Playing MKV files?

RobsterRulz

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Just new to the forum and really hope someone can help me. I've just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 to a Samsung Galaxy S5. I was able to play MKV files fine on my S2 and I'm now surprised to find out that when I try to play an MKV file I get a message saying "Unable to play audio track. Unsupported audio codec"

Is there any codecs or anything I can download to fix this? I don't want to have to start converting all my videos.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Just new to the forum and really hope someone can help me. I've just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 to a Samsung Galaxy S5. I was able to play MKV files fine on my S2 and I'm now surprised to find out that when I try to play an MKV file I get a message saying "Unable to play audio track. Unsupported audio codec"

Is there any codecs or anything I can download to fix this? I don't want to have to start converting all my videos.

Have you tried installing some other media player like VLC, MX Player etc. As far as the default android media player is concerned I am pretty much it is unable to play the mkv format, just install VLC player you'll be able to play the mkv format files.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung no longer pays for the AC3 license, so they cannot be decoded by the stock player. BS Player and MX Player both have the AC3 license and will play mkv files without a problem.

Noobish Techie

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi Folks,

There is a way to play them on the native video app. It has been a long time since I installed the codec so give me a moment to find the site and i will link you the instructions and file