09-12-2016 03:05 AM
266 ... 91011
tools
    Thanks for any info you can give me.
    11-09-2015 12:24 AM
    Hello All,
    Just wanna know if any of you found a solution.
    Some explanation for my case:
    SM-G900H Android 5.0
    I studied all 10 pages and seems I had tried most of the resolving tips with no positive response.
    I also tried reset factory; didn't work too.

Moreover, I have sent my device 3 times to Samsung Service Center (IRAN region); they told me they replaced the LCD but the problem was started after couple of weeks; bad news is that my warranty period has finished now.

Just wanna know is there any International source to sue the case? this is absolutely a big problem from Samsung Corp. as you can find this problem in almost a wide range of Samsung models from Note to Galaxy S and J series.
    04-24-2016 03:08 AM
    I'm pretty sure this is tied to the phone memory. Mine only does it when the storage space is almost full.

I struggled with it for months and NONE of the advice on this forum worked. The only thing that works is to keep the RAM cleared out as much as possible and keep the storage from getting too full.

Good luck. This is a major pain when you can't fix it.
    04-24-2016 10:12 PM
    Solution: If I understand the problem correctly your phone displays the black screen with the Samsung logo unless it is plugged in the charger, in which case it boots up normally. There is a big possibility that this may be a power related problem. The battery of your phone may not be providing the necessary voltage to your phone in which case a circuit inside your phone detects this and prevents your phone from booting up properly. It is a different case when the charger is plugged in since this helps provide a stable power to your phone and once your phone detects it has the right amount of power it boots up normally. To avoid unnecessary voltage on the lock screen you have to disable remote tv, auto brightness, nfc, and proximity wake up gesture on the settings first.

To resolve this issue the best thing that you can do is to replace your battery with a new one. However, before doing this I highly recommend that you back up your phone data and do a factory reset first. This eliminates the possibility that the problem may be caused by a software issue. Then there’s also the other reason that the factor reset does not cost you a thing while a new battery will cost you money.

But, there's a solution if you don't want to replace the battery yet. You have to recalibrate the battery, here's what i did: drain your battery until 0% and turned off automatically. Then charge the phone for twice as much as you usually do, i charge mine for 5 hours. Then turn on your phone.

Before doing that i did everything including hard reset, underclock cpu, and even install cyanogenmod 13 ROM. But, the problem still exist. After get rid of the battery now everything works fine. No black screen upon wake up.

TL;DR. Just replace your battery.
    06-17-2016 09:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure this is tied to the phone memory. Mine only does it when the storage space is almost full.

I struggled with it for months and NONE of the advice on this forum worked. The only thing that works is to keep the RAM cleared out as much as possible and keep the storage from getting too full.

Good luck. This is a major pain when you can't fix it.
    Update: it started happening again, despite having lots of RAM available. I was missing calls because it would not wake up. I read on another forum that issues with pressing the home button can be fixed by uninstalling the updates for the Google app. That's what I did this morning. It's working so far, but I'm not holding my breath.
    06-23-2016 10:26 AM
    Hi all,

I think i solved this problem without replacement

Solution is:

Settings > Security > Trust agents > Smart Lock (Google)-Off (its on by default) and Pin Windows --off

I think this solves problem but additionally you sholud close Developer options too.

Thank you,
    Have a nice day.
    Thanks for your response...I'm going to try this.

I might also say...I think this thread is being polluted with a couple different scenarios...I wonder which one is the one that is occuring the most.

In my case...ever since the last security update for the GM900A, every 24-36 hours...I will try to wake my phone from a screen off and locked state, only to find that the screen is black...capacitive buttons will light up by pressing the home button or tapping the screen...AND...the only thing that will then display on the screen is the power off menu IF I press the power button. At that point...the only way to use the phone is to restart it.

Hoping to add some insight if turning SmartLock off is the culprit.
    07-09-2016 11:24 AM
    ARGH! So here I was thinking that after 4 days it NOT happening that turning smart lock off was the answer...BUT....its NOT. It happened again yesterday.

Maybe...just MAYBE...the Marshmallow build for my ATT device fixes this. Word on the street is that THAT will happen 7/18.
    07-15-2016 11:13 AM
    Ok...so I was actually able to flash the MM build G900AUCU4DPE3 thanks to xda. I'll be monitoring this going forward. 15 hours uptime with no issues so far.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-16-2016 08:47 AM
    I have had my S5 for almost two years now and just started getting this problem last week after AT&T pushed out an update. Same as described above, I press the power-on button to turn the screen on but instead just get the two corner buttons to light up with a black screen. My only option is to press-and-hold the power button and restart the phone. My phone is a G900A running Android v5.1.1 with updates dated 7/7 (AT&T must wait and test before pushing them out).
    08-09-2016 03:58 PM
    I have had my S5 for almost two years now and just started getting this problem last week after AT&T pushed out an update. Same as described above, I press the power-on button to turn the screen on but instead just get the two corner buttons to light up with a black screen. My only option is to press-and-hold the power button and restart the phone. My phone is a G900A running Android v5.1.1 with updates dated 7/7 (AT&T must wait and test before pushing them out).
    I know it doesn't necessarily help you...but...I can confirm based on 3 weeks of being on it, that Marshmallow fixes this issue.
    08-09-2016 04:59 PM
    So I have tried EVERYTHING and it gets worse and worse and worse. I've already decided to go back to the iPhone because of all the issues with this Samsung POS

I haven't been able to get Marshmallow and no combo of uninstalling / disabling / default settings / RAM management was working for more than a day or 2.

This morning I cleared the defaults for Touch Whiz home (it doesn't seem possible to disable this as its needed to get to the home screen) and the problem is gone.

Try it, but caveat: it's only worked for me for about 30 minutes thus far...
    08-10-2016 08:04 AM
    NOPE.

I got marshmallow (finally) tonight and the problem still persists.

Samsungs are total crap.
    08-30-2016 01:31 AM
    Screen Flicker Workaround

Hi everyone

I want to share a workaround to all of us who owns a defective S5

Symptom: You unlock your phone and it doesn't show anything. Actually, the phone is working. Capacitive buttons light up and you may heard some activity in the phone

Your phone has a defective screen. There are a lot S5 which have this problem, according to several forums. After several tries, unlock and lock over and over, the screen light up and you are able to use your phone. The problem is when you receive a call and you want to know who is calling you, the screen doesn't illuminate and you won’t be able to know who is.

Here's a workaround which makes your powerful S5 usable and take out from your drawer.

Solution:
    The more effective way to fix it is: change defective screen! But sometimes it could cost as much as a new phone, or simply you can't afford it, and it's better to change your phone instead, and you put your S5 in a drawer.

The technical explanation of this problem is: Screen doesn't receive enough electrical current at low brightness levels (maybe the flex is defective, get old, etc)

Most probably the wake up problem exist together with screen flicker at low brightness levels
    The wake up problem rises up more in dark environment, when light sensor make low bright screen

The lock screen light up screen, with a dim effect: when you lock the phone, it slowly turn screen off, and when you unlock, it make and effect of dim screen.

When you are is in dark environment, the effect is very slow, preventing the screen illuminate because the technical problem explained before.

When you are in very light environment, you lock screen and sensor light make the screen very brilliant and chances are you defective phone wakes up correctly.

We can use an app which give us complete control over brightness subsystem. I use an app called Velis AutoBrightness:

Once installed from Play Store, it shows a Setting Wizard. Follow the instructions. Below are some notes
    • 1/7: Welcome Screen
    • 2/7: How bright... Most probably is your phone always have flicker in low brightness. Choose "AMOLED" or "AMOLED bright". By the way choosing any one of those cure always minimum brightness failure!
    • 3/7: Choose High sensitivity
    • 4/7: On, if you want additional brightness when charging. Irrelevant for this thead. Choose your favorite setting
    • 5/7: Same of 4/7
    • 6/7: Choose enable: That enable the app
    • 7/7: Some additional notes: Press Done

Now important settings: go to Menu > Settings > General: Settings Mode > Advanced
    Service Activation settings:
    • Disable system handler > ON: When you use Power saving mode, you surely noted screen flicker, which is very annoying, and make unusable power saving mode. By set this ON: Android doesn't set screen too dim; instead Velis have a minimum of brightness set by Wizard 2/7. (Surely you find out that you avoid screen flicker, by setting autobrightness off and slider in 8-10%)
    Sensors settings:
    • Screen-on sensor value override: Set this value to 30000. Read below this post if you want technical explanation of this setting

After you establish these settings, you'll be able to unlock your phone all the time!

This is the trick: When you unlock your phone, you'll note that the screen is very bright (because Screen-on to 30000) and quickly adjust to the environment light. The failure is that electrical current to screen is defective, and when exterior light is dark, the screen make a dim effect and doesn't light up.

Note to Marshmallow users:
    • This app make use of Screen overlay permisions: And marshmallow is very restrict with this kind of app. This is specially true when you are installing an app. All you have to do is deactivate the app in notification screen: press "OFF" button, adjust system brightness upper enough to not flicker the screen, install your app, and activate Velis Autobrightness again
    • Because of Doze mode, wake up from this mode may avoid your screen light up, the first time you use your phone. Let 10-15 seconds your phone wake up, lock again, and unlock again, and velis will make its work!

I hope this post make your smartphone usable. I barely apply this trick to two phones, but I think this is a good workaround
    tnaffh likes this.
    09-04-2016 01:01 PM
    Nope. Don't waste your time with this advice. He's just trolling for app downloads. It made zero difference. Samsungs are just inferior products. I'm mad as hell about it, but lesson learned. Don't buy samsung
    09-05-2016 04:25 PM
    I think you aren't helping others. I am a S5 user and this is an annoying issue. A S5 with this issue can be used whenever can be awakened.
    tnaffh likes this.
    09-05-2016 05:42 PM
    Screen Flicker Workaround

Hi everyone

I want to share a workaround to all of us who owns a defective S5

Symptom: You unlock your phone and it doesn't show anything. Actually, the phone is working. Capacitive buttons light up and you may heard some activity in the phone

Your phone has a defective screen. There are a lot S5 which have this problem, according to several forums. After several tries, unlock and lock over and over, the screen light up and you are able to use your phone. The problem is when you receive a call and you want to know who is calling you, the screen doesn't illuminate and you won’t be able to know who is.

Here's a workaround which makes your powerful S5 usable and take out from your drawer.

Solution:
    The more effective way to fix it is: change defective screen! But sometimes it could cost as much as a new phone, or simply you can't afford it, and it's better to change your phone instead, and you put your S5 in a drawer.

The technical explanation of this problem is: Screen doesn't receive enough electrical current at low brightness levels (maybe the flex is defective, get old, etc)

Most probably the wake up problem exist together with screen flicker at low brightness levels
    The wake up problem rises up more in dark environment, when light sensor make low bright screen

The lock screen light up screen, with a dim effect: when you lock the phone, it slowly turn screen off, and when you unlock, it make and effect of dim screen.

When you are is in dark environment, the effect is very slow, preventing the screen illuminate because the technical problem explained before.

When you are in very light environment, you lock screen and sensor light make the screen very brilliant and chances are you defective phone wakes up correctly.

We can use an app which give us complete control over brightness subsystem. I use an app called Velis AutoBrightness:

Once installed from Play Store, it shows a Setting Wizard. Follow the instructions. Below are some notes
    • 1/7: Welcome Screen
    • 2/7: How bright... Most probably is your phone always have flicker in low brightness. Choose "AMOLED" or "AMOLED bright". By the way choosing any one of those cure always minimum brightness failure!
    • 3/7: Choose High sensitivity
    • 4/7: On, if you want additional brightness when charging. Irrelevant for this thead. Choose your favorite setting
    • 5/7: Same of 4/7
    • 6/7: Choose enable: That enable the app
    • 7/7: Some additional notes: Press Done

Now important settings: go to Menu > Settings > General: Settings Mode > Advanced
    Service Activation settings:
    • Disable system handler > ON: When you use Power saving mode, you surely noted screen flicker, which is very annoying, and make unusable power saving mode. By set this ON: Android doesn't set screen too dim; instead Velis have a minimum of brightness set by Wizard 2/7. (Surely you find out that you avoid screen flicker, by setting autobrightness off and slider in 8-10%)
    Sensors settings:
    • Screen-on sensor value override: Set this value to 30000. Read below this post if you want technical explanation of this setting

After you establish these settings, you'll be able to unlock your phone all the time!

This is the trick: When you unlock your phone, you'll note that the screen is very bright (because Screen-on to 30000) and quickly adjust to the environment light. The failure is that electrical current to screen is defective, and when exterior light is dark, the screen make a dim effect and doesn't light up.

Note to Marshmallow users:
    • This app make use of Screen overlay permisions: And marshmallow is very restrict with this kind of app. This is specially true when you are installing an app. All you have to do is deactivate the app in notification screen: press "OFF" button, adjust system brightness upper enough to not flicker the screen, install your app, and activate Velis Autobrightness again
    • Because of Doze mode, wake up from this mode may avoid your screen light up, the first time you use your phone. Let 10-15 seconds your phone wake up, lock again, and unlock again, and velis will make its work!

I hope this post make your smartphone usable. I barely apply this trick to two phones, but I think this is a good workaround
    I thing Rey is right about what causes this issue. I am an S5 user too and its having this same problem. It goes off mostly at night while I am sleeping and wakes up in around 9h00 in the morning.

I tried the suggested app and configured it as indicated but it was still blank this morning, so the app didnt cure it. But anyway I agrre with Rey Conzalez
    09-12-2016 03:05 AM
266 ... 91011