. they also have a corded version, but couldn't get a straight answer about cord length.
just tested for 10 minutes, old usb2 cable, charging rate a tic over 1% per minute, twice what my old one did. cant speak on reliability or anything.

i average a tic under 1% per minute. this adapter rocks too!!! (same speed as the oe adapter with usb 2 or 3 cables)
Amazon.com: Anker? 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Nexus and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

hope this helps

Last edited:

JennieBee19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Quite the opposite experience for me, fastest charge I've seen yet. My average full charge from 0 is about 80 mins.

Posted via Android Central App

phish73

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
are you using the orignal cable that came with the phone? mine was charging very slow too, but when i used the original cable, it got a LOT faster.
or maybe the first 2 - 3 charges will be slow then it speeds up?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Check the amps on your car charger. Some of them are very low and won't keep up while using GPS or Music apps. The bigger amp chargers are a little more money sometimes but well worth it.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Amazon.com: Anker? 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air, mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8) and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
these showed up at my house yesterday, have not had a chance to play with them. knew i needed something because my old car charger kept up at best. they also have a corded version, but couldn't get a straight answer about cord length.
just tested for 10 minutes, old usb2 cable, charging rate a tic over 1% per minute, twice what my old one did. cant speak on reliability or anything.

i average a tic under 1% per minute. this adapter rocks too!!! (same speed as the oe adapter with usb 2 or 3 cables)
Amazon.com: Anker? 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Nexus and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

hope this helps

Just ordered both of these. Much appreciated. I actually had yet desktop charger in my cart for a while but just pulled the trigger!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bandon1

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've just finished testing my battery for usage and charging time, the usage for depleting the battery was playing with the different camera and video modes, browsing the internet, watching live streaming tv, listenting to the radio, watching YouTube videos and general messing around with the phone and settings etc, it went from 100% to 1% after 22 hours, 44 minutes and 36 seconds of use.

I then plugged it in to charge with 1% left on it, I'm using the charger that came with the phone, it took 1 hour, 45 minutes to get back up to 100%

These were the charging times if of any interest:

37% after 30 minutes of charging
71% after 60 minutes of charging
95% after 90 minutes of charging
97% after 95 minutes of charging
98% after 100 minutes of charging
100% after 105 minutes of charging

finndo77

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've just finished testing my battery for usage and charging time, the usage for depleting the battery was playing with the different camera and video modes, browsing the internet, watching live streaming tv, listenting to the radio, watching YouTube videos and general messing around with the phone and settings etc, it went from 100% to 1% after 22 hours, 44 minutes and 36 seconds of use.

I then plugged it in to charge with 1% left on it, I'm using the charger that came with the phone, it took 1 hour, 45 minutes to get back up to 100%

These were the charging times if of any interest:

37% after 30 minutes of charging
71% after 60 minutes of charging
95% after 90 minutes of charging
97% after 95 minutes of charging
98% after 100 minutes of charging
100% after 105 minutes of charging

this is on par if not identical to what I have seen with mine. I also charge through a USB 3 port on my PC that I added with a 18 in 1 card reader, which thankfully has a separate USB 3 connection for the Motherboard so teh USB 3 port has a dedicated direct connection to my MB. it runs maybe 20 mins slower to fully charge and is probably caused by the connection path being broken in to 5 steps (extra 1 due to a USB 3 extension cable I have to use to be able to reach the connection to take the cable with me), vs. the 2 point connection from the wall adapter (phone =1 adapter =2). strange part is that my MB USB 2.0 ports are 1500mAh ports, I paid extra for this board over one I liked better, because of this feature, but the USB 2.0 ports do not charge as fast, even on my older USB2 phones. What I learned from having an LG spectrum is taht the chip in the phone actually downgrades to the slower charge speed if it does not detect the OEM connection (cable and charger), although some other charges must have the correct chips as they would charge at full power, but that was only 1 in 7 chargers that I had at home besides the OEM one.

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Definitley the fastest charging phone I've ever used, full charge from 0 to 100% in somewhere around 70-80 minutes, my S2 used to take like 3+ hours with half the battery size, my iPhone 5S and 5 are way slower as well.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing the SLOW charge too.

Put it on charge before going to bed at around 10pm. It was at 20%. Now, at 3:30am, it's only at 45%.

I'm using the charge cord that came with the phone, plugged into the USB port on the laptop. I'll try using the wall charger to see if that helps, but that would be a real PITA to have to do all the time.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Put it on charge before going to bed at around 10pm. It was at 20%. Now, at 3:30am, it's only at 45%.

I'm using the charge cord that came with the phone, plugged into the USB port on the laptop. I'll try using the wall charger to see if that helps, but that would be a real PITA to have to do all the time.

usb is the slowest possible way to charge your phone, next to maybe a hand crank charger, lol. use the one that came with the phone for a comparison of charging speeds.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

That's the normal time to charge using a regular USB port on a Computer or a Laptop, if you were to use the wall charger that is a 2.0 amp charger using the 3.0 USB cable you will see that it charges your device a lot faster, I've charged my from 1% to 100% in about 1.5 hours.

If you are forced to use the Laptop, then at least find if your laptop has a 3.0 USB port and together with your OEM Cable you will see that it charges a lot faster than with a regular USB port.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the normal time to charge using a regular USB port on a Computer or a Laptop, if you were to use the wall charger that is a 2.0 amp charger using the 3.0 USB cable you will see that it charges your device a lot faster, I've charged my from 1% to 100% in about 1.5 hours.

If you are forced to use the Laptop, then at least find if your laptop has a 3.0 USB port and together with your OEM Cable you will see that it charges a lot faster than with a regular USB port.

What this dude said. 90 minutes for a full charge from 0% to 100%. I've noticed it's around or slightly a bit more than 1% for every minute on a wall charger.