SM-G900H (Exynos) users - Do any 64GB cards work for you?

1AvgUser

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the SM-G900H (Exynos) version and find my SD card unmounting randomly and generally having problems.

• Sometimes Application Settings crashes.
  • Sometimes the card shows as empty w/ ES File Explorer
  • Sometimes it just spins in ES File Explorer
  • Almost every time I put the card back into my PC it says that it needs to "Scan and Correct Errors."

This is my 3rd S5 (both AT&T and T-Mobile versions) and didn't see this with the SnapDragon versions.

It failed with the SanDisck 64GB Extreme so I went out and bought the 64GB SanDisk Extreme plus. The problem occurs with both UHS-I cards (for me).

Interestingly, an old 8GB microSD card (not SDXC) works fine with this phone and has never had an issue.

Could it be a octacore problem or maybe I just have a bad card reader in this unit?

WHICH SD CARD ARE YOU USING IN YOUR G900H (Exynos) PHONE? And are you rooted or not?

steve_bham

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with a 64gb sandisk. But it was a faulty card. In transit for replacement as I type!

Posted via Android Central App

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I had problem with PNY 64 10 class. Got the SanDisk - Ultra Plus 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card at best buy and works great and it's so much faster! not rooted

Posted via Android Central App

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
ES File Explorer does not work with KitKat as it does not have the proper read/write permissions. You need to use the pre-installed File Explorer "My Files"

I have the SM-G900H (Exynos) version and find my SD card unmounting randomly and generally having problems.

• Sometimes Application Settings crashes.
  • Sometimes the card shows as empty w/ ES File Explorer
  • Sometimes it just spins in ES File Explorer
  • Almost every time I put the card back into my PC it says that it needs to "Scan and Correct Errors."

This is my 3rd S5 (both AT&T and T-Mobile versions) and didn't see this with the SnapDragon versions.

It failed with the SanDisck 64GB Extreme so I went out and bought the 64GB SanDisk Extreme plus. The problem occurs with both UHS-I cards (for me).

Interestingly, an old 8GB microSD card (not SDXC) works fine with this phone and has never had an issue.

Could it be a octacore problem or maybe I just have a bad card reader in this unit?

WHICH SD CARD ARE YOU USING IN YOUR G900H (Exynos) PHONE? And are you rooted or not?

1AvgUser

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with a 64gb sandisk. But it was a faulty card. In transit for replacement as I type!

Thanks, let me know how it goes.

UPDATE: I chatted with Samsung support in India and they said that there were no known issues of the faster "EXTREME" and "EXTREME PLUS" cards not working. So, I'm leaning towards believing that my specific phone is bad but I do want to confirm that someone else has used this exact card successfully.

These are the two that did not work in my G900H (octacore Exynos) version...
View attachment 116856

I had problem with PNY 64 10 class. Got the SanDisk - Ultra Plus 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card at best buy and works great and it's so much faster! not rooted

Thanks, I will keep that as a back-up plan if no one confirms that the faster Extreme plus is working.

diamondRanch: can you confirm that your phone will save video and "Shots & More" photos to this card? The Ultra did not work for me in the SM-G900T / T-Mobile version (got the message that the phone was switching to internal storage because the memory was not fast enough) but maybe the Ultra Plus is fast enough?

picked up a Samsung Class 10 64Gig card online for $24. Works perfectly. Had a knock of brand that keep dropping out info. Trashed it.

Thanks, another backup plan -- can you confirm that your phone will save video and "Shots & More" photos to this card?

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a samsung one as it was the cheapest one I could find at ?20, it seems to work fine so far, its a Samsung 64GB Pro SDXC UHS-1 Class 10

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
diamondRanch: can you confirm that your phone will save video and "Shots & More" photos to this card? The Ultra did not work for me in the SM-G900T / T-Mobile version (got the message that the phone was switching to internal storage because the memory was not fast enough) but maybe the Ultra Plus is fast enough?

Yes, I just did it to make sure. It's working great. The Ultra Plus is much faster for me.

1AvgUser

May 7, 2014
Visit site
In the end it turned out that my phone had a bad card reader!

• The faster memory is definitely worth the extra money IMHO.

Also, I did format with FAT32 using the fat32format.exe program which you can find all over the place.

NikolaSl

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem on my SM-G900H. The issue is reproduced with two SDHC cards - 64GB Samsung UHC-I and 32GB Maxwell class 10. Both cards still working fine on my other phone Galaxy S3 (I9300).
I have tried with 8GB card and it works on S5.
I am suspecting the firmware, because the problem has occurred after firmware update. When the card is not accessible "Device status" becomes "Custom" even after reboot, but when the card becomes visible again it returns to "Official".