Samsung Galaxy S5 Constantly dropping Wifi

iamladydi

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just uninstalled my anti-virus software and now my wifi will stay connected. It was McAfee. I may try to install again or just look for another app, but so far so good. This has been going on for months only with my wifi at work. Had the same issue with a Sony and returned because of it. The Samsung S5 worked fine for the first month or so, then it started happening again. I had also tried EVERYTHING mentioned here, but nothing worked. Fingers crossed it will stay connected.

DarkUltra

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

I have the same problem. It is especially sad for me because I use tasker to turn off lights and heat when I don't have wifi (when I leave the house).

It started happening after I upgraded my S5 to lollipop. I have the G900F international version. Smart network switch option is and have always been off.

disabati

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
This is an older post with many ideas for resolving this issue and here's how I resolved mine. I have a Galaxy Note 3 and had the same issue for nearly 6 months until I finally figured out what was going on. I'm sharing here in case others have a similar set of circumstances.

1. I have a router (Fios) that supports dual band (2.4 & 5gHz) WiFi frequencies. When I set up the router, I thought I would make it easy for everyone wanting to connect to my home network and named the SSID the same for both radios (in my case, "MyWiFi"). This seems to work for most phones because many older phones don't support the 5gHz band. So, when those phones connect, they are connecting to the MyWiFi 2.4gHz frequency and they stay connected because there are no other options their phones support.

2. My Galaxy Note 3, like many newer phones, supports both band frequencies. Thus, when I set the WiFi setting on my phone to connect to "MyWiFi", it connected to either the MyWiFi 2.4gHz or 5gHz band, depending on how far away I was from my router. Although the 5gHz band provides a more stable connection and is generally preferred, it also has less range than the 2.4gHz band. Thus, depending on whatever interference I was experiencing while walking around the house, my phone would many times drop one band in favor of the other (remember, in my case, both SSIDs were called "MyWiFi"). So, it always appeared that the WiFi connection would drop, connect to 3G/4G, and then later reconnect when in fact one radio frequency was being dropped in favor of a better signal (both of the same SSID).

3. SOLUTION - I simply changed the SSIDs on the two bands of my wireless router to:
(1) MyWiFi-2.4gHz and
(2) MyWiFi-5gHz
This has resolved my WiFi disconnects and allows older phones to still connect (older phones will only see "MyWiFi-2.4gHz"). Dual band phones will see both WiFi frequencies and should pick "MyWiFi-5gHz" in this example (unless the house is huge, the 2.4gHz connection could actually work better).

CONCLUSION - If anyone has:
(1) a dual-band wireless router, and
(2) happened to setup the SSID on both radios using the same name (like I did), and
(3) your phone is a dual band phone like many of the newer Galaxy (and iPhone) phones,
the solution above may resolve your problem. It certainly fixed mine.

Anagoge

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I've read the four pages of this thread. The only clear option seems to be turn off Smart Network Switch. However, that option isn't available on an S3.

I've had my S3 for two years. No problems with wifi until the last few weeks. Unless there was a software update without me realising, I feel like perhaps it might be more of a router issue than a phone issue. What do you think?

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
May depend on your carrier, but I"m on AT&T, I have an S3, and it does have the Smart Network option (under WiFi in the settings). You may have to update to the latest Android version, which I think is 4.4 on the S3 (it has not gotten the 5.0 version to my knowledge). But the Smart Network Switch is indeed the best solution to the problem, assuming you don't have other issues. (My S3 and S5 both had the dropout issue, but only on some WiFi connections, not all of them).

Ashley Welborn

May 21, 2015
Visit site
My issue is that I get kicked off of my WiFi connection I have reset the modem , router as well as my phone . This is only happens when in Google maps . I have reported this issue time and time again.

bluerap

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Using an S5 and an ASUS router here. Started having this problem after tampering with the router settings. Performing a factory reset on my router worked for me.

Jeric1963

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
I'm on AT&T with my S5.
Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.

I have been dealing with this for over a year. I have called my cable company several times, bought 3 new routers, and it NEVER dawned on my it was my phone since it had never done that before. It had cost me in date over charges, battery draining fast, and charges for the cable company coming 6 times. Thank you I am going to give this a try. I can't express the level of anger a fricken phone can actually give you.

Last edited by a moderator:

HandsomeP

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem, my wife's Samsung S4 was taking down the network. Several other devices connected without issue including my cell phone, but for some reason her phone crashed the network when she turned Wi-Fi on and connected to the network. We tried many things which did not work, and in our case the solution was to create a Guest Zone on the router to which she connected with her Samsung S4.

All Y_all

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Where is the setting?

It's in your wi-fi menu, under "advanced." The only problem with this solution to an obvious problem that Samsung doesn't appear to want fixed, is you're constantly switching between mobile & wifi! Could get quite pricey unless you're lucky enough to have true unlimited service. I've had my Samsung 5 for several years without this issue, just cropped up a few months ago. I'll be going back to a Motorola for my next phone.

Genesis1975

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
This worked for me in limited sample size. Only annoying thing is the show I'm watching will sort of pause with audio still running, then speed up to catch up.

Edit, meant to quote that it's the smart network switch that I unclicked.

Genesis1975

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
It's in your wi-fi menu, under "advanced." The only problem with this solution to an obvious problem that Samsung doesn't appear to want fixed, is you're constantly switching between mobile & wifi! Could get quite pricey unless you're lucky enough to have true unlimited service. I've had my Samsung 5 for several years without this issue, just cropped up a few months ago. I'll be going back to a Motorola for my next phone.

I turned off the Mobile data under data usage so it can't ding me.

RiverWolf2017

May 28, 2017
Visit site
This post is the one that led me to uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security. After uninstalling that app and restarting, my phone keeps wifi connections.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
This post is the one that led me to uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security. After uninstalling that app and restarting, my phone keeps wifi connections.

I'll second this suggestion. It's another testimony that use of any anti-virus/anti-malware utility on an Android device needs careful consideration. Typically I think being proactive is better than reactive when it comes to maintenance in general, but when it comes to the topic of Android and AV/malware apps, unless there's an actual problem I can't say they're a necessity. Recently I had a cousin who was running into WiFi connectivity issues and removing an AV utility she recently installed for no particular reason was a quick fix. (... and no, that's not just a single, anecdotal instance.)

MI Miah

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I'd just like to find out whether anyone (except those with a Samsung/S5/etc because their problem seems to be due to that "Smart Network Switch" or whatever) with this problem has McAfee Mobile Security installed on their phone, as uninstalling this app seemed to have resolved the issue on my Medion LIFE X5020...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC