I've Got to Decide on a Wireless Charger

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My Razr doesn't have a cover over the charging port like my Samsung will (delivery is tomorrow). I'm interested in the wireless charging. I've seen a few (4-5) and being new to wireless charging am totally at a loss as to which one I should get. I think I saw with multiple features for like $70. Don't need that one. Do want reliability, reasonably fast charging time (for a wireless charger) and a good fit for the part that goes inside the phone. Which one(s) do you suggest (tried and true)?
Thanks,
Monica

Juan Terre

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought one from eBay for $20. This is for both the charger and the receiver. It works great. The only thing is the receiver is a bit thick and I don't trust the water resistance anymore as there is a slight bulge in the back of the phone. My wife's s4 doesn't have the bulge. Make sure you get the thinnest receiver you can find 0.6mm at the thickest. Besides that, no problems at all. I even put on the Spigen case back on and no problems. Hope this helps.

QuadForce

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I second what sjaduae suggested. I too am waiting for the official one from Samsung. I would hate for it not to be water resistant any more.

pinkmonst3r

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
the charger will still be compatible, i bought a ebay receiver card. When the official samsung one launches, i will switch to that one. I just HATE uncovering that flap. I will use the card during the week, and switch to the Samsung on the weekends since i live in miami and spend most of my weekends in or around water. I will switch because it has been confirmed that it will be thinker than the packaged one with the phone and i couldnt imagine my case working since i have perfect from fitting Spigen Hard case.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
when you buy these wireless chargers do the receivers always come with them or is that sometimes an additional purchase? If 0.6 is too thick, what thickness should I look for?
And does anyone know when the Samsung version will be available? Any idea how much?
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Got my phone today and took it to the local (small town) Verizon shop. They didn't have any screen protectors and I don't want to even take it out of the pkg until I'm ready to have a screen protector installed. Guess I'm heading to the city tomorrow.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Amazon.com: S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV: Cell Phones & Accessories With the Koolpad from the same manufacturer. so far it works great. It does affect the phone being waterproof though. I haven't tested it, but they state clearly that it can interfere with the phone being waterproof. The Official Samsung covers should maintain water-resistance, but there's no telling when those will be made available. Some Verizon stores have them I've heard.

The Pwrcard fits with the original cover and all the cases I've tried including Otterbox.

MK Redding

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I use the S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV: as well with several different chargers. The TYLT works the best out of the box because it comes with its own power supply. the other chargers I have are PThink Qi-Enabled 3-coils Full-direction Free Positioning Foldable Stand, CHOETECH Stadium Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad and the MC-power Black QI Wireless Charger pad MC-02A. These chargers require you to provide your own power supply and if your like me you have a few in your possession already. What I quickly figured out was that many of the power supplies I had were 1000ma or less. This resulted in poor connections from phone to charger. Once I replaced them with 2000ma power supplies they all worked perfectly.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I just saw a video about the Samsung wireless charger for the S4. The back was quite a bit thicker than the original back. If this is the case with the S5, is it still going to fit with most phone cases. I have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid on the way.
Thanks

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the first Gen samsung pad.

I like it better than the new one because it is bigger and the phone doesn't overlap it

It's available on Amazon and you can get the new one from Verizon

-Sent from Tapatalk

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I just saw a video about the Samsung wireless charger for the S4. The back was quite a bit thicker than the original back. If this is the case with the S5, is it still going to fit with most phone cases. I have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid on the way.
Thanks

not from the initial testing i see.
thought there was a white one reviewed somewhere, but i cant find it now.

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I read somewere on here that the qi ones make the phone lose there water resistance because the back door seal rest on it.

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm so stinkin' confused! 3rd party chargers mess with the water resistant feature. The yet to be released S5 wireless charger looks like it will add enough bulk to the phone that many cases won't work. I've only had my phone for 2 days I can already tell opening and closing that usb port door is going to sooner or later be a problem :( So who makes a wireless charger that will still allow for water/dust resistance and not add too much bulk that cases will still fit?
Monica

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm so stinkin' confused! 3rd party chargers mess with the water resistant feature. The yet to be released S5 wireless charger looks like it will add enough bulk to the phone that many cases won't work. I've only had my phone for 2 days I can already tell opening and closing that usb port door is going to sooner or later be a problem :( So who makes a wireless charger that will still allow for water/dust resistance and not add too much bulk that cases will still fit?
Monica

No one. Don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise. You can either use the Official Samsung Qi Cover which adds approximately 3mm of thickness. This will make nearly all cases incompatible except for some Bumpers and a few random cases. The Samsung Protective Case (Clear/Gray) that Samsung sells works well with the cover but it must be installed on the phone perfectly or the volume/power keys won't line up and you'll have issues. This is the solution I'm using (OEM Qi Charging Cover + Samsung Protective Case + Tylt Vu Charger).

Have you tried it with Spigen's Slim Armor cases?

Doesn't work.

not from the initial testing i see.
thought there was a white one reviewed somewhere, but i cant find it now.

As I said above the OEM cover adds approximately 3mm of thickness and makes most cases incompatible.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

tutor

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I use this one purchased from ebay... doesn't look like it breaks the water seal (no I don't intend in dropping it in the toilet to confirm that statement... sorry). It is wafer thin and seems to charge very nicely. I only purchased the wafer card, but I believe it did offer a Qi puck I could have gotten at the same time, but I already have 3 pucks. I have used it with both the Spigens Slim Armor and the Spigen Tough Armor cases, it works without any issues.

$_57.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax