View Poll Results: Does your device have this issue when your face is at the edge of the screen?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 77.78%
  • No

2 22.22%
07-08-2016 10:09 PM
57 123
tools
    Christopher David, there is another thread on this forum where someone says a "ring" around the front facing camera has slipped and is partially covering the lens. I can't detect a "ring" around my front camera. He posted a picture and it seems this object is inside (under the screen) but it has slipped and is creating a partially blacked out image.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...defective.html
    06-08-2014 11:42 PM
    Got my S5 today in discovered this, its extremely annoying and will return the phone if i there is more people that have normal cameras, otherwise perhaps change to a Sony Z2

06-09-2014 12:28 PM
    So I have examined several phones at multiple carrier stores now. Compared to previous models the S5 has a very large capture area similar to a security peephole. Because all of the parts are so tiny, they used a primitive micro wide angle lens to increase the viewport. There is nothing that can be done other than to use a lower quality and lower rez picture.

I am very grateful for my Flex's feature of using the rear camera to take a selfie or a couples' photo. Much higher quality than a front camera. The front camera on the Flex is more normal and covers a smaller area but without the edge distortion.

On the other hand I have no idea what HTC was thinking when they paired a 4mpix easily overexposed rear camera with a 5mpix grainy front camera....one has no margin left for zoom or edit and the other has compromised light sensitivity. I mean it plainly makes sense to use a fine sensor on the side with a lamp, and a more receptive low rez sensor on the side without a lamp.

I appreciate Sammy trying something new with the camera but I feel the next Galaxy S will have a narrower field on the front camera again....
    06-09-2014 09:20 PM
    I believe this may be an issue on all devices. It seems like the issue is prominent when taking close up photos. The issue affects the top ~15% of the screen and the bottom ~15%. The only purpose of having a front facing camera is for the ease of selfie shots.

If you can provide photos of this NOT occurring, please let me know. If I can resolve this by replacing my unit, I will. Attachment 114831Attachment 114832
    Put your front camera on, select settings on top left, scroll down to crop setting and select "regular"... Problem solved!
    06-27-2014 07:00 PM
    I can't seem to find crop setting...

I know that if you put the picture size to 1:1, it's mostly normal, but I don't really want to take square pics every time.
    08-25-2014 10:47 AM
    I can't seem to find crop setting...

I know that if you put the picture size to 1:1, it's mostly normal, but I don't really want to take square pics every time.
    Whaaaaat you use front facing camera for other things than instagram selfies???

On topic:
    I have this extremely annoying issue on my HTC One M8 GPE as well. It is not nearly as bad as some of your hilarious results but overall my front facing pictures have this terrible fish-eye look to them.
    Here are my results, I hope you don't mind the bad settings:
    Front Facing Camera Distortion-img_20140918_042729.jpgFront Facing Camera Distortion-img_20140918_042734.jpg
    09-17-2014 09:56 PM
    Normal

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    09-21-2014 03:12 AM
    Oh dear .
    Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-0a40935c-e1df-4743-bcf4-ef4116ea7def_resized.jpg  
    09-21-2014 03:04 PM
    did it work? or does it still distort? because i have the same problem and its my 2nd s5 also a friend of mine has it too
    09-21-2014 07:45 PM
    Please help!!! My front camera is seriousky distorted on my sony xperia z2... Its been like it since the day i got.it and i only got it about a month ago. If anyone can help me to fix this it would be great
    10-16-2014 01:50 PM
    i am dying of laughter I thought I was the only one. made my forehead HUGE LOL
    11-12-2014 02:10 AM
    i had the same problem, but was able to fix it (sort of).

originally, the photo size in the settings was at the biggest option, making the pictures distorted.

Front Facing Camera Distortion-weird1.jpg Front Facing Camera Distortion-weird2.jpg

when you click on the settings thing in the top left while your camera is open, picture size should be on the left. if you make it smaller, there's still a little bit of distortion but it's less obnoxious.

Front Facing Camera Distortion-normal1.jpg Front Facing Camera Distortion-normal2.jpg
    12-27-2014 11:19 AM
    I just created an account to reply to your statement. This is the same exact thing I have. I am looking at the front facing camera and it looks great. I snap the photo and all of a sudden, the photo is distorted. It is completely frustrating.
    01-04-2015 04:01 PM
    I have the same problem!!!
    01-05-2015 02:10 AM
    Seriously. I should have returned the phone. Cant figure out how to fix this

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-20150105_001506.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20150105_001514.jpg  
    01-05-2015 02:15 AM
    Same thing on my S5.
    I hope they make an update with an option of having it wide or normal.
    It really bothers me.
    01-11-2015 02:54 PM
    Yes. Front picture very annoying. Went through all the galaxys. Sadly this one has been crap. Especially cause its over priced and over hyped.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-12-2015 11:50 PM
    All camea lens has fish eye effect when shot too close, except that this unit its still too close even at arms lenght, it can be used as a tool though, if you have a small jaw, you can make it look bigger, its fake but yeah
    02-17-2015 04:00 AM
    I literally made an account because I saw this thread... I have a galaxy note 4 and I am having an exact same problem! Huge forehead or giant chin... you pick. So frustrating!! I literally made my front facing camera into a square to remove the distortion, but this is definitely not a good enough solution
    02-26-2015 08:28 AM
    I have noticed this effect for the longest time, and I've done everything I can to try to fix it, it still sucks.

What I want to know is what is the exact specification that causes this distortion? I noticed the camera is farther away than the S3 I had, and I imagine they did this so its easier to take "selfies" with friends...but I do not think its worth it. Almost every picture I take my head looks like some sort of elongated egg or something and well, its really annoying. I know it cant be fixed.

So, what other phones DONT have this effect that are new or coming out, because I want to sell my S5, I'm done with it.
    03-20-2015 11:31 PM
    I have the same distortion issue and it's prevented me from taking selfies..that's probably a good thing lol. The only way I was able to fix it was by reducing the picture size in the camera settings.
    05-20-2015 11:57 AM
    From the samsung website:

Please also note that the front camera of Galaxy S5 uses a 90 degree
    wide-angle lens.

This is very useful and convenient because it’s suitable for taking wide-angle
    photos when using the Camera close to the Subject (e.g. when taking a picture
    of yourself.)

But, when compared to a camera with a normal lens, the distance between
    lens and sensor is shorter.

As a result, the absorption of light is subsequently lower for the Front Camera
    module using a Wide angle lens than a normal lens, and photos taken in low-light
    conditions may be lower in quality than normal-light conditions.

Also minor image distortion may occur in wide-angle photos especially at the
    periphery of the image due to the properties of the lens used to take a wider screen
    image. It does not affect device performance problems.

For better quality of photos in low-light conditions please use the main camera
    located on the back or rear of the handset.

Please also make sure the lens area is clean (use a soft dry cloth to wipe clean if the
    lens area is dirty, otherwise, the device may not work properly in some modes that
    require high resolutions.
    Tritonemusic and Brian_Blaire like this.
    05-30-2015 12:10 PM
    this youtube video seem to be relevant to this distortion discussion
    watch?v=Y2gTSjoEExc
    06-15-2015 10:04 AM
    Did anyone get a solution to it yet ?

I guess we can contact app devs to make a Non Wide angle lense mode. for their 3rd party apps

Im hating this distortion ... and even Galaxy S6 has the same issue. TOTALLY hate samsung for this.

Just like some apps have a option that creates an illusion of a wide angle lense shot ... we can geometrically correct the distortion to make the wide angle lense take normal photos.
    07-17-2015 01:23 AM
    Ok i have Emailed some App Devs regarding this issue

----
    To:
    jessdevelopment@gmail.com
    wuxm2014@gmail.com
    mark.harman@ntlworld.com
    support@appiclabs.com
    help@cymera.com
    rcplatform.help@gmail.com
    YouCamPerfect_AppSupport@perfectcorp.com

Sub: Very Important Suggestion/ Feature for Camera

Text:
    Hey Ok ill be honest here im sending a multiple email to many Devs.

But take it as a Free Suggestion to a USP feature that is Demanded by many Smartphone users.

Companies are going Wide-Angle Lense ... that eliminates the need for the Fish Eye Filter that most of you provide.

But there is a huge audience that hate the new Wide Angle lenses that Samsung phones have.

It makes the image look distorted and totally wrong.

Im sure theres a way of Geometrically correcting this Distortion as a filter feature in your app.

There is a thread discussion about it here ...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...istortion.html

Please add a filter to like Anti-Wide Angle so that we can have normal looking SELFIES.

Do revert back if any details required.

Im using a Galaxy s5 with lollipop

-----

I urge you guys to mail the devs ive mentioned above too .. so that they take this matter seriously ... and give us the feature.
    07-17-2015 02:09 AM
57 123