Very slow charging

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing the SLOW charge too.

Put it on charge before going to bed at around 10pm. It was at 20%. Now, at 3:30am, it's only at 45%.

I'm using the charge cord that came with the phone, plugged into the USB port on the laptop. I'll try using the wall charger to see if that helps, but that would be a real PITA to have to do all the time.
Uhhh all phones charge slow on USB with a laptop/computer. It'll be faster if you have a usb 3.0 port. Wall charger is going to be a lot faster, for obvious reason, mines about 80-90 minutes from dead to 100% which is ridiculously fast charging for a battery this size.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Actually, if this phone takes as long as it took to go from 20% to 45% using the USB 3 port last night, it'll be the FIRST phone I've owned that charged so slowly. All phones will charge quicker with the wall charger, but this was crazy slow. Since I had completely powered the phone down and re-started before throwing it on the wall charger, I'll try the USB next time it needs charging to see if the shut-down/re-start might have had some effect on the faster charge time.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Using a regular Micro USB cable it will charge slowly.

Using the Samsung Wall-charging cable it'll charge from 10% to 100% in about 1.5 hours.

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Mine charges really quickly.

Does about 80% in an hour.

I use the wall plug that came with it, a 1.5m Belkin USB extension cable and then then micro usb that came in the box.

Posted via Android Central App

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Using a regular Micro USB cable it will charge slowly.

Using the Samsung Wall-charging cable it'll charge from 10% to 100% in about 1.5 hours.

Unless your cable is VERY poor (or damaged, which is common) , it won't matter whether you're using the shipped cable or an aftermarket usb3 or usb2 cable. The defining factor is nearly always the power source. I've used bricks that supply .6A up to 2.1A. The phone will never absorb 2100mA at charge time (according to Galaxy Charge Current), but it will well exceed 1000, and sometimes go up to 1800.

As I said before, make sure your charger has more muscle.

Think of it another way: It doesn't matter how big your pipe is if you're not putting any water in it.

Battery is 2800mAh. In the best case, a <1000mA charger will cause the phone to take a 500mA charge current, which means that (2800mAh/500mA)=5.6hours. This would be with the phone off, and the charging producing zero loss (which is not possible). let's assume 80% charging efficiency and go with the burn rate for ULP mode, which is about 39mA/h. Start charging at 20%, which is when you get your first nag. Charge time would be (2800 mAh * 0.8) / (((500 mA) - (39 mA)) * 0.8) =6.1 hours. Now, contrast that with your 2.1A charger, which will get the job done, assuming a current limit at 1800mA, as I have observed, in (2800 mAh * 0.8) / (((1800 mA) - (39 mA)) * 0.8) =1.6 hours

Mark

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: Since I completely shut the phone down and re-started, the charge time has gotten much better. When using the laptop's USB it's charged as fast as the S3 would have been. Even using the Motorola car charger works great. And when I need it charged asap, the wall mount is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
For some reason the moderator likes taking down some of my comments. It may have sounded rude earlier when I said there's something wrong with your phone, but I think you may need to exchange it if it really is displaying the charging characteristics you are describing. Don't feel bad, I am on my second and I was reading a post earlier that someone is on their 6th phone and that one has a problem as well. I tell you this as there could be a window closing time wise in which you can simply exchange your phone.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Unless your cable is VERY poor (or damaged, which is common) , it won't matter whether you're using the shipped cable or an aftermarket usb3 or usb2 cable. The defining factor is nearly always the power source. I've used bricks that supply .6A up to 2.1A. The phone will never absorb 2100mA at charge time (according to Galaxy Charge Current), but it will well exceed 1000, and sometimes go up to 1800.

As I said before, make sure your charger has more muscle.

Think of it another way: It doesn't matter how big your pipe is if you're not putting any water in it.

Battery is 2800mAh. In the best case, a <1000mA charger will cause the phone to take a 500mA charge current, which means that (2800mAh/500mA)=5.6hours. This would be with the phone off, and the charging producing zero loss (which is not possible). let's assume 80% charging efficiency and go with the burn rate for ULP mode, which is about 39mA/h. Start charging at 20%, which is when you get your first nag. Charge time would be (2800 mAh * 0.8) / (((500 mA) - (39 mA)) * 0.8) =6.1 hours. Now, contrast that with your 2.1A charger, which will get the job done, assuming a current limit at 1800mA, as I have observed, in (2800 mAh * 0.8) / (((1800 mA) - (39 mA)) * 0.8) =1.6 hours

Mark

Cables do matter. Different ones can only handle different currents.

The thicker ones can handle more.

Just give it a try yourself. Use some old thin cable and use the 2a transformer and the charging speed is limited

-Sent from Tapatalk

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Cables do matter. Different ones can only handle different currents.

The thicker ones can handle more.

Just give it a try yourself. Use some old thin cable and use the 2a transformer and the charging speed is limited

-Sent from Tapatalk

I agree that SOME cables cannot handle 2.1A charging current, but I submit that virtually every one *I* own can, and I'm, frankly, pretty fast and loose when it comes to choosing a cable when I need one for charging.

BUT, just to be sure, I broke out my three-year-old Re-TraK self-retracting cable which uses extra thin (and I mean THIN, like 24 gauge or higher) wire. This particular unit has been abused, and has several knots in the cable, and won't retract any more. Plugged it into the Samsung charger, and right away I read 1800mA charge current, which is as high as I've ever seen, even with the Sammy charger and the shipped USB3 cable.

Point is, I think it's WAY more likely that the charger block/car-plug is not powerful enough OR is not outputting its advertised current. (The other option is, of course, that the charging control in his phone is defective, which should be rectified). There was an article about a year ago, and if I can find it I'll repost, but the conclusion was basically that, after being bench-tested, none of the 3rd party chargers on the market can meet their rated output, and some fell FAR short, in the neighborhood of 50%.

Use the factory charger and cable, and if your charge is slow, go get the phone swapped. If it's normal rate (~1% up per minute), and your other charger/cable is not doing the same, then kick your other charger to the curb.

Mark

badwolf_12

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Definitely take the popular advice of using the original 2.0A charger. I also find the USB 3.0 charges faster than even the original samsung Micro I had with my S3 (on the S5). My S5 charges faster and hold charge MUCH longer than any phone I've ever had. Hope you find a solution!

Posted via Android Central App

Mike Evans6

May 7, 2014
Visit site
my new s5 i have mixed problems from new, coming from iphone 4s i was very disappointed when i got home from the shop and put it on charge as it was only 50% charged , 10% took a few hours to charge and all weekend it carried on i mean it was awful, using a Samsung camera lead with a slower charge rate charged faster but after a while the original lead started to work a bit better, but back to square one again now it seems to work when i use a different wall outlet and boom it charges its really annoying because last night on 40% - went to bed with it on at 1am woke up at 8am and it was only on 93%, im guessing the lead rubbish its either here or there , don't really want to buy another samsung lead as its being a fail.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
my new s5 i have mixed problems from new, coming from iphone 4s i was very disappointed when i got home from the shop and put it on charge as it was only 50% charged , 10% took a few hours to charge and all weekend it carried on i mean it was awful, using a Samsung camera lead with a slower charge rate charged faster but after a while the original lead started to work a bit better, but back to square one again now it seems to work when i use a different wall outlet and boom it charges its really annoying because last night on 40% - went to bed with it on at 1am woke up at 8am and it was only on 93%, im guessing the lead rubbish its either here or there , don't really want to buy another samsung lead as its being a fail.

This is highly unusual. Since the s4, my phone charger from 2% to full in under 2 hours.

-Sent from Tapatalk

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Some phones will do a jumper test to check if they are plugged into a branded charger. If the test returns an unexpected result the phone will limit its charging to prevent damage. I don't know if the S5 has this 'feature' but it would mean that even a PC with 1.5 amp rapid charge port will still be dog slow.

Mike Evans6

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I am getting fedup im at work now and my phones on 5% so i plug it in to the wall with original charger and guess what its charged 4% in 28 mins. my girl friend has an s3 and its doing the same, is it something to do with Samsung operating system

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I am getting fedup im at work now and my phones on 5% so i plug it in to the wall with original charger and guess what its charged 4% in 28 mins. my girl friend has an s3 and its doing the same, is it something to do with Samsung operating system

Sorry, something on your end. Everyone else's charging flies with good stuff. About 1% per minute.
Charger, cable, phone hardware, or something smoking your battery.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Some phones will do a jumper test to check if they are plugged into a branded charger. If the test returns an unexpected result the phone will limit its charging to prevent damage. I don't know if the S5 has this 'feature' but it would mean that even a PC with 1.5 amp rapid charge port will still be dog slow.

I use a few aftermarket chargers and cables, they are capable of charging just as fast as the oe setup. 1% or so per minute. Not sure about any checks it does.

itsadogslife

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to post an update. After a few more charges it seams to be fully charging in about 2hrs. No idea to why it was taking so long the 1st few charges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca