custom ringtone for text message, how? (samsung galaxy s5)

smuggims

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to make it where the text msg notification silences when you touch the power button or something like that after setting a custom ringtone? It goes through the entire length of the ringtone and you can't change the volume even on the s5 and s4. The only way I've found to silence it is to drag down the top screen and that is very inconvenient if the phone is locked.

Thanks.

DeltaGal65

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Your suggestion worked! Thanks - but for the novice a more detailed step by step process might be needed so here it is. 1) go to APPS 2) go to "my files" click on "Device Storage" 3) go to "ringtones" (or where you stored the download) 4) click on the three little dots in the top right hand corner to open up the menu option 5) click on "select" 6) tap on the file you want to move or copy (if you move the file won't show up on your ringtone side ... so "copy" is a better option 7) click on "device storage" (please note from here you can also throw things to an SD Card if you have one installed) 8) find the folder "notifications" click,. 9) click on the top right hand corner where it says "move here". Now - go back to "Settings". Then "notifications". Scroll to you find your choice. Click and done. :) PS If you want to customize message notification, you can scroll down to that option, click and follow the screen prompts.

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
We receive texts from servers in distress. However, they don't come from another phone number, they come from an E-Mail sent to the Verizon gateway. E.G. “5551234567 at vtext dot com.” They are received as by the phone as text messages with a From as "name at domain name dot com". Is there a way to assign a separate ring tone to those messages?

awindy58

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: custom tone for text message, how? (samsung galaxy s5)

Ok I see the option for setting a personalized sound in the contracts but when I set that it says the sound is set, but it plays the standard sound set for the phone. Any ideas?

awindy58

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

I figured it out. There are 2 message services on this phone (message+) :red with message bubbles in it. and (messages) a white envelope with a yellow letterhead sticking out. click the message icon and it asks if you would like to make that your default messager. Click yes and now you're personalized contacts will work.

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

I figured it out. There are 2 message services on this phone (message+) :red with message bubbles in it. and (messages) a white envelope with a yellow letterhead sticking out. click the message icon and it asks if you would like to make that your default messager. Click yes and now you're personalized contacts will work.
I will give that a try.

Thank you for replying!

jeantwin

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
As explained earlier, you edit the contact, click "Add another field", notification is right there.

Posted via Android Central App

I did just as you suggested. I clicked to edit a contact. I scrolled down to "add another field" and chose "message tone". I chose "whistle" for the tone, clicked "ok" and then save". The contact's screen shows that now the message tone is Whistle. But, when that contact texted me, the tone was not the Whistle. It was the default tone. I was trying to use the Whistle for all contacts who are family members so that tone would be distinctive to me. But, that just is not working. I had it working on the Galaxy S3 just fine. I am confused as to why it appears the change was made but, in actuality, it does not work. Has anyone come up with another way to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

jeantwin

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I tried what awindy58 said. I chose the other messaging app and sure enough, the personalized message tones do work now. Too bad in a way. The other app was much more pleasant to look at. It was the Verizon messaging app. The one that works is the Samsung messaging app

jeantwin

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for that response. I did change to the 2nd message app and now the personalized contacts work; just as you said. The 2nd message app is by Samsung. The 1st one that does not allow personalized message tones was from Verizon. I liked the looks of the Verizon one much better but, since I want the personalized tones to distinguish that my family is calling, I will stay with the Samsung message app. It actually is the exact same one I had on my Galaxy S3.

Debbie Rogers

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
LGDLMAN

I also want to change my message tones using my own. I haven't found a way to add anything to the existing list of whistles, bells, chirps etc. I don't want to use those. I want to use my own. I connected my phone to my computer and went through every file that comes up and I can't even find a folder that those noises are in. I can change the ringtones but I like it when I have a different sound for certain people via text message.
Please help!

Debbie Rogers

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I clicked on the 3 dots and then on customize conversation. I do not have an option for tones. I only have change background color, change bubble colors & order and reset to default. No other listings :(

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't seem to have a Message+ app with my Verizon Note 3 KitKat phone.

Edit: I see it is a Verizon app where they store everything on their server and sell your information while the standard one has a bug or is not fully compatible with Contacts.

Last edited:

calico_jack31

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Samsung galaxy s5 individualized text sounds

No matter what I do, my phone doesn't seem to be able to use individualized text sounds. I used Zedge to download them and they are in my notifications section. I can go to an individual contact, edit it, select add field, select messaging, and it all looks perfect like it will work. But... in the end it continues to use the single message sound for everyone. Anyone know how to fix this?

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy s5 individualized text sounds

No matter what I do, my phone doesn't seem to be able to use individualized text sounds. I used Zedge to download them and they are in my notifications section. I can go to an individual contact, edit it, select add field, select messaging, and it all looks perfect like it will work. But... in the end it continues to use the single message sound for everyone. Anyone know how to fix this?
This is more common than not, and it is not peculiar to the S5. I have a Note 3, others have S4s, and they have the same problem. I've seen posts of people changing to Message+, and it fixes the problem. I've seen other posts there people change from Message+ to Messages and it fixes their problem. Some do factory resets and it doesn't help. If I figure out, I will post what I found.

Last edited:

pattyb74

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
If you are anything like me.. You like music.. You want a tone for sms as well as A phone call. So you know whether or not you want to grab the phone without looking at it.
Well, you basically have to write a file for the music on your phone.. But once its done the options are endless.. Good Luck, and have fun

1. Open My Files application
2. Under Local Storage, open the Device Storage option
3. Browse the audio file, long press on it, tap the 3dot icon, and select the Copy option
4. under Device Storage, find the "Notifications" folder, open it, and Paste the copied audio file
5. Now, open the Messages application
6. Tap the 3dot icon and Settings after that
7. Tap the Notifications option, and then the Notification Sound.
8. On the opened list, you should now see the name of your audio file, and you just need to select it.

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy s5 individualized text sounds

If I figure out, I will post what I found.
I have figured out my issues, but more importantly I am figuring out how things work. This issue is not specific to any particular Samsung phone or Android version.

Samsung Messages app and requirements

- The Messages app is the default Samsung messaging app. It is designed to work with the default Samsung Contacts app, which has the ability to define a "Message tone"(S5) or "Message alert"(Note 3) by contact. The property may already display in Contacts, or you may have to press a button in Contacts to add the field. Then simply specify the alert/tone you want.
- The contact must be a DEVICE Contact. For example, in my case I use Akrutosync to sync my Outlook with my phone. This requires setting up an Active Sync. Outlook and the phone sync perfectly, however any contact synced like this will only play the default Message tone/Message alert. If you go into the contact, and look at the Connection property, it will show Microsoft Exchange Active Sync. In order for it work work, it must say Device.
- The contact must have a phone number, and that number must be the source of the incoming message. For myself in the IT industry, it is commonplace to have server monitors send a text message via ###-###-####@vtext.com from an e-mail address. We want a different tone/alert for a server down than normal texts. The messages will show as coming from the proper contact, but it will only trigger the default Message tone/Message alert. Samsung said it shouldn't work that way, but I don't have a work-around for the problem.

Verizon Messages+ app and requirements
- Verizon Messages+ app is the default messaging app for Verizon phones. Messages+ can use Verizon's cloud if desired and your account supports it. That makes it simpler to create and respond to text messages for a specific phone number from multiple devices, including computers and tablets. It also means Verizon has access to your personal correspondence. However, even as a local application, It has built-in functionality to record an MMS message, send postcards, pictures from storage or camera, add captions to pictures, markup pictures, make collages, send your location with the click of a button, activate Glympse so people can follow you or link up with you, send someone a contact, send an MP3 or WAV file. It makes the normally complex tasks easy. However, if all you really do is text, the Samsung Messages app is nicer and handier for that.
- Messages+ is designed to work with the default Samsung Contacts app, but DOES NOT USE the "Message tone"(S5) / "Message alert"(Note 3) property in Contacts.
- There is no way to do a contact-specific tone/alert in Message+. The best you can do is a conversation-specific tone/alert, and never delete the entire conversation. To do a conversation-specific tone/alert, at the top left next to the contact's picture, there are 3 horizontal lines. Flick those to the right to open a new window. Scroll to "Customize conversation", and then select Tones where you can select your tone for the conversation. Of course if you ever delete the conversation, the tone you set up will be lost also, and the next time you receive a message from the same contact, you will receive the default tone/alert. Message+ does not make use of the Message alert/tone set up in Contacts.

Note: Even when a 3rd party messaging app is set up correctly, you may still get the default tone. You may need to go to the main settings menu, pick 'Sound' then scroll down to 'Messages' under Samsung applications and turn that off.

Let me know if this helps you with your situation.

Last edited:

Ahartman

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
The big problem is, and no one is really explaining, is that if you are using message plus instead of message (the standard version), there is a different fix. On your contact in (a person, not a group) message plus screen, at the very top left next to the person's picture are three tiny dots. Flick those to the right and a new window will open. scroll down(up?) and you can see "customize conversation". Click on tones and you can add any custom tone you want to make your text notification different than any other contact. So, if I want to give "tom A" a star wars text notification, I would swipe the three lines next to his pic to the right, scroll to customize, click tones and set whatever tone or song I wanted. Simple, just hard to find those tiny little lines.

I made this account just to say THANK YOU! This worked! I'm guessing the problem lies in there actually being 2 messaging apps on this phone, and they need to be programmed 2 separate ways. I am using message+, and setting custom notifications from the contact screen did not work.

Umbradeus

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Similar question, different spin...

Thank you all for posting; I've read some very helpful tips and information.

I didn't have any problems getting/assigning specific tones. (Unfortunately, I get both the individual message tone and general tone played simultaneously) :( My biggest problem is that I am now at a loss as to how to remove a contact-specific message tone. I can't find an option in Contacts to remove that field and when I click on it, it automatically takes me to My Files which requires me to make a selection. Normally, I would choose a sound from one of my folders but I want to remove the currently assigned sound so there is no individualized message sound for that contact. "Silent" or the like, is not an option.

How do you remove a Contact's Message Tone? ...or Ringtone for that matter? (without deleting the contact and creating a new profile)

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835