Upgrade from Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S5?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Now that the S5's been out for a few weeks, what are your thoughts on upgrading from the S3? Is the S5 my best option, or is there an equal/better option? I'm with Sprint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Upgrade from S3 to the S5??

The screen is awesome. The Touch Wiz will take some getting used to. But overall you will enjoy this phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

The best smartphones available from Sprint in no particular order are the S5, Note 3, HTC M8, LG G2 and Moto X. Which one is best depends on the specs and features you want.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I would definitely upgrade to the S5. Since your coming from the S3 you will very impressed with the specs and the display is just awesome. If you were upgrading from the S4 I would kinda be sitting on the fence. I know many people are disappointed that the design of the S5 falls in line with past Galaxy S devices.

mc_gusto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

With sprint you will gain more lte bands if your market supports it. But you will lose svlte, simultaneous voice and lte.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm currently buying a new battery for my S3 to extend the life of this great device till the Note 4 comes out or maybe even next year. Glad I have that option! :)

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the replies.
mc_gusto, I'm not aware of what svite is. Can you explain that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

I upgraded from the s3 to the s5 and it is night and day better. Better battery, speed, feel, etc. I highly recommend it.

I was debating between the s5 and the note 3, but I decided to go with the s5 and I'll possibly upgrade to the note 4.

Either way, both are better than the s3 right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SuburbanStar

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

I upgraded from the S3 to the S5 last week on Verizon and I think it was the best choice I could have made. The S5 has a ton of upgrades and works really well. You will be really impressed with it!!

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Night and day bewteen the S3 and S5 OP - what are you waiting for? :D

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now... I was just able to get Sprint to correct my upgrade date - they had me with a June 2015 date for some reason.

Is there a quick way to be sure I've got everything off the S3 and ready to go to the S5? I'm pretty sure all of my Contacts and my Calendar data are tied to Google - is there some way to be sure BEFORE switching phones??

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now... I was just able to get Sprint to correct my upgrade date - they had me with a June 2015 date for some reason.

Is there a quick way to be sure I've got everything off the S3 and ready to go to the S5? I'm pretty sure all of my Contacts and my Calendar data are tied to Google - is there some way to be sure BEFORE switching phones??

Your contacts and calender (if you use the Google version) will sync back with the new device. I never worry about text messages but ensure the pics stored on the camera (if any) are moved to your SD card, if you're using one.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Your contacts and calender (if you use the Google version) will sync back with the new device. I never worry about text messages but ensure the pics stored on the camera (if any) are moved to your SD card, if you're using one.

Can I get the pictures moved without much trouble? Can it be done right on the phone, or do I need to connect to the PC to get that done?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Can I get the pictures moved without much trouble? Can it be done right on the phone, or do I need to connect to the PC to get that done?

Easier to connect to the computer. Then you can check all the files and such and make sure you have everything you need to save.

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Now that the S5's been out for a few weeks, what are your thoughts on upgrading from the S3? Is the S5 my best option, or is there an equal/better option? I'm with Sprint.

Do not upgrade If your with sprint!! I did and you no longer get lte, 3g service only!! To make a long story (3 day conversations with sprint) short, the new tri band phones will not stay on Lte because they cannot get phones calls and text messages on lte. They told me to use 3g or WiFi only. I told them see you later and went to At&t. ..

Posted via Android Central App

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

The problem you will run into with Sprint is, you will not be able to talk and surf the web at the same time like you can with the S3. This problem is with Sprint, not the phone, as they are the only carrier to do this.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The problem you will run into with Sprint is, you will not be able to talk and surf the web at the same time like you can with the S3. This problem is with Sprint, not the phone, as they are the only carrier to do this.

Wow. Now I'm really glad I switched to Verizon when I got the S5. So far, that $100 ETF was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So, if I don't talk and surf at the same time, I'll be OK as far at using LTE? I'm trying to think of how often I have surfed and talked at the same time...

Is this something Sprint can change on the S5 in the future?

Last edited:

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Definitely upgrade.

I came from the S3 to S5.

So much quicker, the 2800mah battery is better than my 3000mah extended S3 battery, screen is beautiful, 4G actually makes a lot of difference.

S3 to S4 is not really worth it
S3 to S5 definitely.

Posted via Android Central App

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
So, if I don't talk and surf at the same time, I'll be OK as far at using LTE? I'm trying to think of how often I have surfed and talked at the same time...

Is this something Sprint can change if those chose to? (They must be able to, since the S3 can be used simultaneously.) Is it only an issue with the S5? Are other phones (HTC, etc.) able to surf and talk at the same time?

I hardly ever talk on the phone and surf the web at the same time. If you wanted to I would think an app like talkatone would work if you wanted to both at the same time.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app