Galaxy S5 black screen upon wake up

TeddyTri1991

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was having the same exact problem as y'all but I might have found the cause of the problem.

4 days ago, the black screen happened about 10 times a day on my S5. But when I know that the phone is working and only the display was error, my theory is that the screen is not well-attached onto the phone itself. So I began to push the screen onto the phone a lil bit, and guess what? It kinda solve the problem.

Now the black screen only happened 2 times in 3 days, which is a hell of an improvement. But still, I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue (hopefully not).

See if this method helps you guys

Thanks

-Teddy

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that it's a possible hardware issue. There are a few other previous posts on this thread that also say squeezing the phone or pushing on the bezel fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.

Posted via Android Central App - Verizon S5

aavery1996

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I got my GS5 last week, and I'm loving it, but it have one issue that bugging me. This issue don't happen often (only 3 times since I've got it), when I put my phone to sleep, and wake it back on, the two soft buttons on the bottom of the screen (back and multi-tasking button) lit up, but the screen does not, I have to force to take out the battery and put it back in, turn the phone back on then it would work. Any1 else having this problem as well?
I did called the store i got it from, but they don't have any more s5 in stock :(, and Samsung won't replace mine (what kind of customer service is this?), the store I got it from said they have to see the issue with their own eyes to be able to exchange me a new one, IF there will be any new S5 coming in for the next week or so.
So please I really need help on this issue, this is my first Samsung galaxy device, hell, this is my first Android device.
Thanks!

TL;DR: my screen won't lit up upon waking the phone but the 2 buttons on the bottom of the screen lit up normally.

Its the memory card!!!! If you have an sd card try taking that out and see if it works!! Saved my life

Last edited by a moderator:

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Its the memory card!!!! If you have an sd card try taking that out and see if it works!! Saved my life

I don't think it's that simple. I had it happen one time and I have never installed a memory card in my phone.

I think there is a strong possibility that it is a physical problem. Bad connection, solder, internal component overheating. Or it could be firmware issue (not apps but the core I/O stuff like bios or video drivers on a computer) Why do I think this? Because a software issue can usually be narrowed down to a specific app or circumstance. If you look at this thread solutions are all over the place. Press the screen, disable certain programs, turn off power saving mode. Perhaps what I find more telling is that some people claim to have the black screen issue several times a day while others have no issue at all. It only happened to me one time ever, and I have not changed a thing as far as my use. I've had my phone for 2 months.

amemmes

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is any of those things (never had a micro sd card in there, have had the camera setting on or off, etc). I sent my phone to Samsung. They said it was an issue downloading software (which makes sense because it seems that every time I restart it after popping the battery some software update downloads). Got it back yesterday and it happened again today. So frustrating. And after talking to Samsung again their rep wanted me to try things that were already tried and she is saying I have to send it in again. :mad:

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is any of those things (never had a micro sd card in there, have had the camera setting on or off, etc). I sent my phone to Samsung. They said it was an issue downloading software (which makes sense because it seems that every time I restart it after popping the battery some software update downloads). Got it back yesterday and it happened again today. So frustrating. And after talking to Samsung again their rep wanted me to try things that were already tried and she is saying I have to send it in again. :mad:

Are they sending you the same phone or a replacement?

Rhyno77

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys!

I'm having the same problem.. I do notice, however, that if i press my finger against the white bezel above the display (where front facing camera is) this normally wakes the screen up.. Seems to be some kind of hardware glitch or something to do with the camera function?

/Aarto

This is what I have to do. I think the issue is with the proximity sensor, not anything to do with the camera or anything else.
I just run my finger across the 2 sensors at the top and it comes back to life, as if I had held it to my head then took it away.

Alex Iskandar

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Possible Solution?

I think I have found the solution for this nasty problem.

I've tried everything I have read here in this thread, factory reset, enable/disable apps etc. etc. I've called Samsung in the Netherlands and strangely enough they had never heard of this problem. There advise was to take the phone to a service center and get a deep factory restore???

Based on the occurrences I got me thinking that it has something to do with the lock screen, and yes i've tried disabling and enabling the camera short cut but without any results. Than I have read something about the health apps, also enabled/disabled them.

Than I noticed that the lock screen displays the actual weather forecast on the lock screen, so i've disabled the additional information function.
This function displays the weather and the pedo meter from s-health...

Since disabling this function, no more black screen for me! I hope this help some other S5 users out there!
Settings>Lock Screen->>Additional Information to Off
Hi all, I'm also having this issues. Seems now the problems increased.
And I think it is related to proximity sensor and somehow the auto lock. The issues seems
I have the S view flip cover with chip on that.

The problem arisen increasingly, when I'm using standard cover on my s5 and then the blank screen showed.
Then I found a clue, I just open the standard cover and use my flip cover. All the sudden my s5 working perfectly with cover and the s view.

so my conclusion, this is something wrong with the sensor. And also may be something related to flip cover and the s-view program.
The problem haven't resolved up to now.

Marina Bumber

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm no techie whatsoever but I think it has something to do with proximity sensor since when I'm done with a phone call and want to end it it stays dark so long that I never get to end it, the other one is always quicker.

I rest my case.

sharma abhishek03

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I bought samsung s5 two months ago and have been facing the same problem ,I tried to get in touch with samsung customer care also reagrding this.
Samsung support team suggested below steps.
1.Take the battery out and restart the device ,that dint work in my case.
2.Run the device in safe mode,safe mode can be activated by pressing the down volume rocker while the phone starts up,this mode restricts all third party applications and runs bare minimum applications
This also dint work in my case,even with bare minimum applications issue was reproduced,suggesting this was not caused because of some third party application.
3.Do backup and factory reset,so i downloaded the samsung kies 3 software ,did a backup ,did factory reset .
While restoring the data i realized that i have lost my sms( crazy kies)
This also dint work in my case.

Last option was to drop the phone at the samsug customer care centre.

I just as hit and trial effort activated the smart stay option and after that the issue has not been reproduced,it had been 3 days .
I will keep u guyz updated if i face it still ,but as far as now issue seems resolved.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
A few fixes that have worked for others

Factory reset BUT do not sign in your Gmail SKIP IT for awhile and try the phone.

SD card remove- some the new app permissions are messing w the software when they are saved to SD.

Create a new user through settings and see if that works.

Posted via Android Central App

selfself2

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
i've had my galaxy for about a week now and i started having this problem by the second day. It happened every single time my screen went off. I went through this whole thread and tried just about everything and it didn't work. I spoke to a tech at Samsung which did resolve my issue. I have been using my phone for two days now with no issue.

The first thing to do is to power off your Android smartphone and remove the battery and put it back in.
Then press power, volume up and home buttons at the same time, simultaneously.
Keep pressing these keys until recovery mode is being displayed on your Galaxy S5.
In recovery mode, use volume up and down buttons in order to scroll up and down; also use power button in order to select your option.
Finally clear cache.

I will keep you guys posted if the problem comes back. The tech was positive that this solved my issue but I am still a bit nervous it might just have solved it temporarily.

Airman1947

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I think I've FINALLY gotten the problem to go away on my end. It hasn't done it in a few weeks now, at least not to the point where the screen is so dead that I have to take the battery out. A couple of times, it wouldn't come on right away, and only the buttons lit up. But after rapidly pressing the Power button a few times, the screen came back on. I'm wondering if this is just what I had to do in the first place. I don't think so, though. But, I would try that if you're having this problem.

I managed to get it to work by tinkering with various settings, and apparently, this one works. One of them was to disable S-Voice like someone suggested. Not sure if that was it. However, I did NOT press down harder on the screen or the battery cover like someone else suggested. So, in my case, it does not appear to be hardware. To summarize what I've determined about the problem:

Things I've ruled out:
  • Hardware issue
  • Runtime system (seems to happen for both Dalvik and ART)
  • Disabling system apps (even with them all enabled, problem still existed)
  • My custom launcher (I believe it happened even when I was using stock)
  • Enabling Aggressive Desktop (happens regardless)
  • Having an S-View Case (I don't have one)
  • Travel Destinations Lock Screen Wallpaper Enabled (doesn't make a difference)
  • Factory Reset (I fixed it without doing a fac reset)
  • Clearing Phone Cache (Doesn't seem to help)
  • Needing software update (I have the latest one for my Verizon S5)
  • Enabling Force GPU Rendering (Doesn't make a difference)

So, all of that being said, I believe that what did it for me was one of the settings or one of the apps that I disabled. Might perhaps be a software glitch of some sort? Anyway, I have all of the following apps disabled (Turned off):
  • Accessories
  • Amazon
  • Amazon Kindle
  • Amazon MP3
  • Amazon Appstore
  • Caller Name ID
  • Drive
  • Flipboard
  • Google Play Games
  • Google Play Movies & TV
  • Google Play Music
  • Google Play Newsstand
  • Hangouts
  • IMDb
  • Isis Mobile Wallet
  • Memo
  • Slacker
  • Verizon Support & Protection
  • Verizon Tones
  • VZ Navigator

Also, here are some special settings that I tweaked:
  • Lock screen - > Additional Information OFF
  • Air View -> OFF
  • All Motions and Gestures -> OFF
  • Toolbox -> OFF

I believe that's everything. I can't say for sure which one of these things fixed the problem...if any of them! It could have been a hiccup. And, the problem might vary, but it is working for me in this configuration. Hope that helps!

hawaiisaurus

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
it seems there may be several problems causing this.....mine appears to be hardware....every time the black screen happens..i eventually found that if i softly twisted the phone a little bit, a green flash would come up....after that..the screen will turn on fine again. unfortunately, i'm not in the place where i bought the phone for another few weeks, so can't take it back to samsung for warranty yet.

but, i tried to narrow down the problem with the hardware, and seeing what actually moves when there is some twisting on the phone...i suspect it might be a problem with the battery connection somehow? I tried inserting a small piece of folded-up paper on top of the battery before closing the cover (in essence, pushing the battery down further)...and the problem disappeared right away and hasn't happened again in a few days....

so..maybe worthed a try?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the last 5 or 6 suggestions.

I bookmarked every single one, for my future "problem" that just might show up.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had this happened three days in a row the first week after getting my new Verizon S5. I was not aware of twisting the phone or anything mechanical to cause it. Once when it happened I just put the phone down for about 20 minutes to see it it would come back but the screen still did not come on. Each time I had to pull the battery to restart it.

I took the phone back and the rep suggested several things to try. First was to remove my SD card (which had been in my S3 without a problem). Next I uninstalled Lookout. Then he had me replace Lookout with Clean Master. A week later with no problems I got a new SC card and installed it. I still have not had a problem. Not sure which of these fixed it.

My wife also got an S5 at the same time as mine. Her's has Lookout installed but never had an SD card and that phone has not had a problem.

Walter

PattyPos

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
This isn't just an s5 problem. It is happening with my Galaxy Light as well.

DH and I both got one about 1.5 months ago. Mine has had the problem from about day 1 and is getting worse. His isn't having the problem at all. I don't have an SD card. He does. I don't have some of the setting/apps etc mentioned here, but he does and doesn't have a problem. Sometimes we both have those setting and apps, but still only I have the problem.

I'll have to slowly go through the suggested ideas here. It will be hard to tell which ones work as sometimes this happened 4-5 times a day for me, sometimes not at all or only once. I appreciate the ideas.

We got these off HSN. Never ordered there before. I guess I will need to look into figuring out out to return it if this stuff doesn't work.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I don't have to pull out the battery since another push of the wake button will wake the screen but still it's annoying... And sometimes when my phone is ringing, I take it out of my bag and want to answer it but the screen is black and ringing... Also it's very slow to light up after I'm done with a phone call and remove it from my ears. So I don't get to hang up phone calls, the other one is always faster! Aaaaaaa! But other than that I love it B-)

Posted via Android Central App

I believe that's just the software. I find mine is slower than any other handset I have used. When I'm done with a call I take it from my eat and go to hang up and have to wait a few seconds for it to light up again. Weird

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
This has happened to me twice. First instance was when I locked my phone via the power button and it wouldn't wake up (3 - 5 minutes with no lights at the bottom).
I did the hard reset and it went into recovery mode so I was able to restart. Thinking that it was a defective phone I was able to exchange it for another at the T-Mobile store.

Second instance was today when my NEW phone did the same thing. Locked via power button and it wouldn't wake up (wasn't paying attention to the lights). This time during the hard reset it just restarted and things so far have been ok. I called Samsung technical support and they recommended that I exchange the phone.

My husband has the Galaxy s5 as well and his phone has been fine. The only thing we can think of is he did a factory reset before using it. We're going to exchange my phone AGAIN but this time do a factory reset before using it. Crossing my fingers... but this is getting frusturating.

Have you guys disabled svoice?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If I want to quickly do something else, I always hit the Home Key and get on with it.

If I want to be sure everything has closed down, I just use the Double Menu button to bring up the apps used list and select Close All.

Some of the apps I have are very exasperating about not wanting to let you exit them. So, I just force them closed.

If I want to close an app, I don't need to be asked "are you really sure?"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante