03-28-2018 02:51 AM
147 12345 ...
tools
    Well that makes sense. This thread is for Galaxy S5 users. For that phone, you are on your own.
    08-13-2014 04:26 PM
    Here is how I did it. Go into your contacts. Choose the contact that you want a custom message tone. Edit that contact. At the bottom choose to add additional fields. You can choose to add message ringtone there. When you save from there, you will have that option to change the ringtone. save the contact and you are done.
    I've had my s5 for about a week & I hadn't found anyway to do this!! Thank You so very much!!
    08-14-2014 02:29 AM
    This is what I did to customize gmail notifications.
    Open gmail - click on the 3 bars on upper left beside inbox -
    select settings (towards the bottom)
    select your email address -
    select inbox sound & vibrate -
    select sound and choose whatever tone or mp3 you want.
    This can be different from the general text notification sound you already have on the general phone settings.
    08-15-2014 11:52 AM
    I did this but it didn't work, for either contacts or the standard. Still uses the defaul.
    08-29-2014 02:40 PM
    You can only download "message tones" NOT Ringtones in messaging on Galaxy S5!
    09-21-2014 12:54 PM
    This was so helpful. I did what cyberdman said and his method worked. I have been trying for months to change just the messaging tone and nothing worked. Thank you so much cyberdman!
    cyberdman likes this.
    10-01-2014 03:51 PM
    The big problem is, and no one is really explaining, is that if you are using message plus instead of message (the standard version), there is a different fix. On your contact in (a person, not a group) message plus screen, at the very top left next to the person's picture are three tiny dots. Flick those to the right and a new window will open. scroll down(up?) and you can see "customize conversation". Click on tones and you can add any custom tone you want to make your text notification different than any other contact. So, if I want to give "tom A" a star wars text notification, I would swipe the three lines next to his pic to the right, scroll to customize, click tones and set whatever tone or song I wanted. Simple, just hard to find those tiny little lines.
    Ahartman likes this.
    10-01-2014 08:05 PM
    Just copy your custom ringtone file into the notifications folder on your device and it will show up in the list for you to select.

Posted via Android Central App
    This worked like a charm and no messing about , go to the folder location where sound file you want to use, then tap on the options top right (3 dots)/ tap "Select"/ check the box/s for the sound file/s you want then tap options again(3 dots)/ tap "move"/ "Device" and locate "Notifications" in this folder tap "move here". job done now go to setting/ sound/ notifications and you find you sound file/s and this will work no problems.
    10-02-2014 03:25 AM
    Thank you so much cyberdman!
    You are more than welcome!
    10-02-2014 08:41 AM
    Been trying to do this for a long time. Worked a treat.... Thanks
    10-09-2014 07:26 AM
    how do I copy the tone? (new to the galaxy) On my S5 I don't see a option to copy and I'm running a macbook pro so windows options are out. Any advice? thanks a bunch,
    -Chris
    10-11-2014 11:24 AM
    Is there a way to make it where the text msg notification silences when you touch the power button or something like that after setting a custom ringtone? It goes through the entire length of the ringtone and you can't change the volume even on the s5 and s4. The only way I've found to silence it is to drag down the top screen and that is very inconvenient if the phone is locked.

Thanks.
    10-19-2014 10:30 PM
    Your suggestion worked! Thanks - but for the novice a more detailed step by step process might be needed so here it is. 1) go to APPS 2) go to "my files" click on "Device Storage" 3) go to "ringtones" (or where you stored the download) 4) click on the three little dots in the top right hand corner to open up the menu option 5) click on "select" 6) tap on the file you want to move or copy (if you move the file won't show up on your ringtone side ... so "copy" is a better option 7) click on "device storage" (please note from here you can also throw things to an SD Card if you have one installed) 8) find the folder "notifications" click,. 9) click on the top right hand corner where it says "move here". Now - go back to "Settings". Then "notifications". Scroll to you find your choice. Click and done. PS If you want to customize message notification, you can scroll down to that option, click and follow the screen prompts.
    10-26-2014 07:24 PM
    We receive texts from servers in distress. However, they don't come from another phone number, they come from an E-Mail sent to the Verizon gateway. E.G. “5551234567 at vtext dot com.” They are received as by the phone as text messages with a From as "name at domain name dot com". Is there a way to assign a separate ring tone to those messages?
    10-27-2014 11:16 AM
    Yes, but the notification is not from another telephone number, it is from server_alert at domain dot com.
    10-30-2014 07:07 PM
    Ok I see the option for setting a personalized sound in the contracts but when I set that it says the sound is set, but it plays the standard sound set for the phone. Any ideas?
    IT_Architect likes this.
    11-05-2014 12:49 PM
    I figured it out. There are 2 message services on this phone (message+) :red with message bubbles in it. and (messages) a white envelope with a yellow letterhead sticking out. click the message icon and it asks if you would like to make that your default messager. Click yes and now you're personalized contacts will work.
    IT_Architect likes this.
    11-06-2014 07:58 PM
    I figured it out. There are 2 message services on this phone (message+) :red with message bubbles in it. and (messages) a white envelope with a yellow letterhead sticking out. click the message icon and it asks if you would like to make that your default messager. Click yes and now you're personalized contacts will work.
    I will give that a try.

Thank you for replying!
    11-07-2014 12:35 PM
    As explained earlier, you edit the contact, click "Add another field", notification is right there.

Posted via Android Central App
    I did just as you suggested. I clicked to edit a contact. I scrolled down to "add another field" and chose "message tone". I chose "whistle" for the tone, clicked "ok" and then save". The contact's screen shows that now the message tone is Whistle. But, when that contact texted me, the tone was not the Whistle. It was the default tone. I was trying to use the Whistle for all contacts who are family members so that tone would be distinctive to me. But, that just is not working. I had it working on the Galaxy S3 just fine. I am confused as to why it appears the change was made but, in actuality, it does not work. Has anyone come up with another way to do it?
    IT_Architect likes this.
    11-18-2014 04:30 PM
    Ok. I tried what awindy58 said. I chose the other messaging app and sure enough, the personalized message tones do work now. Too bad in a way. The other app was much more pleasant to look at. It was the Verizon messaging app. The one that works is the Samsung messaging app
    11-18-2014 06:41 PM
    Thank you for that response. I did change to the 2nd message app and now the personalized contacts work; just as you said. The 2nd message app is by Samsung. The 1st one that does not allow personalized message tones was from Verizon. I liked the looks of the Verizon one much better but, since I want the personalized tones to distinguish that my family is calling, I will stay with the Samsung message app. It actually is the exact same one I had on my Galaxy S3.
    11-18-2014 06:44 PM
    LGDLMAN

I also want to change my message tones using my own. I haven't found a way to add anything to the existing list of whistles, bells, chirps etc. I don't want to use those. I want to use my own. I connected my phone to my computer and went through every file that comes up and I can't even find a folder that those noises are in. I can change the ringtones but I like it when I have a different sound for certain people via text message.
    Please help!
    11-28-2014 05:14 PM
    I clicked on the 3 dots and then on customize conversation. I do not have an option for tones. I only have change background color, change bubble colors & order and reset to default. No other listings
    11-28-2014 05:22 PM
    I don't seem to have a Message+ app with my Verizon Note 3 KitKat phone.

Edit: I see it is a Verizon app where they store everything on their server and sell your information while the standard one has a bug or is not fully compatible with Contacts.
    11-29-2014 08:06 AM
    No matter what I do, my phone doesn't seem to be able to use individualized text sounds. I used Zedge to download them and they are in my notifications section. I can go to an individual contact, edit it, select add field, select messaging, and it all looks perfect like it will work. But... in the end it continues to use the single message sound for everyone. Anyone know how to fix this?
    11-30-2014 01:08 PM
147 12345 ...