Galaxy S5 Calendar Help!

topher#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I want to use Google Calendar and NOT use the Samsung Calendar app. When I get an invite in gmail and try to accept it, it opens the *#@!# Samsung Calendar app! I cannot disable this stock app nonsense, nor can I set Google Calendar as my default calendar app anywhere. Help!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I want to use Google Calendar and NOT use the Samsung Calendar app. When I get an invite in gmail and try to accept it, it opens the *#@!# Samsung Calendar app! I cannot disable this stock app nonsense, nor can I set Google Calendar as my default calendar app anywhere. Help!

When I had my S3, I did it this way: I had 2 calendars. I liked the view that Samsung had, and used it to look at what I had coming up. I used the separate Google Calendar app to input events. I know it's not the greatest solution, but it worked for me.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings Default Applications and clear Calendar. Then tap on a calendar item and choose the Google Calendar to always open items of this type. It's confusing (and maybe confusing to the system) because the stock and Google calendar apps are called Calendar.

I have the Today Calendar, and it's the default app to open calendar items.

topher#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings Default Applications and clear Calendar. Then tap on a calendar item and choose the Google Calendar to always open items of this type. It's confusing (and maybe confusing to the system) because the stock and Google calendar apps are called Calendar.

I have the Today Calendar, and it's the default app to open calendar items.

I don't have any calendar listed in default applications. Cannot seem to get one to show up but this sounds like what I want - anyone know how to set a default app for calendar?

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

First go into application settings- all- and find the calendar and force close and "Turn Off". In the apps list Google calendar should be the only one in the list. I have been using Cal by Any.do and it's been working great and parsing through my google calendar and gmail. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

sdslw

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a bit old, but did anyone ever figure this out? I can't seem to make Google Calendar the default. Doesn't appear like Samsung allows you to default the calendar to anything but the Samsung Calendar.

frac81

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Hoping to keep this thread alive until there is a solution. I have the same question as topher#AC since I too do not have calendar listed in the default apps, in fact there are only two listed and I cannot seem to discover how to add any. Unfortunately, I also cannot "turn off" the stock calendar app as psp1232171 suggests. I can turn off the widget and calendar storage, but not the calendar app itself. I can only force stop and clear the cache.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have successfully solved the double notification problem by disabling notifications in the stock calendar app, but the biggest issue is that all invites open in the stock calendar app and it does not have the features I need/want.

Thanks!

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The first time I received an invite after force stopping the stock calendar, turning off its notifcations and installing google calendar, I was asked which program I wanted to use to open the invitation, Google Calendar or the stock calendar. I chose Google, and always, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

frac81

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Emanwis, you are in better shape than I. Doing the same thing you described does not give me the prompt to select the default application, it just opens up the stock calendar again. Rather frustrating. I guess I am going to continue force stopping the stock calendar and see if one lucky invite will solve my problem.

It does leave me wondering why hardware manufacturers would disable the default setting choices for some functions, but not others. My HTC handset lets me select a default for every action imaginable whereas the Samsung flat out denies me this choice. HTC 1, Samsung 0. I'm sure rooting it would probably help, but that's not something I am interested in at this point.

Jamie Lang

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue: I somehow have the Samsung calendar as the default when I add new calendar items. If anybody has a suggestion on how to get a new default calendar to work, after already using the other calendars, I'd appreciate that. Thanks, Jamie

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to go to settings-applications-default applications and see calendar with a clear next to it? Its on mine. I had to scroll down, as the calendar was the last in the list of defaults. I didn't clear the default as I was afraid I would end up messing something up now that it defaults to the Google calendar as I want it to.

ColeTrain1786

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Are you able to go to settings-applications-default applications and see calendar with a clear next to it? Its on mine. I had to scroll down, as the calendar was the last in the list of defaults. I didn't clear the default as I was afraid I would end up messing something up now that it defaults to the Google calendar as I want it to.

Like everyone else, I too am frustrated by this.

Under default applications, there is no calendar entry. In the same tree as default applications (settings>applications) you can set preferences for system apps including the calendar. Is this what you see under yours emanwis? Is there a chance your phone is rooted? Could it be carrier specific? I'm on Verizon.

ColeTrain1786

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I also wanted to add that as mentioned above, turning off the stock calendar app seems to also affect the background service that Google Calendar uses which leaves me with a blank Google Calendar.

If someone else could comment on this, I would appreciate evidence that I did it wrong, or confirmation you see the same thing. Thanks.

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been putting up with this issue since I got my Note 3 last year. I use Google Calendar and wanted to use the Google Calendar App and not the Samsung. When I had Google Calendar installed, I had to put up with duplicate notifications . . . irritated me so much that I uninstalled Google Calendar.

So now with my Note 4, I tried again and it looks like I have a solution.

Open Samsung Calendar (the Green one!). Go into Settings, and choose Event Notification > Select alert type. Set this to Off.

Calendar.png

And that's it.

Now I have a Samsung Gear Fit and I had to enable Notifications for Google Calendar, and that seems to work fine. Hope this helps.

David Hill7

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get a resolution to disabling S Calendar (or at least notifications) and being able to have the Google Calendar manage calendar events and linked invites as the default "ics" handler? This would function much the same as email does where clicking a link in a "mailto" link in email would open the Google Calendar app by default instead of S Calendar.

John M3

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
This does not seem to be getting any attention by Google or Samsung. I can not get Google Calendar to run and see no option to set defaults or any option to remove S.Planner as installed in my GS5. I will start by expressing myself on the samsung site. Not that they care but if enough of us say it...this is not how I wanted my leap of faith from Apple to start.
In the short term, I have installed a web shortcut to G calendar that seems to work. It just won't tie into notifications.
JPMBC

John M3

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Update: after further reading on other sites, I discovered I was not going far enough in to Applications Manager. There are several pages and if you swipe over to All, I found S Planner in 2 installed Apps. First I disabled both and cleared the data. My phone lost it's mind. It started giving me an error per second. Using one key stroke at a time between errors, I reenabled the larger one. And it worked. I checked my install of Google Calendar and all is working. No more error messages. Yay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy