Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Every time I think "I must be the only one (fill in the blank)..." I find out I'm not alone. Yes, I'm having a little harder time getting used to it than I expected especially since I've owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition for 6 months. I realize a new device will take some getting used to but I don't recall my Droid Razr being as confusing. But then again, I doubt it offered as much as the S5 does. Frankly, I blame the alarming rate of my escaping/decreasing brain cells for a lot of the confusion! I like the phone but I can't seem to hold on to it. I've dropped it (not to the ground) several times in the 2 1/2 days I've had it. Might be a small hands/large phone issue. And every time I press the right side button to turn it on, I inadvertently press the volume buttons. Hopefully I'll tame this beast before it's time for my next upgrade (in two years!)

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Three weeks in for me here and no buyer’s remorse yet. Indeed, I think if you are intent upon exploring everything there is to explore there is a lot learn. It’s even got options to make it simpler to use for that matter, right? (Haven’t played with that one)

I’ve enjoyed the challenge to pick up on it. I had zero exposure to Android prior to this. It’s got a ton of tricks up its sleeve. Figured out I can use my Wi-Fi and presumably some form of DLNA to sit on my back porch and play songs off my phone through my Blu-ray player and home theater (and the TV but no output to the receiver). That’s just really pretty cool! It seems to have a lot of wireless connectivity tricks like that I’m not sure an IPhone can do.

Facebook has been locking up on me and crashing though. I was red faced one evening out on the town the first time it did it to me while I was trying to post a pic of my drink. I know how to shut it down now if that happens again without pulling the battery.

I’m afraid that it’s not going to restore like ITunes will if it ever needs to be wiped and started fresh, but that is yet to be seen. So many little things to reset if it doesn’t.

I gave my work IPad back (they’re some real assholes about *personal usage*). I can get by just fine with the S5 alone.

lgdlman

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Went from a 4s to Windows, my first Droid phoe, loving it. This is probably what the next iPhone will be like.

Love the layout on everything, screen and display is amazing and synch to my work Exchange act fine. Even synch to my Ford Synch better than apple or windows.

Looked at the HTC but as much as everyone will tell you the camera isn't a big, it's a big deal.

Posted via Android Central App

monicajae

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Every time I think "I must be the only one (fill in the blank)..." I find out I'm not alone. Yes, I'm having a little harder time getting used to it than I expected especially since I've owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition for 6 months. I realize a new device will take some getting used to but I don't recall my Droid Razr being as confusing. But then again, I doubt it offered as much as the S5 does. Frankly, I blame the alarming rate of my escaping/decreasing brain cells for a lot of the confusion! I like the phone but I can't seem to hold on to it. I've dropped it (not to the ground) several times in the 2 1/2 days I've had it. Might be a small hands/large phone issue. And every time I press the right side button to turn it on, I inadvertently press the volume buttons. Hopefully I'll tame this beast before it's time for my next upgrade (in two years!)

+1

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Soooo, I just discovered that I can turn the screen on with the home button instead of the on/off button on the right side. That's gonna help.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Soooo, I just discovered that I can turn the screen on with the home button instead of the on/off button on the right side. That's gonna help.

Yeah the home button is great but you want a case that keeps it from getting pressed all the time in your purse or pocket. I noticed some women like the Mega because the buttons are almost halfway down the side.

DacyJ

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I was a solid blackberry user that switched to the first iPhone when it came out. I've had every iPhone and iPad since then. One day a few weeks ago I got a wild hair up my *** to try out an S5. So far it's pretty cool. I miss the way the camera roll is for the iPhone. I absolutely hate the way the S5 breaks the pictures into folders. I use quickpic now but it's just not the same. I want an app that puts camera roll, screen shots, downloaded pictures and all in one spot, and in order like the iPhone. Messaging apps aren't bad, I use chompSMS and it works pretty good. I love this phone for a lot of reasons. The complete customization of this phone is awesome. It's still pretty new to me so I'll report back later on the plus and negatives. Thanks.

Posted via Nokia 6230

DacyJ

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I reverted back to my iPhone to beta test ios8. Lasted seriously about 6 or 7 hours and I had enough. I found myself holding my iPhone about 3 inches from my face because it's so small, and using the keyboard was hard as hell. I can honestly say this s5 is great.

Posted via Nokia 6230 (I play snake)

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Not at all. My previous phone was a note 3 and before that I had an S4 and before that an original galaxy note. The only thing I'm getting used to at the moment is the new task switching button.

About 2.5 years ago I used to be an iPhone user though and then my iPhone 4 was stolen. I had 2 months before my upgrade. I reluctantly bought a Samsung galaxy Y, to use until I could upgrade to the iPhone 4S. At first I suppose it was hard getting used to a new operating system as I had been using iPhones for previous three years. However I found it quite intuitive, like using a windows PC. After a few days once my anger at having my iPhone stolen had gone I settled down with the Galaxy Y and actually started to like it. When it came time to upgrade I didn't get the iPhone 4S, I got the original note. I tried the 5S in January this year in between the S4 and the note 3 but the old magic was gone lol I lasted 28 days before selling it and getting the note 3. In the 2.5 years I've been using Samsung phones, I've continued to use apple products e.g. iPad mini/air, ipod touch, Apple TV. So I'm always on top of what Apple had to offer in terms of software.

It takes a while but you get used to it.

Posted from my S5

Last edited:

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I was a solid blackberry user that switched to the first iPhone when it came out. I've had every iPhone and iPad since then. One day a few weeks ago I got a wild hair up my *** to try out an S5. So far it's pretty cool. I miss the way the camera roll is for the iPhone. I absolutely hate the way the S5 breaks the pictures into folders. I use quickpic now but it's just not the same. I want an app that puts camera roll, screen shots, downloaded pictures and all in one spot, and in order like the iPhone. Messaging apps aren't bad, I use chompSMS and it works pretty good. I love this phone for a lot of reasons. The complete customization of this phone is awesome. It's still pretty new to me so I'll report back later on the plus and negatives. Thanks.

Posted via Nokia 6230

I think photo organisation on ios has gotten better with ios 7, before everything was dumped in the camera roll. Now that things are organised by date I think it's much better. I think the Samsung gallery is a bit of a mess but I like it. It kind of feels like organised clutter to me lol I like all my pics arranged into folders.

Posted from my S5

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Three weeks in after upgrading from the GS3 and now that I have it setup how I want it and I've not really had many problems. Having said that though the only thing I am having trouble adapting to is the replacement of the menu key to the left of the home button. All of my current Samsung devices (Ace 2, GS3 and GSN 10.1 2014) has this as the menu key. Why Samsung decided to replace this to become the recent key instead of long pressing the home key is beyond me but I can't help but think of the phase "if its not broken, don't fix it"

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Three weeks in after upgrading from the GS3 and now that I have it setup how I want it and I've not really had many problems. Having said that though the only thing I am having trouble adapting to is the replacement of the menu key to the left of the home button. All of my current Samsung devices (Ace 2, GS3 and GSN 10.1 2014) has this as the menu key. Why Samsung decided to replace this to become the recent key instead of long pressing the home key is beyond me but I can't help but think of the phase "if its not broken, don't fix it"
The menu is still there. Just long press the "recent apps" key and your menu will pop up.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I've had nothing but Moto Smartphones, with the exception of the unlocked phone I bought second-hand for the sole purpose of being a media device.
The back button and I guess you'd call it Previous Task button are reversed on the 2 devices. So I'm constantly hitting the wrong soft buttons. Also, every phone I've had before now has had a soft Home Key. I can't tell you the number of times I've slid my finger over the home button and got irritated when nothing happened because I forgot it's an actual button now.
The settings screen I'm also often fumbling through. Not a fan at off of it.

That's really it, simple things mostly around the buttons and dedicated soft keys.

I also miss Moto's Circles widget. There are similar widgets to it, but none are quite like it enough.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar