05-14-2018 11:34 AM
108 1234 ...
tools
    same thing is happening to me with Bell in British Columbia. I was told by a Bell rep to back up then restore... did that and its still messed up. dropping wifi every 30 sec. Pretty livid. now my phone is not the same as it was AT ALL. PISSED
    I'm in BC on Bell too and this has been happening to me for a few days. My wifi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every 15 seconds on both my home and work networks. It's obviously either a phone or carrier issue and it's driving me insane!!! I've googled everything extensively and I cannot find a fix for this. I'm at my wit's end.
    02-01-2015 01:14 PM
    I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
    I'm on AT&T with my S5.
    Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.
    I was having the same issue with WiFi disconnecting quite frequently and as soon as I un-ticked this "Smart Network Switch" option, under WiFi in settings, everything has been great and I am no longer being disconnected.
    02-01-2015 03:16 PM
    this was happening to me too. within the last week or 2. i am trying to backup everything and restart with factory settings. if that doesn't work then back to bell and have them fix it.
    02-03-2015 01:08 PM
    I had the same problem,every 30 seconds signal was dropping. I turned off 'Smart Network Switch' now my wifi signal is great
    02-04-2015 03:32 AM
    Got it
    under Settings --> Quick Settings --> Wi-Fi you will find a check box option named "Smart network switch", untick it, this should take care of the problem
    it seems to be a new feature because it just happened recently (I am on Fido AB, Canada)
    My battery used to drain quickly and it showed that "Android System" is the main power consumer
    I also noticed this network registration on and off whenever I arrive on campus where they have a huge grid of WiFi.
    maxburn and SlackBlade like this.
    02-04-2015 03:17 PM
    I just had ATT come out to the house and change all of my phone wiring just to make sure that there was nothing wrong with my signal that could cause my brand new S5 to keep dropping calls. The techs thing that the Jr. High School across the street has a "seek and destroy" program that looks for unauthorized wifi signals and terminates them. They have similar problems with people who live close to the school. Maybe you also live close to a school or other institution that is interrupting your rogue wifi signal. Just an idea ... if anyone else has heard about this, do you know how to defeat it?
    It's Illegal, there was a case somewhat recently with a hotel chain doing it and they got a big fine. I know some of the newer schools have this tech as we deal with a couple, fortunately they don't make a habit out of it, they only kick out trouble makers. That was before the case recently, if they are smart they won't be doing that anymore.

Got it
    under Settings --> Quick Settings --> Wi-Fi you will find a check box option named "Smart network switch", untick it, this should take care of the problem
    it seems to be a new feature because it just happened recently (I am on Fido AB, Canada)
    My battery used to drain quickly and it showed that "Android System" is the main power consumer
    I also noticed this network registration on and off whenever I arrive on campus where they have a huge grid of WiFi.
    Ironically this seemed to help my phone too, thanks.
    02-05-2015 12:02 PM
    Mine started doing this yesterday on both work and home wifi. I did this at home today and so far it's working well. Hope this helps.
    youtube.com/watch?v=v2DFzr66x-0
    02-05-2015 01:10 PM
    I turned off the smart network switch thing and like magic, it works fine now.. Boy was that a simple fix that was driving me crazy
    I'm on Verizon and just upgraded to Lollipop it that makes any diff
    02-05-2015 02:20 PM
    Thank you for your tips! I have solved the problem!!!
    02-05-2015 06:57 PM
    I just started having this problem last night, also driving me bananas. I just switched the smart network thing. How it works!

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-05-2015 07:05 PM
    "Up-voting for visibility"... After never having problems with wifi I got home and I kept losing connection to wifi. Well, I un-clicked the "smart network switch" and voila. Problem solved. Just wanted to let you all know that this worked for me. Thanks to all those who posted before me. So infuriating.
    02-05-2015 07:15 PM
    I've had the same problem just recently. The switch was always on before and never caused problems. We shouldn't have to turn off a feature to make our phones work again. This is not a solution it's just a work around for a problem that no one seems to have any idea why it started or how to fix it. Typical. Spent all night trying to fix my brand new S5 and I still have no idea what causes it or if anyone will do anything to fix it.
    02-06-2015 06:02 AM
    I am so frustrated, my S5 keeps dropping WiFi. I have Tmobile but I know its not them, its the phone. My whole family has Tmobile yet I am the only one with a Samsung Galaxy S5 and my phone is the only one dropping WiFi. Ugh! Help!
    02-06-2015 08:32 AM
    I was having the same issue with WiFi disconnecting quite frequently and as soon as I un-ticked this "Smart Network Switch" option, under WiFi in settings, everything has been great and I am no longer being disconnected.
    Smart Network Switch worked for me!
    Roguefoxx likes this.
    02-06-2015 08:45 AM
    Go to your WiFi settings, up check the smart switch box. Should fix it.

Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S5 Constantly dropping Wifi-screenshot_2015-02-06-08-58-58.jpg  
    02-06-2015 08:59 AM
    I have found the solution for my phone dropping WiFi. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought 8 months ago then two days ago it suddenly dropped my WiFi signal and kept trying to reconnect, draining my battery. Coming to this forum gave me the answer. Thank you SpringWolf for the answer! That fixed it perfectly! Such a simple solution. I have no idea if it just suddenly started acting up or I I accidentally hit that button, but unchecking it seemed to have helped. For everyone else still having this problem please see her post below. Thank you again!
    02-06-2015 09:08 AM
    Thanks, all. Smart Network Switch worked for me. I also want to add I have had my ATT S5 for about 7 months now. Smart Switch was on the whole time. Like some of the rest of you, just in the last week it started dropping and reconnecting. I can't blame it on ATT's new non-lollipop update since it was happening before I updated, so I have no idea what in the last week started this mess but something did...
    02-06-2015 09:50 AM
    Thanks, all. Smart Network Switch worked for me. I also want to add I have had my ATT S5 for about 7 months now. Smart Switch was on the whole time. Like some of the rest of you, just in the last week it started dropping and reconnecting. I can't blame it on ATT's new non-lollipop update since it was happening before I updated, so I have no idea what in the last week started this mess but something did...
    It only started happening to me once I installed 4.4.4. Also I'm having issues with the default keyboard now. Seems like an all round bad update.
    02-06-2015 09:52 AM
    I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
    I'm on AT&T with my S5.
    Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.
    I just switched that off and it seems like the problem has been fixed, no more wifi drops, thanks !

02-06-2015 11:32 AM
    Wow this has happened to a few people today .... whats changed all of a sudden ???
    I had this start happening today to and switched of the not-so-"smart network switch" ..

i knew something funny was going on as my phone was strangely warmer than usual and had killed my battery in < 1/2 day....
    02-06-2015 07:01 PM
    That worked for me also, thanks
    02-06-2015 08:21 PM
    My Verizon Galaxy S5 just started doing this last night and won't stop. Even after updating to 5.0.0, still doing the same thing. What in the hell happened that caused this to start for everyone? Mine disconnects as soon as it connects and keeps trying to connect over and over. Something just changed to cause this for everyone.
    02-06-2015 11:08 PM
    This works man

It's Illegal, there was a case somewhat recently with a hotel chain doing it and they got a big fine. I know some of the newer schools have this tech as we deal with a couple, fortunately they don't make a habit out of it, they only kick out trouble makers. That was before the case recently, if they are smart they won't be doing that anymore.

Ironically this seemed to help my phone too, thanks.
    02-07-2015 10:08 AM
  24. Zhabwate BreakingThrough Clouds's Avatar
    I have had this same issue and went over on my data fast. I turned off the smart network switch and now I stay connected...and I bet my phone won't get over heated now.
    02-07-2015 11:52 AM
    1. Thanks to this thread, I found out how to fix my phone. Another one who the Smart Network Switch was screwing with.

2. I paid $99 for an insurance replacement for my S5 that I'd had since April 2014 because of the WiFi issue. Because the screen was cracked, my mfg warranty was voided. I went over on my data for January because of the inability to use WiFi and just got this new phone 3 days ago and thanks to the same issue on a brand new phone, I've already used more than my 3GB data for February.

I'm out probably $150 because of this glitch. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gone over on data simply because of a Samsung/Android issue. Are they obligated to cover any of these charges???

I'm in ATT, and this conveniently started right after ATT rolled out their Rollover Data feature. Trying to ensure I don't have any unused data to rollover maybe 😖
    02-07-2015 02:58 PM
108 1234 ...