Not getting messages from certain iPhones

ajayc1

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
i switched from the iPhone 5s to the new s5. Some of my messages aren't going through to iPhones and some of my friends iPhones aren't sending me messages. I've turned my iMessages off already. Anyone have any other suggestions?

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
If you are getting messages from some iphones but not others, make sure those people have sms enabled as they wont be able to send texts to anyone without an iphone.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If you are getting messages from some iphones but not others, make sure those people have sms enabled as they wont be able to send texts to anyone without an iphone.

That's not true.

The problem is that Apple has hijacked your mobile number. If you were using imessage then apple still has your mobile number associated with it. But since you can no longer get imessages with an android phone messages being sent to you end up in the ether.

Some ways to fix it: turn off imessage on your iPhone before you switch. Remove the iPhone from your support profile on Apple's site. Call Apple and tell them to remove the mobile number from their system.

I have been dealing with this for weeks since I got my m8 and it still isn't entirely resolved. Apple is the devil.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
What he said isn't NOT true, but if he is having issues sending to other iPhones, then yes, his number is still associated with his Apple account. This is a known issues, that Apple for whatever reason (or on purpose) has not addressed very quickly. Now if he is having trouble only receiving messages from other iPhones, then yes, the SMS option needs to be turned on in the iMessage settings on the senders end. A recent update turned the "Send as SMS when iMessage isn't available" option off (convenient lol).

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
What he said isn't NOT true, but if he is having issues sending to other iPhones, then yes, his number is still associated with his Apple account. This is a known issues, that Apple for whatever reason (or on purpose) has not addressed very quickly. Now if he is having trouble only receiving messages from other iPhones, then yes, the SMS option needs to be turned on in the iMessage settings on the senders end. A recent update turned the "Send as SMS when iMessage isn't available" option off (convenient lol).

They changed imessage so that option is off by default? When did this happen?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
They changed imessage so that option is off by default? When did this happen?

Recently. I have dealt with this issue, and read about it on a few occasions now about people (I am almost positive after a recent update), that that option was suddenly turned off, and they don't remember it being off before.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Recently. I have dealt with this issue, and read about it on a few occasions now about people (I am almost positive after a recent update), that that option was suddenly turned off, and they don't remember it being off before.

That's crap. They really want to make it as hard as possible for people to switch, huh? I have had my m8 for two weeks and still can't get texts from anyone on an iPhone. It is really irritating.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
That's crap. They really want to make it as hard as possible for people to switch, huh? I have had my m8 for two weeks and still can't get texts from anyone on an iPhone. It is really irritating.

Your feelings are not solely yours, this has been voiced from x-Apple owners that switch. I have heard some cases of people calling Apple to get it removed and Apple has refused, or told them it would take some ridiculous amount of time to fall off the account (read anywhere from 45 days to 90 days).

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue, I just switched from iPhone 5 to the Galaxy S5. What worked for me is I sent a text to all my friends with iPhones and also posted a message on my facebook page that if they owned an iPhone to delete our text conversation otherwise I would not receive their texts because of the whole iMessage thing. Once they did this I received texts from them just fine; also other friends who were having the same issue this worked for them as well. It's the easiest thing for the iPhone folks to do instead of instructions on going to settings, messages and so on (I did try that with a friends iPhone and selecting send as text but I still did not receive them until we deleted our conversation).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ensure the problem iPhones have SMS on... Then have them delete the conversation thread they have with you and start a new one.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately no one REALLY has an answer. Ive done everything, deleted my # thru apples customer service, ive shut down imessage on all apple devices Ive had friends have the send as sms checked on. I STILLCANNOT GET TEXTS FROM CERTAIN PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEND AS SMS CHECKED. We sat the bar Friday night and he shut off imessage and text me in a group message. Went thru no issue. He turned on imessage and had send as sms checked and started a NEW group message and nada nothing comes thru so ANYONE saying this and that is speculating. No one knows when or how this will ever FULLY be resolved.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Seems to be hit and miss for some people in reading different threads, I never used iCloud so maybe that's why just deleting the conversation worked. There's another thread where a member posted the only thing that worked was giving in and getting a new phone number (apparently what and Apple support rep told them to do). That would definitely be a pain but it may be the only permanent way to solve the issue. May sound overly dramatic but because of this stupid issue I may never buy an Apple product again due to the headache it causes down the road and their disinterest in fixing the issue.

ExAppleFanboy

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just came over to the "dark side" after being a long time iPhone user.

For me to resolve the text/imessage issue I had to call Apple & have them remove my phone number from their imessage profile. Since then everything has worked fine.

Posted via Android Central App

mringo17

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have done the same thing as well, no issues since. They need to manually remove your phone number from the iMessage servers. Only took 5 minutes to do and was painless. They said it will be all set within 24hours. Was getting normal sms messages hour later.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Text stop to 48369. It's a trick a Samsung rep gave me awhile back and works well for people switching from iphone. Text goes to Apple to remove your number from imessage

Posted via Android Central App

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
So I got my text messages to work with my mom who has an iPhone by deleting our conversation and I also sent STOP to 48369 just to be safe. This weekend I sent her a text with a picture attached and she never got it. So it seems as though texts will work but if there is a pic attached she doesn't receive them. On my end it shows it went through as a MMS... Apple is really starting to bug me. Glad I switched, once my iPad dies I think I'm done with them except for ipods but that's about it.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Funny, 5 minutes after my above post I get a text message from my sister who also has an iPhone with 4 pics attached. The first one is grayed out but the other 3 show just fine.

k3lsey18

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I just called Apple and asked them to tree move my Apple account associated with my iPhone because I have switched to Android and the woman told me it would be a one time charge of $119. Obviously I told her this had to be a joke but English wasn't her first language so she didn't understand this meant I was upset so I hung up. If I can't get group messages from iphones I'm going to have to switch back.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just called Apple and asked them to tree move my Apple account associated with my iPhone because I have switched to Android and the woman told me it would be a one time charge of $119. Obviously I told her this had to be a joke but English wasn't her first language so she didn't understand this meant I was upset so I hung up. If I can't get group messages from iphones I'm going to have to switch back.
$119 just so you can receive text messages? Since when did apple become the cell phone carrier to control texting? I can see why theirs a class action lawsuit about this now

akeehn

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I received group text messages from my iPhone friends, and all of a sudden today I can't get any group texts? I've never been an iPhone user.

O:):mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar