is there a unlocked version of the S5

Rockdwg

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
just curious if there is a unlocked version yet and is it worth it for all the issues people seem to be having? I am looking for a newer phone to use on Straight Talk in the U.S.

if any info on this phone or any other that would be good with straight talk please let me know.

current phone is a Verizon S4

thanks

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You can pay a company to sell you the unlock code for a specific device. Just Google it.

just curious if there is a unlocked version yet and is it worth it for all the issues people seem to be having? I am looking for a newer phone to use on Straight Talk in the U.S.

if any info on this phone or any other that would be good with straight talk please let me know.

current phone is a Verizon S4

thanks

etaiso

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, there is. But be aware that some devices have region lock, and to unlock you first must to make a call of 5 minutes in the same region that it locked to.
Anyway you can get a code to unlock it online (not free, of course).

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 should be factory sim unlocked.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Rockdwg

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I was told by Straight talk that if it is company branded ( at&t, Verizon, sprint) that it would not work with straight talk that's why I asked for a unlocked. not sure there is any way to get my current Verizon S4 unlocked to work with another company all my googling has got me is unlocking to work in other countries not carriers in the US.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was told by Straight talk that if it is company branded ( at&t, Verizon, sprint) that it would not work with straight talk that's why I asked for a unlocked. not sure there is any way to get my current Verizon S4 unlocked to work with another company all my googling has got me is unlocking to work in other countries not carriers in the US.

It should work. Just buy their sim and pop it into your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4. My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II, note 3, and s3 worked on tmobile prepaid, so no reason your s4 won't.

There are also unlocked s5 on ebay or amazon but I believe that these are international versions and may contain no USA warranty.

Rockdwg

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried the sim card byop with My galaxy s4 and my older droid razr maxx I could not either to work. all straight talk would tell me or ask me is if it is a Verizon branded phone it will not work. I was wondering though if a person try rooting it or doing a custom rom would that unlock it too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Razr maxx won't work but s4 should. Do you have the latest update? Also did you test the sim to verify that it worked in some other phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63