I need some help with RAM

jeffieCanada

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
OK first off I'm new to android.
My device is constantly running 1.6-1.8 GM of RAM. Any suggestions to decrease this. My phone is becoming glitchy which it wasn't when I first got it.
Even after closing all open apps it might drop to 1.2GB used than right back up.

I notice things are running which aren't even enabled. Id really like some helps folks.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Running with all ram used is not anything to very concerned with. These are not BlackBerry devices where free membership was needed. Much better memory management than other platforms.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed several posts complaining of this...while as stated above, android cleans up it's own mess for the most part, but, their are a LOT of Samsung and carrier apps that seem to lurk in the background taking up resources even if they haven't been activated! I would suggest that you go into App Manager and "Turn Off" any carrier Apps and Samsung Apps that you don't actually want to use so they can't sap resources! I have seen expensive carrier nav apps accessing location services even when they have never been turned on! City ID and Your Navigator Deluxe are good examples!

Cheers

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you notice the phone is "glitchy" when using particular apps? Do you remember what apps you installed priory the phone becoming "glitchy"?

Many times apps themselves will be causing the problem, not a lack of RAM.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I posted this elsewhere but it's a good article and seems to make sense.
I have an Active Apps app and it shows the apps I don't use stop. I only use it to clear amazon cloud player because it doesn't stop and I only use ACP on my commute to work.

Regarding RAM Please read the below article for a better explanation.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

I found it interesting.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I worried about it too when I was new to android.

The article is true just let go and enjoy your new toy.

SHIFT_pro s5

jeffieCanada

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your feedback.
And the glitchyness goes away after I reset the phone. If I have it on for 4-5 days without resetting it it becomes glitchy when switching between apps and the lock window. I'm using the native lock screen but I'm using nova launcher

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not familiar with android, coming from an iphone, I notice if memory is cleared and ram usage is low, it seems to load faster and work more efficient. Less ram usage = more battery life.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not familiar with android, coming from an iphone, I notice if memory is cleared and ram usage is low, it seems to load faster and work more efficient. Less ram usage = more battery life.

Maybe it depends what apps your using?
What seems to be using most ram on your phone?