09-07-2016 01:39 PM
26 12
tools
    Applications > Application Manager > Fingerprint > Clear data.

Turn your phone off, back on and..... voila!
    This method worked for me, thanks! I was logged in to the S5 phone but had forgotten my fingerprint backup password. Finger scans were working for screen locks but after a power cycle it always asks for the backup password if set for unlock via fingerprint scan, what a PITA! I first made sure I could connect to the phone via the Google Android Device Manager site then went to App Manager. I had to turn on SHOW SYSTEM APPS option to see the Fingerprint app in the list then got to STORAGE and delete data. I don't remember the exact sequence of events after restarting the phone but I think it asked me to scan a fingerprint then enter a new backup password and finally ise the new password to unlock the phone. NO MORE FINGERPRINT SCAN LOCK FOR ME! I've gone back to a 4-digit PIN. The @@#$!%#~ scan failed half the time anyway and after 5 failures it makes you wait 30 seconds before trying again and the backup password must be at least 6 characters. Overall, a PIN is easier even when driving, though I usually use a "screen always on" app.
    09-07-2016 01:39 PM
26 12