09-12-2016 03:05 AM
266 ... 678910 ...
tools
    To whom it may concern....

I've had this issue since April when I bought this contract free Galaxy S5 and follow all the tips on this forum... At one point I even had the idea that I solved it by tweaking some settings, but without any luck.

So I called Samsung Netherlands again, strangely enough they never heard of this problem?!?!! The tech guy told me to go to a Samsung premium server center to reload the initial software, I told them that I already this a factory reset using Kies 3. But it seams that in a Samsung service center they can reload the initial software which is not possible with Kies 3. So on friday I did this and within 20 minutes the initial software was reloaded, and cross my fingers, since 3 days no issues at all.... So maybe the initial batch got some bare software when they left the factory and the newer models where loaded with the issue fixed.

So I don't know if this is useful for anybody, but you never now, for now i'm a happy camper!
    07-13-2014 12:10 PM
    Well its been over a week with no issues. So all i did was leave bluetooth enabled. Weird.

I have no sdcard
    S voice is disabled
    And my screen animations are turned off (window animation scale, transition animation scale, animator duration scale)
    i also have no lock screen
    force gpu rendering is enabled
    android version 4.4.2 kernel version 3.4.0-1626427
    07-14-2014 05:11 PM
    Still no issues for me.
    07-17-2014 05:14 PM
    I sent my phone to Samsung for the second time. I got it back over two weeks ago and the issue has not happened since. They had to replace the screen. So if you are having this issue I would contact Samsung for support.
    07-18-2014 10:25 AM
    Been tired with the black screen problem and exchanged it with Note 3. Wow, couldn't be happier! This device is awesome on every things! I don't care about finger prints feature, water resistant or heart rate sensor on S5. The Note 3 i got is working smoothly and seamlessly...and i love the s-pen also.
    I would have waited for the note 4...

-Sent from Tapatalk
    07-18-2014 06:25 PM
    I dropped my phone yesterday (after having dropped a few times before that) and suddenly the screen went black. No matter what I do, the display won't show up. I've tried turning it off and back on, removing the battery and replacing it (several times), pushing the volume, home, and power buttons at the same time, and still nothing happens on the screen. The window and back buttons are lighting up, I can see my indicator light flashing to show I've gotten a text or email or something, and I can even hear my notification ringtone going off, but still the screen is black.

I've had my S5 for 3 and a half weeks, and a third of the screen was already cracked, with several small sections shattered, so I think this is a hardware, not a software issue.
    Any suggestions for fist steps? Should I take it into a store to get the screen/the phone replaced?

Also does anyone know if I can take my phone to a Sprint store if I have Credo Mobile?
    07-19-2014 12:23 PM
    I dropped my phone yesterday (after having dropped a few times before that) and suddenly the screen went black. No matter what I do, the display won't show up. I've tried turning it off and back on, removing the battery and replacing it (several times), pushing the volume, home, and power buttons at the same time, and still nothing happens on the screen. The window and back buttons are lighting up, I can see my indicator light flashing to show I've gotten a text or email or something, and I can even hear my notification ringtone going off, but still the screen is black.

I've had my S5 for 3 and a half weeks, and a third of the screen was already cracked, with several small sections shattered, so I think this is a hardware, not a software issue.
    Any suggestions for fist steps? Should I take it into a store to get the screen/the phone replaced?

Also does anyone know if I can take my phone to a Sprint store if I have Credo Mobile?
    I shattered my screen a month ago after it flew out of a golf cart. I tried the local repair places and they were all either too expensive ($300) or didn't have parts yet.

I called Samsung directly and they said the repair would only cost $160 which included tax and 2 day air shipping both ways.

I shipped my phone on a Tuesday, they got it Thursday, had it fixed and through quality control by Tuesday and I had my phone like new by that Thursday again.

4 biz days plus shipping time and I was good as new and that was for an entire new screen (LCD/digitizer and all, even though mine worked fine through the shattered glass)
    07-20-2014 08:25 AM
    Still counting and no issues.... I think the basic reinstall of the base software solved my problem!

To whom it may concern....

I've had this issue since April when I bought this contract free Galaxy S5 and follow all the tips on this forum... At one point I even had the idea that I solved it by tweaking some settings, but without any luck.

So I called Samsung Netherlands again, strangely enough they never heard of this problem?!?!! The tech guy told me to go to a Samsung premium server center to reload the initial software, I told them that I already this a factory reset using Kies 3. But it seams that in a Samsung service center they can reload the initial software which is not possible with Kies 3. So on friday I did this and within 20 minutes the initial software was reloaded, and cross my fingers, since 3 days no issues at all.... So maybe the initial batch got some bare software when they left the factory and the newer models where loaded with the issue fixed.

So I don't know if this is useful for anybody, but you never now, for now i'm a happy camper!
    07-20-2014 03:03 PM
    Tested two S5 and both had the problem. In both cases the issue was the sdcard. Factory resets were not needed. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-21-2014 10:25 PM
    well after about 2 weeks. i got the black screen again. but if i press the home button and wait several seconds it comes back....and the screen is fine...
    07-22-2014 06:16 PM
    I got my S5 last week. Since 2011 I've had HTC smartphones, first was HTC Incredible then the Droid DNA. I loved my DNA but it got stolen. Then I got a refurb with a bad battery. I upgraded to the S5 and have been getting used to the OS. One of things I noticed is when waking up the phone, I'll try to input my password and after a second the screen will blackout. I have to wake it back up and try again. Is there a feature to fix/stop this from happening?
    07-24-2014 02:36 PM
    Ok, I guess I spoke too soon. After I thought I had the problem solved, and it didn't come back for a couple months, but recently it started happening again every few days. The screen would be black on wake.

So I did some more troubleshooting, and NOW I think I've found a solution that works. It hasn't happened in about a week, now. One thing I did was I uninstalled the app Tasker that I had. I'm not sure if this was really what fixed it, or if anybody else on here has Tasker, but I heard some rumors about problems that it was causing, so I got rid of it.

But, the other thing that I did, I am more hopeful about. I moved all of my apps off of the SD card, Around the same time that I got rid of Tasker, I started moving various apps to my SD card to try to speed my phone up. I noticed as I was doing so, the phone froze up and the blank screen happened twice. That gave me a clue that it might have been related to this, especially since so many people on here are flagging the SD card. I already had a bunch of apps on there, so I went back and moved everything to my device memory (which wasn't a problem since my SD card was getting full anyway). I reset the phone, and an "Android is Updating" screen came up and it looked like it was processing all of my apps. After it finished, the phone booted up normally, and it's been running fine since. If anyone wouldn't mind trying this, I'd be interested to see if it helps.

Just go into Settings > Applications > Application Manager, and scroll over to the "SD Card" tab. This list shows all apps that can be moved to the SD card as opposed to device memory, and any of them that have a check mark next to them are on the SD card. Select any such apps, and on the screen that comes up, press the "Move to Device Memory" button. After you do this for all checked apps, restart the phone. Let me know if this works. Thanks!
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-26-2014 12:40 PM
    i contacted verizon about having this issue with my phone and they are sending out a replacement s5 should be here in 2 days for anyone thinking of going to samsung and waiting 10 days to get their phone back i would talk to your carrier their more apt to help you right away or lose your business
    08-03-2014 09:33 AM
    I also had this problem. I've dropped my phone twice (with spigen neo hybrid case), around 2 ft. The screen was entirely black but the unit is responding. After a month, it happened again until it was intermittent. I have found out that it is a "hardware issue".

Galaxy S5 black screen upon wake up-galaxy-s5-home.jpg

If pressure is applied to this area (encircled) , the screen will either go dark or display will be black. I've send it to Samsung service center and they opted to change the LCD. I'll be getting my unit next week. I'll provide update if my problem will be solved.
    09-06-2014 02:39 AM
    I also had this problem. I've dropped my phone twice (with spigen neo hybrid case), around 2 ft. The screen was entirely black but the unit is responding. After a month, it happened again until it was intermittent. I have found out that it is a "hardware issue".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy-s5-home.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	135476

If pressure is applied to this area (encircled) , the screen will either go dark or display will be black. I've send it to Samsung service center and they opted to change the LCD. I'll be getting my unit next week. I'll provide update if my problem will be solved.

Received my unit today. Its working perfectly fine right now. Its a hardware problem just as I thought.

Already changed my case to s view. Hope this will help others.
    09-07-2014 10:36 AM
    Mine got fixed when tmo had a software update a couple of months ago. Been perfect since and nothing changed otherwise as far as any settings go, just that software update. My wife's iphone 5s had been swapped twice for a similar issue, both times apple said it was an application crashing. But in the the case of the iPhone, it was definately hardware.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    09-07-2014 03:47 PM
    This started happening to me about a week or so ago and when I thought back to any apps I had installed or changed, I realized I had Turned ON the My Magazine/Flipbook app. I had initially turned it off when I got the phone, but I got tired of seeing the same "news" when I'd accidentally scroll too far to the left, so I turned it back on. I have turned it off again (can't uninstall it) so I am hoping that fixes the problem. I did a Restart after I turned it off. I'll report back if I start having the issue again.
    09-14-2014 09:47 AM
    I've been through this whole thread and trying to figure out what the similarities are because my friends, I have this SAME problem.. black screen, still hear sound, screen don't wake up, info/back keys illuminated..

no here's the kicker..

I don't have the S5, I have the T-Mobile issued Note 3!
    09-16-2014 11:44 PM
    The trick is quiet simple. you dont have to remove the battery. When your screen blacks out, simply hold the power/wake up button and the screen next to the power button. There is a sensor close to the ear piece. One finger on the power button and another on the ear piece and it will wake up.

Let me know if it works

thanks
    Ronnie
    Steffen Schou likes this.
    09-17-2014 04:33 AM
    This is the only thing what I don't like about samsung, the quality of the product is unreliable, too many issues. All my samsung phones have had one issue or another. Never had a problem with nexus or apple.
    09-17-2014 04:51 AM
    Had the same problem. Restarting without the SD card solved it for me. Inserting the SD card again recreated the problem. So I think it is SD card related.
    09-20-2014 11:29 AM
    The trick is quiet simple. you dont have to remove the battery. When your screen blacks out, simply hold the power/wake up button and the screen next to the power button. There is a sensor close to the ear piece. One finger on the power button and another on the ear piece and it will wake up.

Let me know if it works

thanks
    Ronnie
    This worked for me - however, I still don't know what is causing the black screen to occur, and it's quite annoying not being able to rely on your device like that. Do you have any idea what causes the BSOD? Possible lasting fix for this?
    09-22-2014 02:56 AM
    Besides my screen going black from time to time I also get a yellow tint screen that will go away when I turn off or put to sleep the phone. I'm wondering if I have a defective unit. T-Mobile wants me to take the phone to one of there stores that have a Samsung rep to have the phone evaluated.
    09-25-2014 09:42 AM
    I have the exact same problem with the window getting a yellowish tint every now and then. I've noticed if I press on the back up near the camera it will go back to normal. I am also having the black screens.
    10-01-2014 02:32 PM
    I still continue to have this issue with my phone and it's incredibly annoying. I tried getting sprint to replace it but they won't, stating that it's a 'known issue' and there isn't any known 'resolutions' right now.

just in the past week, I had a phone call come through that I wasn't able to answer because the screen wouldn't turn on as well as my alarm going off and not being able to turn it off until I was able to get the damn screen to turn on.

I think it's fairly unacceptable that this issue hasn't been resolved yet...
    10-02-2014 04:11 PM
266 ... 678910 ...