custom ringtone for text message, how? (samsung galaxy s5)

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So you need to manually change the ringtone for each individual contact?

No, you can apply a ringtone globally that will work for all contacts or you can set individual ringtones for any or every contact as you choose - same with text notification sounds.

Melissa Reagan

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I am having exactly the same problem, and people respond and tell me I'm stupid or whatever, but no matter what I do, I cannot get individual text notifcation sounds, only ringtones. I also have Verizon. I have added the message tone field and the tone, which is different from everyone else's, but it does not work. the ringtone for this contact is also different, but it works fine.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having exactly the same problem, and people respond and tell me I'm stupid or whatever, but no matter what I do, I cannot get individual text notifcation sounds, only ringtones. I also have Verizon. I have added the message tone field and the tone, which is different from everyone else's, but it does not work. the ringtone for this contact is also different, but it works fine.

What app are you using? I can get contact text tones to work fine with the stock Samsung messaging app, but if I switch to anything else, I really like Messages+, I can only get it to play the default custom tone I set up. None of my contact tones will play. I started a separate thread on this topic.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ges-text-tone-issue-custom-contact-tones.html

Melissa Reagan

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Someone has posted that you have to use the stock message app to make it work, so I switched and it did work. It will not work with message + no matter what I do.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Someone has posted that you have to use the stock message app to make it work, so I switched and it did work. It will not work with message + no matter what I do.

That is so unreal. Samsung made it so you can't use contact tones unless you use their messages app? Wow....... Fail.......

vtrvrgal

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Here is how I did it. Go into your contacts. Choose the contact that you want a custom message tone. Edit that contact. At the bottom choose to add additional fields. You can choose to add message ringtone there. When you save from there, you will have that option to change the ringtone. save the contact and you are done.

This did not work on my phone (LG Optimus Fuel) when I choose to add additional fields this is what it gives me: Organization, IM, Notes, Nickname, Website, Events, and Relationship. There is only a "ringtone" space on each contact. And now I have no idea what I have done, but when I go to settings, sound, my ringtone and notification is greyed out and I can't even change them anymore! This is my first "smart" phone and it sure is making me feel stupid. I use zedge as well and I went into notification and grabbed one I liked and thought it would set it as a notification and it set it a ringtone. Help!!

vtrvrgal

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Click on your Contact List. Pick a Contact. Touch the Pencil icon to Edit the Contact. Scroll down to "Add Another Field" & Pick Message Tone and pick Ok. Now you are back on Edit Contact page, pick Message Tone and pick what ringtone you want for that contact. Pick Ok. Click Save to save the edit. Now that contact will have their own unique messaging tone when you get a text from them that is separate from the regular text tone you set for everyone. Easy Peasy.
This does not work with my phone, I have a LG Optimus Fuel and when I am in edit mode on a contact and scroll down I see the Add Another Field but it does not give me the "message tone" option, I get these options: Organization, IM, Notes, Nickname, Website, Events, and Relationship. Any idea why? This is my first smartphone so I'm kinda lost - thanks

Karinna Mestas

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Click on your Contact List. Pick a Contact. Touch the Pencil icon to Edit the Contact. Scroll down to "Add Another Field" & Pick Message Tone and pick Ok. Now you are back on Edit Contact page, pick Message Tone and pick what ringtone you want for that contact. Pick Ok. Click Save to save the edit. Now that contact will have their own unique messaging tone when you get a text from them that is separate from the regular text tone you set for everyone. Easy Peasy.

Okay I tried going to edit contact and I don't see an add field. Am I missing something?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Here is how I did it. Go into your contacts. Choose the contact that you want a custom message tone. Edit that contact. At the bottom choose to add additional fields. You can choose to add message ringtone there. When you save from there, you will have that option to change the ringtone. save the contact and you are done.

I've had my s5 for about a week & I hadn't found anyway to do this!! Thank You so very much!!

R Ch

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
This is what I did to customize gmail notifications.
Open gmail - click on the 3 bars on upper left beside inbox -
select settings (towards the bottom)
select your email address -
select inbox sound & vibrate -
select sound and choose whatever tone or mp3 you want.
This can be different from the general text notification sound you already have on the general phone settings.

Tamafly

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
This was so helpful. I did what cyberdman said and his method worked. I have been trying for months to change just the messaging tone and nothing worked. Thank you so much cyberdman!

Melissa Reagan

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
The big problem is, and no one is really explaining, is that if you are using message plus instead of message (the standard version), there is a different fix. On your contact in (a person, not a group) message plus screen, at the very top left next to the person's picture are three tiny dots. Flick those to the right and a new window will open. scroll down(up?) and you can see "customize conversation". Click on tones and you can add any custom tone you want to make your text notification different than any other contact. So, if I want to give "tom A" a star wars text notification, I would swipe the three lines next to his pic to the right, scroll to customize, click tones and set whatever tone or song I wanted. Simple, just hard to find those tiny little lines.

Chris Alderson

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Just copy your custom ringtone file into the notifications folder on your device and it will show up in the list for you to select.

Posted via Android Central App
This worked like a charm and no messing about , go to the folder location where sound file you want to use, then tap on the options top right (3 dots)/ tap "Select"/ check the box/s for the sound file/s you want then tap options again(3 dots)/ tap "move"/ "Device" and locate "Notifications" in this folder tap "move here". job done now go to setting/ sound/ notifications and you find you sound file/s and this will work no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy