Galaxy S5 black screen upon wake up

isurvivorz

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I got my GS5 last week, and I'm loving it, but it have one issue that bugging me. This issue don't happen often (only 3 times since I've got it), when I put my phone to sleep, and wake it back on, the two soft buttons on the bottom of the screen (back and multi-tasking button) lit up, but the screen does not, I have to force to take out the battery and put it back in, turn the phone back on then it would work. Any1 else having this problem as well?
I did called the store i got it from, but they don't have any more s5 in stock :(, and Samsung won't replace mine (what kind of customer service is this?), the store I got it from said they have to see the issue with their own eyes to be able to exchange me a new one, IF there will be any new S5 coming in for the next week or so.
So please I really need help on this issue, this is my first Samsung galaxy device, hell, this is my first Android device.
Thanks!

TL;DR: my screen won't lit up upon waking the phone but the 2 buttons on the bottom of the screen lit up normally.

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If it hasnt been dropped since you got it maybe try a factory reset. Where did you buy it from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

isurvivorz

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I got it from WirelessWave (Sasktel's Authorized Dealer), and no it hasnt been dropped before, its in perfect condition cuz it have a case and a screen protector installed as soon as it came out of the original box. I'm not sure if this is hardware related issue or software, cuz i did some searching around and seems like the s4 also have it, but there are also suggestions that it could be due to KitKat 4.4.2 software issue as well, so if any1 can shed some light on this, it would be great!

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, since you have already pulled the battery the next step is to try a factory reset...settings/backup and reset/Factory data reset
Sometimes the firmware can get corrupted during install and this may resolve the issue. If you continue to have problems then a trip to your store is needed.

Cheers

isurvivorz

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies
I just did a factory reset, I hope this fixed the problem, I really do not to get it exchange, or replace or anything, such a hassle everytime I have to do so :(

Cody Still

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
You're not the only one with this issue..... Mine will do it during phone calls and ends up dropping the calls. I'm waiting for it to happen again so I can take it to AT&T.

Marina Bumber

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I don't have to pull out the battery since another push of the wake button will wake the screen but still it's annoying... And sometimes when my phone is ringing, I take it out of my bag and want to answer it but the screen is black and ringing... Also it's very slow to light up after I'm done with a phone call and remove it from my ears. So I don't get to hang up phone calls, the other one is always faster! Aaaaaaa! But other than that I love it B-)

Posted via Android Central App

stanleydaman

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
wow I am having the same issues except mine works at home perfectly its only when I take it out of the house do I get that stupid dark screen issue.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I also occasionally get this issue when hitting the button to turn on the screen and it lags for up to 30 seconds at times before the screen actually comes on. Haven't figured out root cause yet if it's an app I'm running or a setting I have, but definitely a problem for many people as well based on other forum threads.

isurvivorz

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I would assume this is NOT the physical hardware issue, but the software, I heard somewhere that Samsung version of KitKat 4.4.2 is quite buggy and glitchy.
@Cody Still and Marina Bumber: Mine does the exact same thing as described by Marina, its kinda annoying sometimes when u need to make sure u did hang up before putting the phone into pocket or away, especially when some of my friends and my parents never first to hang up, lol.
Either way I'm still loving this phone, and hope this issue can be resolve ASAP!

rflores5432

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been doing this same exact thing since I got it. Screen goes black and I can't wake it up. The bottom buttons will light up but screen will not come on no matter what I do. So I constantly have to pull the battery. It happens several times a day. I'm starting to read that this is becoming common happening to many other people.

davpic99

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been doing this about every 24 hours. I factory reset twice. I had a bunch of Tasker profiles set up and I had hoped that that was the problem, but it happened again this morning without Tasker running. I have a Verizon S5. I'm curious to hear if this is happening on all variants of the phone. I've been running with the fingerprint lock on and I'm going to see if using no lock makes any difference.

buddhahulk72

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Same thing here with AT&T phone. You can tell everything is working in the background, but with no display. Mine does it a couple of times a day with the screen finally coming on about 20-30 seconds later.

Airman1947

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this same problem too. It's a relief to hear that I'm not the only one. If anyone can find out for sure why this is happening, that'd be awesome.

Nathan Georges

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here!!

i hit the home button to wake the phone and the buttons light up but the screen stays black. I then hit the unlock button on the side a couple of times and it eventually comes on. Some times though i need to keep pressing all the buttons before it co-operates!

SAMSUNG YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

anon(8668430)

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
thats actually exactly what happened but i dropped mine and I though I had ruined the AMOLED but after ten minutes it fixed itself possible a saftey feature against drops...

Justdazed

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
This has happened to me twice. First instance was when I locked my phone via the power button and it wouldn't wake up (3 - 5 minutes with no lights at the bottom).
I did the hard reset and it went into recovery mode so I was able to restart. Thinking that it was a defective phone I was able to exchange it for another at the T-Mobile store.

Second instance was today when my NEW phone did the same thing. Locked via power button and it wouldn't wake up (wasn't paying attention to the lights). This time during the hard reset it just restarted and things so far have been ok. I called Samsung technical support and they recommended that I exchange the phone.

My husband has the Galaxy s5 as well and his phone has been fine. The only thing we can think of is he did a factory reset before using it. We're going to exchange my phone AGAIN but this time do a factory reset before using it. Crossing my fingers... but this is getting frusturating.

pnizzle20

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I am new to the samsung family and I also am experiencing this. Do you guys think this is something Samsung will address via a software update?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37