Galaxy S5 black screen upon wake up

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Sounds more like an Android bug and/or some sort of app conflict.

Are you guys using the STOCK Touchwiz UI? Or some sort of launcher? Also, are you using any lockscreen apps?

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I turned off S health and still the issue returned.

The one that worked for me was removing the smart remote from the lock screen. I still have very minor delays (couple seconds) once in awhile, but much better than 30 second delays I had before removing it. (Thanks to previous poster for this tip! )

Posted via Android Central App

DarshOne

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am from far northern CA and my VZW GS5 had never experienced this problem until I came to SF, (and after I installed the s view smart cover).

First the battery was running absurdly hot and charge level was dropping 10%/hr. So i did a battery pull and turned off mobile data and hoped it was just finding new towers or whatever after the trip. Returned to normal temp.

Next day I had removed the s view cover (just as I had presumed its nothing but a hindrance to use of the phone, which is already next to impossible to use one handed/quickly/on the road to change a song).

However I had noticed the screen having issues when the s view cover was on, for the first 24hrs it was a novelty and worked fine. Of course that didn't last. It began to take too long to come on or not come on at all after opening the cover. So I took it off for the day and used my spigen low profile plastic case.

Go out for the day and pull the phone from my pocket, aaand more failure. Now my screen wont turn on just like all you guys are experiencing.

I already erased all of tasker, all of secure settings, due to the last time the phone started screwing up, and now I have erased Apex launcher which again fixed the problem temporarily. I then tried the S-View case again last nite, lo and behold, same screen issues.

Battery pull has fixed it temporarily, while my overpriced S-view case has been angrily thrown across the room (waste of $40).

So now in true android fashion I am going to start turing off every feature that i bought this phone, for one by one, in order to figure out which one is making my $700 paperweight not turn on.

Not gonna lie, I sure miss the simplicity of my always working iphone at the moment.

Matt Ellis2

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The one that worked for me was removing the smart remote from the lock screen. I still have very minor delays (couple seconds) once in awhile, but much better than 30 second delays I had before removing it. (Thanks to previous poster for this tip! )

This actually might have worked for me. I removed it from the lock screen and it'd been fine all day. I'm gonna give it another day before I say I found the issue......

chrissybleu

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I just got my phone from AT&T yesterday and finally finished setting everything up; actually, I was in the middle of setting up my voicemail the first time it happened. I pulled the phone away from my ear to hit a prompt and it was just black and wouldn't wake up though I could still hear the call. It has since happened repeatedly. The most common is for it to give me a message notification ring while it is sleeping and then won't wake up for me when I try to check the message. I guess I have to try the factory reset (damn it) because they will make me do it anyway. I'm just so frustrated.

davpic99

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
This was happening to me once a week. I turned off S Voice and it hasn't happened since. Doesn't even ever lag anymore.

Daemonswolf

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problem over the past couple of days. Took the phone into Verizon and explained what was going on, hoping that their techs had seen the problem before and knew a fix. The tech I spoke with agreed with me that this problem is probably software based - which is why so many of you are experiencing the problem, despite exchanging phones.

They're sending me a new phone to see if my problem isn't a one off hardware anomaly, BUT...

I eventually troubleshooted the problem to my SView case. I delved into the App manager on my phone and found out that the SView App Cache was ridiculously high (like 15KB!). There is no reason a passive app like that should have such a high cache allocation. I believe, that despite cache clearing regularly through ZDBox - a habit I picked up from my older crummier smartphones - the SView App cache wasn't clearing. I cleared the cache a few hours ago and so far I've not had any problems with this phone.

I'm going to go ahead and accept the new phone Verizon is sending me because I want to start with a clean slate, but the phone won't get here for two days, so I'll keep you updated if cache clearing fixes the problem.

Settings> Applications>Application Manger> Swipe to All Aplications Com> Open Com.sec.android.sviewcover> Clear Data

razzle17

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here on my S5 from FIDO. I don't use an SView case. Thought it might be the security lock screen causing the issue, but turning off all security locks does not fix the problem. When the screen turns off and I hit the home screen there is a huge lag before it turns back on. Usually it will turn on after 10-30 seconds, but sometimes the screen becomes completely unresponsive and I need to remove the battery to hard reset.

This looks to me like a software issue that Samsung really needs to address.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here on my S5 from FIDO. I don't use an SView case. Thought it might be the security lock screen causing the issue, but turning off all security locks does not fix the problem. When the screen turns off and I hit the home screen there is a huge lag before it turns back on. Usually it will turn on after 10-30 seconds, but sometimes the screen becomes completely unresponsive and I need to remove the battery to hard reset.

I completely agree. Same exact symptoms and I've tried everything.

Matt Ellis2

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I just think it's very interesting that it's only happening to a select few devices.... For a while there I thought I was the only one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze