Purchasing no-contract GS5

jainm1234

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I am a noob when it comes to this and I am not getting a clear cut answer to my problem. My phone contract is coming to and end and I am starting to look at what's out there. At this time, I am with Sprint under my parents plan but I am planning on separating from that. I am not impressed with any of the carriers therefore I am not interested in signing another 2 year contract. I've narrowed down my phone choice to GS5 but I don't know what to look for next. Where do I purchase the phone? Which sim would work on it? Which companies would be able to provide service for this phone? Essentially a dummies guide. :p

I would be really grateful for your help. Also, please feel free to move this if I am in the wrong forum. :)

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So, I am a noob when it comes to this and I am not getting a clear cut answer to my problem. My phone contract is coming to and end and I am starting to look at what's out there. At this time, I am with Sprint under my parents plan but I am planning on separating from that. I am not impressed with any of the carriers therefore I am not interested in signing another 2 year contract. I've narrowed down my phone choice to GS5 but I don't know what to look for next. Where do I purchase the phone? Which sim would work on it? Which companies would be able to provide service for this phone? Essentially a dummies guide. :p

I would be really grateful for your help. Also, please feel free to move this if I am in the wrong forum. :)
So now that you know what phone you want, which is good, you should know that there are actually different versions of the phone. The various versions correlate to the carrier that it can be used on.

You say that you are not impressed by any of the carriers, but which carrier is strongest in your area? You will need to make sure that the S5 you purchase is designed to be used on that carrier.

Nearly all carriers will support the S5, so no worries there. Just find out which carrier you want to go with and then you can search around either on the AC Marketplace forum for someone with that carrier's S5, or perhaps Swappa. Those two online purchasing options would save you a bit of money, but of course you can go into that carrier's store and straight up buy the device without a contract (for full retail price, of course). Just know that the sales reps may put up a fight and not want to sell it to you without a contract attached, so just be prepared for that.

---

Just in general, nearly all Verizon 4G LTE devices now will be able to be used to a certain extent on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile as they are unlocked. You will have more "freedom" with one of their devices, but not all network functionality (such as LTE) will be guaranteed on any carrier BUT Verizon, and there may be other quirks that will need further research into fixing (i.e. SMS/MMS).

Last edited:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
You should pick the carrier that you want to go to first, then someone can advise you on which phone to pick.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Also note (when I last looked) some carriers charge the same data plan rate for smart phones whether you own the phone or not or have gone past the point of paying for the phone or make it difficult to get the same features or bundles

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon