Samsung Galaxy S5 Constantly dropping Wifi

jslat111

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I got my Sprint Galaxy S5 phone, it drops it's Wifi connection constantly. I have taken the phone back to Sprint and they assure me that it is fine. However, in the mean time it is still dropping the Wifi and now i am getting charged over usage charges for going over my 1GB limit..

I really need to get someone to help me out on this. It is beyond frustrating.

Thanks

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Check and make sure that Wi-Fi is kept on when the phone is in standby. Go to Settings ->Wi-Fi. Then hit the menu and go to Advanced. Make sure Keep Wi-Fi on is set to Always.

Does it drop just at your house, or everywhere?

ziva2006

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet its the Sprint Connections Optimizer. Worst idea Sprint has ever had for a program. Go to settings, more networks, mobile network, connections optimizer, then uncheck it. Let us know how it works afterwards.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I found a setting in mine last night about optimizing signal between WiFi and Cellular data, I made sure to keep that off. I want to use WiFi when I am at home and I have good overall wifi coverage.

Paul Genest

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I got my Sprint Galaxy S5 phone, it drops it's Wifi connection constantly. I have taken the phone back to Sprint and they assure me that it is fine. However, in the mean time it is still dropping the Wifi and now i am getting charged over usage charges for going over my 1GB limit..

I really need to get someone to help me out on this. It is beyond frustrating.

Thanks

Getting the same problem using my S5 in Canada using Bell so it's not a network issue.

Tried every possible settings and still have this issue. It has to be device related... Hope Samsung fixes this bug soon.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Getting the same problem using my S5 in Canada using Bell so it's not a network issue.

Tried every possible settings and still have this issue. It has to be device related... Hope Samsung fixes this bug soon.

Have you reported it to Samsung or your carrier? You might get the cold shoulder, but most customer care centers track complaints regardless of whether they can do anything about it at the time the complaint is made.

Get enough separate reports, and perhaps they will treat it as a bug.

Posted via Android Central App

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
My problem is that my phone doesn't remember the Wi-Fi networks like it used to on my s3. It keeps on requiring me to sign in again each time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. The S3 never had this problem. I just tried 'forgetting' my home network and re-connecting - I read somewhere that that fixed the problem for some. We'll see. Next will be turning off the Sprint Connections Optimizer.

Develous Bright

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I just had ATT come out to the house and change all of my phone wiring just to make sure that there was nothing wrong with my signal that could cause my brand new S5 to keep dropping calls. The techs thing that the Jr. High School across the street has a "seek and destroy" program that looks for unauthorized wifi signals and terminates them. They have similar problems with people who live close to the school. Maybe you also live close to a school or other institution that is interrupting your rogue wifi signal. Just an idea ... if anyone else has heard about this, do you know how to defeat it?

Keith Brown5

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I think I may have found the problem at least for Verizon customers.

Let me begin by saying I got my new S5 yesterday, loaded it all up and started noticing during that time that it would drop the wifi. Didn't think much of it until my wife said it was doing it the next morning and said we need to get that fixed. Hour and a half later, I've exhausted all of tech supports knowledge, and I get out of the guy that he sees there are other reports of this. I said "Yeah, do a search and these forums know all about it and are saying unless you carriers inform Samsung, they won't know there is a problem. " So we get Samsung on the line, and I am still flabbergasted that an employee of the company, being given this knowledge, says they can't do anything other than take the phone in for 9-11 days to repair it. I said " How are you going to repair it if you won't acknowledge you know there is a problem? There is evidence on this three way call from the carrier saying there are other reports... " ...long story short, I'm not waiting for a fix from Samsung any time soon.

Here is what I found when I went to exchange my phone at the Verizon store. The guy set it up, we had connection, and it held. I went home and loaded all my apps, and WHEN I WENT TO ACCESS THE MY VERIZON ICON, to put it on my home screen, it immediately kicked over and said "switcing to mobile data" and started the process of dropping and reconnecting to my wifi every couple of minutes.
I did a factory restart, loaded everything on my phone that I wanted, but did not touch, nor will I ever touch, the My Verizon icon, and I have not lost a connection yet. I have informed Verizon of this development, and they say they have noted it in the account. Sigh...

Anyway, I hope this helps, and leads to a fix one day...!

Steve Hamson

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my t-mobile s5. About every 5 seconds or so it was connecting and then dropping. I restarted the phone and that seemed to take care of the problem. I have had the phone for only about 3 days.

Posted via Android Central App

Springwolf

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
I'm on AT&T with my S5.
Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.

FLAWLESSVW

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The techs thing that the Jr. High School across the street has a "seek and destroy" program that looks for unauthorized wifi signals and terminates them.
Haha... I've heard a lot of bull**** from those minimum wage ISP/Cable techs over the years but that one is making my "list" haha.

In other words... He has no freaking clue what the problem is and decided to make something up he saw in a Sci fi movie.

One guy on YouTube suggested setting a Static IP. This may be good advice and force your device to keep a grip on its connection.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
OK when you say it drops WiFi is this at Home on your wifi ?
Or is this out and about ?
if at home it could be your router that is the issue if your router is two years old then it may have issues
any Netgear bassed routers are a Major issues as they need a Firmware update on the routers
But you need to try other wifi routers to see to eliminate this

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I just had ATT come out to the house and change all of my phone wiring just to make sure that there was nothing wrong with my signal that could cause my brand new S5 to keep dropping calls. The techs thing that the Jr. High School across the street has a "seek and destroy" program that looks for unauthorized wifi signals and terminates them. They have similar problems with people who live close to the school. Maybe you also live close to a school or other institution that is interrupting your rogue wifi signal. Just an idea ... if anyone else has heard about this, do you know how to defeat it?

Contact your local county attorney. These WiFi killers are illegal in all 50 states...

danelectro44

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
My samsung s5 constantly drops home wifi. No warning it just stops.
2 months ago with tech did factory reset did not last, next call Verizon tech then said it's probably an app (maybe 3rd party, but from their own play store),then they said to test try safe mode. That seemed to work, but runs basic phone apps only.
Most app are grayed out on list of programs in safe mode.
Last tech person said trade in for refurbished, no other choice...
why not get new phone? That's what the contract I have with them originally states, I get a working new phone, it's guaranteed!
It's still less than a year old, why should I have get refurb, which in the past I have had issues with refurb not having manufacturer parts, 3rd party battery , and defective phones.
my wife's mini droid has no issues with wifi, when you check samsung wifi setting it says it's saved, but not connected to home wifi. RestartING phone helps for awhile but it always drops, except in safe mode.why should you have to keep in safe mode or cpnstantly restarting phone, because of thier flaw.
I constantly get data overages warnings, emails saying id better get bigger data plan, what a racket, just another way to get money..if customer gets a bad phone don't punish customer.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem at work. At home everything works perfectly fine, but at work it shows connected but doesn't work. Restarting works for a little while, then goes back to not working. I've given up on solutions though because I've tried many suggestions. Best was the app "wifi fixer", but seemed too heavy on the battery for me.

Posted via Android Central App - Verizon S5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis