Samsung Galaxy S5 Constantly dropping Wifi

hunny0804

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have found the solution for my phone dropping WiFi. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought 8 months ago then two days ago it suddenly dropped my WiFi signal and kept trying to reconnect, draining my battery. Coming to this forum gave me the answer. Thank you SpringWolf for the answer! That fixed it perfectly! Such a simple solution. I have no idea if it just suddenly started acting up or I I accidentally hit that button, but unchecking it seemed to have helped. For everyone else still having this problem please see her post below. Thank you again!

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, all. Smart Network Switch worked for me. I also want to add I have had my ATT S5 for about 7 months now. Smart Switch was on the whole time. Like some of the rest of you, just in the last week it started dropping and reconnecting. I can't blame it on ATT's new non-lollipop update since it was happening before I updated, so I have no idea what in the last week started this mess but something did...

Emitan

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, all. Smart Network Switch worked for me. I also want to add I have had my ATT S5 for about 7 months now. Smart Switch was on the whole time. Like some of the rest of you, just in the last week it started dropping and reconnecting. I can't blame it on ATT's new non-lollipop update since it was happening before I updated, so I have no idea what in the last week started this mess but something did...

It only started happening to me once I installed 4.4.4. Also I'm having issues with the default keyboard now. Seems like an all round bad update.

Roofer309

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
I'm on AT&T with my S5.
Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.

I just switched that off and it seems like the problem has been fixed, no more wifi drops, thanks !

Posted via the Android Central App

Simon Westerby

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow this has happened to a few people today .... whats changed all of a sudden ???
I had this start happening today to and switched of the not-so-"smart network switch" ..

i knew something funny was going on as my phone was strangely warmer than usual and had killed my battery in < 1/2 day....

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon Galaxy S5 just started doing this last night and won't stop. Even after updating to 5.0.0, still doing the same thing. What in the hell happened that caused this to start for everyone? Mine disconnects as soon as it connects and keeps trying to connect over and over. Something just changed to cause this for everyone.

Ravi Teja Sharma

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
This works man

It's Illegal, there was a case somewhat recently with a hotel chain doing it and they got a big fine. I know some of the newer schools have this tech as we deal with a couple, fortunately they don't make a habit out of it, they only kick out trouble makers. That was before the case recently, if they are smart they won't be doing that anymore.

Ironically this seemed to help my phone too, thanks.

DeBuiser

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
1. Thanks to this thread, I found out how to fix my phone. Another one who the Smart Network Switch was screwing with.

2. I paid $99 for an insurance replacement for my S5 that I'd had since April 2014 because of the WiFi issue. Because the screen was cracked, my mfg warranty was voided. I went over on my data for January because of the inability to use WiFi and just got this new phone 3 days ago and thanks to the same issue on a brand new phone, I've already used more than my 3GB data for February.

I'm out probably $150 because of this glitch. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gone over on data simply because of a Samsung/Android issue. Are they obligated to cover any of these charges???

I'm in ATT, and this conveniently started right after ATT rolled out their Rollover Data feature. Trying to ensure I don't have any unused data to rollover maybe 😖

Yahel Johnson

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Unchecking "smart network switch" worked for me. The issue started about a month ago. Lost every network connection I was on constantly even though other devices didn't. Very annoying. I've had my phone for months with the option on with no issues. Glad it was an easy workaround but Samsung should definitely fix this as it doesn't seem to be an issue with other devices or a specific provider. I have AT&T and this forum mentions Verizon and Tmobile users too. I guess we can only hope Samsung is paying attention to their forums.

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi go to settings then wifi and uncheck smart network switch wifi should work perfect then mine did

My S5 just started doing this a few days ago. It goes off and on every 10 seconds or so. It does it on every wifi network. I just tried this and it seemed to fix it so far.

achillesheels

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I agree this is merely a workaround. I've had the "Smart Network Switch" on since I first got the phone last year and no problems until the last couple of days and I haven't had any Android updates recently (still on kitkat 4.4.4). I'm on Verizon and others reporting this same problem are on different carriers so it doesn't appear to be a Carrier issue. This also happened on my home and work wifi. I'm suspecting a recently updated app is causing the issue. That could be hard to troubleshoot though as I've had lots of recent app updates.

Stacy Lyons Pizzi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you...I did what you said and it's been great... I unchecked the Smart Network Switch and wha-lah!!
I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
I'm on AT&T with my S5.
Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.

Melanie Nash

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Started dropping wifi about a week ago, turned off the 'smart switch', and for the first time in a week, I've stayed on wifi for over 5 minutes. Sad that something like this had to be done so I can stay on wifi!!!

Philip Coombs

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely agree...!! My phone always worked with the Smart Networks enabled, then suddenly started reconnecting the Wifi constantly. I don't mean like every half hour... every few seconds. Why should I have to turn off a feature to fix something as a workaround?

alex9679

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
That used to happen to my Note, Reset your modem and it should be fine.

Hi i had the same problem ket dropping every 10 secs. I booted in safemode realised it was ok .
i uninstalled a few security apps and games i had recently put on and that fixed the problem. These apps did not effect my s5 before the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree this is merely a workaround. I've had the "Smart Network Switch" on since I first got the phone last year and no problems until the last couple of days and I haven't had any Android updates recently (still on kitkat 4.4.4). I'm on Verizon and others reporting this same problem are on different carriers so it doesn't appear to be a Carrier issue. This also happened on my home and work wifi. I'm suspecting a recently updated app is causing the issue. That could be hard to troubleshoot though as I've had lots of recent app updates.

This^^^^

Same here for my S5 and my Wifes S5. Both had this Wifi issue after lollipop. You should NOT have to turn stuff off to fix an issue that started immediately after a major Android update. . I have the network switch off ATM and hoping Verizon comes out with a fix..