03-28-2018 02:51 AM
147 ... 23456
tools
    No matter what I do, my phone doesn't seem to be able to use individualized text sounds. I used Zedge to download them and they are in my notifications section. I can go to an individual contact, edit it, select add field, select messaging, and it all looks perfect like it will work. But... in the end it continues to use the single message sound for everyone. Anyone know how to fix this?
    This is more common than not, and it is not peculiar to the S5. I have a Note 3, others have S4s, and they have the same problem. I've seen posts of people changing to Message+, and it fixes the problem. I've seen other posts there people change from Message+ to Messages and it fixes their problem. Some do factory resets and it doesn't help. If I figure out, I will post what I found.
    12-01-2014 11:21 AM
    If you are anything like me.. You like music.. You want a tone for sms as well as A phone call. So you know whether or not you want to grab the phone without looking at it.
    Well, you basically have to write a file for the music on your phone.. But once its done the options are endless.. Good Luck, and have fun

1. Open My Files application
    2. Under Local Storage, open the Device Storage option
    3. Browse the audio file, long press on it, tap the 3dot icon, and select the Copy option
    4. under Device Storage, find the "Notifications" folder, open it, and Paste the copied audio file
    5. Now, open the Messages application
    6. Tap the 3dot icon and Settings after that
    7. Tap the Notifications option, and then the Notification Sound.
    8. On the opened list, you should now see the name of your audio file, and you just need to select it.
    12-02-2014 04:53 PM
    If I figure out, I will post what I found.
    I have figured out my issues, but more importantly I am figuring out how things work. This issue is not specific to any particular Samsung phone or Android version.

Samsung Messages app and requirements

- The Messages app is the default Samsung messaging app. It is designed to work with the default Samsung Contacts app, which has the ability to define a "Message tone"(S5) or "Message alert"(Note 3) by contact. The property may already display in Contacts, or you may have to press a button in Contacts to add the field. Then simply specify the alert/tone you want.
    - The contact must be a DEVICE Contact. For example, in my case I use Akrutosync to sync my Outlook with my phone. This requires setting up an Active Sync. Outlook and the phone sync perfectly, however any contact synced like this will only play the default Message tone/Message alert. If you go into the contact, and look at the Connection property, it will show Microsoft Exchange Active Sync. In order for it work work, it must say Device.
    - The contact must have a phone number, and that number must be the source of the incoming message. For myself in the IT industry, it is commonplace to have server monitors send a text message via ###-###-####@vtext.com from an e-mail address. We want a different tone/alert for a server down than normal texts. The messages will show as coming from the proper contact, but it will only trigger the default Message tone/Message alert. Samsung said it shouldn't work that way, but I don't have a work-around for the problem.

Verizon Messages+ app and requirements
    - Verizon Messages+ app is the default messaging app for Verizon phones. Messages+ can use Verizon's cloud if desired and your account supports it. That makes it simpler to create and respond to text messages for a specific phone number from multiple devices, including computers and tablets. It also means Verizon has access to your personal correspondence. However, even as a local application, It has built-in functionality to record an MMS message, send postcards, pictures from storage or camera, add captions to pictures, markup pictures, make collages, send your location with the click of a button, activate Glympse so people can follow you or link up with you, send someone a contact, send an MP3 or WAV file. It makes the normally complex tasks easy. However, if all you really do is text, the Samsung Messages app is nicer and handier for that.
    - Messages+ is designed to work with the default Samsung Contacts app, but DOES NOT USE the "Message tone"(S5) / "Message alert"(Note 3) property in Contacts.
    - There is no way to do a contact-specific tone/alert in Message+. The best you can do is a conversation-specific tone/alert, and never delete the entire conversation. To do a conversation-specific tone/alert, at the top left next to the contact's picture, there are 3 horizontal lines. Flick those to the right to open a new window. Scroll to "Customize conversation", and then select Tones where you can select your tone for the conversation. Of course if you ever delete the conversation, the tone you set up will be lost also, and the next time you receive a message from the same contact, you will receive the default tone/alert. Message+ does not make use of the Message alert/tone set up in Contacts.

Note: Even when a 3rd party messaging app is set up correctly, you may still get the default tone. You may need to go to the main settings menu, pick 'Sound' then scroll down to 'Messages' under Samsung applications and turn that off.

Let me know if this helps you with your situation.
    12-02-2014 06:23 PM
    The big problem is, and no one is really explaining, is that if you are using message plus instead of message (the standard version), there is a different fix. On your contact in (a person, not a group) message plus screen, at the very top left next to the person's picture are three tiny dots. Flick those to the right and a new window will open. scroll down(up?) and you can see "customize conversation". Click on tones and you can add any custom tone you want to make your text notification different than any other contact. So, if I want to give "tom A" a star wars text notification, I would swipe the three lines next to his pic to the right, scroll to customize, click tones and set whatever tone or song I wanted. Simple, just hard to find those tiny little lines.
    I made this account just to say THANK YOU! This worked! I'm guessing the problem lies in there actually being 2 messaging apps on this phone, and they need to be programmed 2 separate ways. I am using message+, and setting custom notifications from the contact screen did not work.
    12-03-2014 12:53 AM
    Thank you all for posting; I've read some very helpful tips and information.

I didn't have any problems getting/assigning specific tones. (Unfortunately, I get both the individual message tone and general tone played simultaneously) My biggest problem is that I am now at a loss as to how to remove a contact-specific message tone. I can't find an option in Contacts to remove that field and when I click on it, it automatically takes me to My Files which requires me to make a selection. Normally, I would choose a sound from one of my folders but I want to remove the currently assigned sound so there is no individualized message sound for that contact. "Silent" or the like, is not an option.

How do you remove a Contact's Message Tone? ...or Ringtone for that matter? (without deleting the contact and creating a new profile)

Thank you.
    12-05-2014 11:17 AM
    Easy peasy. Go in and re-edit your contact. Select the field of the ringtone you want to remove, it will pull up the list of ringtones, scroll to the top and pick "Default Ringtone" or whatever it says. Then save contact. Done.
    12-05-2014 11:25 AM
    I did this and it still does not work. All of my text messages are coming in with the default message tone and I am using the Samsung message app.Any advice?
    12-10-2014 09:52 AM
    I did this and it still does not work. All of my text messages are coming in with the default message tone and I am using the Samsung message app.Any advice?
    Please go through what I wrote above, especially the areas on red.
    12-11-2014 08:43 AM
    You can use the My Files app to find the file in your ringtones folder (under device storage) and then copy it to your notifications folder. Hope that's what you were looking for.

Posted via Android Central App
    now that worked!!
    12-24-2014 08:12 AM
    I did EXACTLY what you said. Similar concept to how you do it with the S3. but it's not working on my S5. Do i need to restart my phone?
    01-13-2015 01:40 PM
    I have tried every single suggestion listed here. I moved the file to the notification folder via the My Files application. I have gone to settings-sounds-notification-and my tone is not listed. I have gone to the settings in the messages app, gone to notification, notifixation tone, and again my tone is not listed. This is not a case of me not following directions, it just doesn't work on my galaxy s5. I will try the Zedge app and post aga in if it works. So far I'm unimpressed with the s5.
    zhudm66 likes this.
    01-22-2015 08:34 PM
    By using the Zedge app, I discovered the error. I didn't see it on the previous posts, so if this isn't working for your S5, you need to convert your file to mp3, m4a, or ogg. I haven't found any other format that works yet. How this helps.
    01-22-2015 08:43 PM
    Very helpful postings, but still an issue, I tried to customized text tones by using the ones in my SD card, however when I do the process of copying them and pasting them into Device Storage, nothing gets transfer..... is there any setting I need to adjust...
    Sorry this is my 1st Samsung.... Thank you...
    02-09-2015 01:35 PM
  14. Allen Giovanni Castillo Alvarez's Avatar
    Just copy your custom ringtone file into the notifications folder on your device and it will show up in the list for you to select.

Posted via Android Central App
    Excelent reply the copy to notifications folder works
    02-15-2015 12:37 AM
    Thank you!!!!
    03-11-2015 04:03 PM
    thank you
    03-29-2015 05:39 PM
    Click on your Contact List. Pick a Contact. Touch the Pencil icon to Edit the Contact. Scroll down to "Add Another Field" & Pick Message Tone and pick Ok. Now you are back on Edit Contact page, pick Message Tone and pick what ringtone you want for that contact. Pick Ok. Click Save to save the edit. Now that contact will have their own unique messaging tone when you get a text from them that is separate from the regular text tone you set for everyone. Easy Peasy.
    This does not work, I have set my ringtone/message tone in my contact for a personal contact, they are in there set yet the phones default is the one that overrides all i have set.
    04-14-2015 10:37 PM
    The big problem is, and no one is really explaining, is that if you are using message plus instead of message (the standard version), there is a different fix. On your contact in (a person, not a group) message plus screen, at the very top left next to the person's picture are three tiny dots. Flick those to the right and a new window will open. scroll down(up?) and you can see "customize conversation". Click on tones and you can add any custom tone you want to make your text notification different than any other contact. So, if I want to give "tom A" a star wars text notification, I would swipe the three lines next to his pic to the right, scroll to customize, click tones and set whatever tone or song I wanted. Simple, just hard to find those tiny little lines.
    yes i do have Message+ however this suggestion here, you state "On your contact in (a person, not a group) message plus screen,", what screen? it loads conversations not a screen and the dots in it there is no "customize conversation". I have set my ringtone/message tone and they are showing in the contacts list however, when she calls or text, the phones ringtones play and overrides what i have set.
    04-14-2015 10:49 PM
    This does not work, I have set my ringtone/message tone in my contact for a personal contact, they are in there set yet the phones default is the one that overrides all i have set.
    You are mistaken. Yes it does work. Stop using Message+. It sucks anyway. You should just be using Messages.
    04-15-2015 07:11 PM
    I also work in IT and need a way to customize the message tone for server alerts coming from email addresses. Since it seems that there is no way to do it with the existing messaging apps discussed here, I bit the bullet and solved my problem by setting the default notification tone to the sound I wanted for the server alerts and reset all of the message tones to a custom value for my other contacts that came from phone numbers. Pain in my ***? Yes. Did it give me the behavior I wanted? Mostly.
    04-22-2015 01:40 PM
    Go to your app store and get the EASY MP3 DOWNLOADER then type the song/artist you want in the search bar then click DOWNLOAD on the song you want then click CHANGE , click the arrow at the top left of the screen, then scroll down and click MEDIA then select AUDIO, then select NOTIFICATIONS then click OK at the bottom right of the screen. Then go to the contact that you wanna assign the ring tone to and click edit then scroll down and select MESSAGE TONE (or ADD A FEILD if you dont see message tone & select message tone)then SAVE then click on MESSAGE TONE and select the COMPLETE ACTION USING MEDIA STORAGE option and the song will appear at the top of that list.
    04-25-2015 11:55 AM
    The song WILL NOT APPEAR UNTIL IT COMPLETELY DOWNLOADS
    04-25-2015 12:03 PM
    I would like to set up a customized individual ringtone when I get a text message for Facebook notifications on the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 5.0.1. I have done it for Twitter, and for individual contacts. I recently had the phone updated and was able to do this before. Whenever I get a Facebook message, I get a text message that has the same notification as my default text message notification. I want to continue receiving text message notifications, but using a custom one for Facebook.
    05-05-2015 08:29 PM
    Fab!! thanks bunches
    05-11-2015 11:54 AM
    I have taken the steps to add a different message tone to a contact and it still comes through as the default.
    05-12-2015 06:42 AM
147 ... 23456