Is the S5 a cheaper made phone then the S4 ?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Got the 16GB S5 in today and a few things that look cheaper made are the sim/sd card slots (not spring loaded and now stacked), ear piece speaker part (longer chrome on the S4) and the rear speaker (smaller & cheaper looking). I only played with the phone for 10 minutes and these are a few differences I noticed right off the bat that seem of cheaper quality then the S4.

What you think?

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Speaker grills look the same to me in pictures but the S5 might be smaller and more enclosed because of the water resistance which would also mean they need to be higher quality.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the S5 is a lot cheaper or not cheaper looking than the S4. While neither are bad looking phones, have had each of them, I'm not buying all the propaganda Samsung puts about the inspired design and detail that has gone into them. Its like listening to art snobs be about a priceless work of art- Dude, its just a painting of a naked chick.

Posted via Android Central App

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I do love how we get wrapped up in the perceived lack of quality in a phone.

This is a device which costs, even without subsidy, around six hundred dollars. But, it has more computing power than virtually anything else you own, including your car (which is itself a rolling computer), and if your PC is more than a year or two old, that, too. You can suck down web pages from the world over, at will, at speeds which are better than any wired home internet connection from just a couple of years back, and you can do it while hurtling down the road at virtually any speed you like (as a passenger, of course). The device has enough instrumentation to allow you to point it at the sky, and it will label the stars, planets and deep space objects for you...in real time. This device has the exact same display resolution as 98% of the big screen TV's being sold today, and it can essentially show you exactly the same content! The camera unit in the device is the exact same resolution as the Nikon DSLR I bought just a few years ago for serious photography.

That device, which you complain about being low quality, packs an unbelievable amount of technology, and is, frankly, capable of doing more things than most people you know, and doing it reliably, essentially without regard as to how poorly you take care of it, twenty-four-hours a day. And, oh yeah... did I mention it makes phone calls, too? All for Six. Hundred. Dollars.

anon(4054009)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I do love how we get wrapped up in the perceived lack of quality in a phone.

This is a device which costs, even without subsidy, around six hundred dollars. But, it has more computing power than virtually anything else you own, including your car (which is itself a rolling computer), and if your PC is more than a year or two old, that, too. You can suck down web pages from the world over, at will, at speeds which are better than any wired home internet connection from just a couple of years back, and you can do it while hurtling down the road at virtually any speed you like (as a passenger, of course). The device has enough instrumentation to allow you to point it at the sky, and it will label the stars, planets and deep space objects for you...in real time. This device has the exact same display resolution as 98% of the big screen TV's being sold today, and it can essentially show you exactly the same content! The camera unit in the device is the exact same resolution as the Nikon DSLR I bought just a few years ago for serious photography.

That device, which you complain about being low quality, packs an unbelievable amount of technology, and is, frankly, capable of doing more things than most people you know, and doing it reliably, essentially without regard as to how poorly you take care of it, twenty-four-hours a day. And, oh yeah... did I mention it makes phone calls, too? All for Six. Hundred. Dollars.
Oh please, comparing a phone to a new car with 15 or more computers on a can network running 500mb per second and faster is silly. Resolution is only one parameter, and not very important, sensor size is the real deal. New model smartphones are nice for the designed purpose but about equal to low end Intel I5 laptop chip in performance.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I much prefer the look and feel of the S5 over the S4. The new texture of the back feels so much better.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh please, comparing a phone to a new car with 15 or more computers on a can network running 500mb per second and faster is silly. Resolution is only one parameter, and not very important, sensor size is the real deal. New model smartphones are nice for the designed purpose but about equal to low end Intel I5 laptop chip in performance.

Oh I totally agree. It's inaccurate and silly, but is intentionally hyperbolic to underscore my only point, which is that the phone you're holding in your hand not too many years ago was simply not doable, and represents recent significant leaps forward in the various technologies that make up the device, including radio, processor, display tech, and general materials science.

And, frankly, somebody whose sensibilities get out of whack because a device of this complexity and capability "feels plasticky," or "kind of cheap," has missed the damn boat.

But then again, we do live in a culture where iPhones are purchased for their fashion value. (And if you don't believe it, ask yourself why the majority of iPhone cases have a nifty cutout to reveal the Apple logo on the back.)

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Speed of a low end i5 but also a higher resolution than all low end, double the battery life, 4g connection near anywhere and can fit in a pocket so its got plenty going for it