Why isn't MMS working on S5 when on WiFi?

George Alam1

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: MMS not working on S5 when on wifi

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm having problems sending texts in Bainville Montana. Now I understand my signal is shotty but I do have wifi where I am. Now this whole thing is bugging me because I can receive any and all texts on my s5 but can't send. I probably wouldn't question it but when I use my Verizon messaging on my LG tablet it sends and receives fine. (LG is connected to the wifi.) Also, when I send pic messages on my phone it goes thru no problem. So basically, if I want to text anyone I have to attach a pic in order for it to go thru. Can anyone tell me why I can't send normal texts via wifi or help me to do so please? Also, please speak English for I'm not up with the technology lingo.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm having problems sending texts in Bainville Montana. Now I understand my signal is shotty but I do have wifi where I am. Now this whole thing is bugging me because I can receive any and all texts on my s5 but can't send. I probably wouldn't question it but when I use my Verizon messaging on my LG tablet it sends and receives fine. (LG is connected to the wifi.) Also, when I send pic messages on my phone it goes thru no problem. So basically, if I want to text anyone I have to attach a pic in order for it to go thru. Can anyone tell me why I can't send normal texts via wifi or help me to do so please? Also, please speak English for I'm not up with the technology lingo.

Hi, picture texting uses the cell data. You need to have data turned on, not WiFi, or an app like Textra which will turn it on just for the MMS and then turn it back off. For plain texting, that is similar to voice calling. Are you using 10 digit phone numbers in your contacts? Please try that and let us know how it works out. (Or doesn't.)

George Alam1

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Hi, picture texting uses the cell data. You need to have data turned on, not WiFi, or an app like Textra which will turn it on just for the MMS and then turn it back off. For plain texting, that is similar to voice calling. Are you using 10 digit phone numbers in your contacts? Please try that and let us know how it works out. (Or doesn't.)

I tried entering the whole 10 digit but that didn't work either. I turned off wifi first.

George Alam1

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Just downloaded textra and it still isn't working. I probably wouldn't be so frustrated about it if I wasn't able to get texts. But being as though I do, I think I should be able to send them

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I use Chomp sms just for this exact reason. Verizon doesn't allow MMS over wifi and with a"limited" data plan, I don't leave 4g data running continuously. With Chomp sms, in their settings for MMS, there is an option that you enable it to turn 4g data on automatically just for those few seconds to "send and receive MMS" and then it turns your 4g data back off with you not having to toggle anything. This is a big plus when people send me MMS because the app downloads everything automatically. Textra is a scaled down version of Chomp sms from same devs and does the same thing.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.p1.chompsms&token=irszZNn8
e6agyha3.jpg

from "Ms Note 3"

Iain Sinclair

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site

same here just tested stuck on downloading whilst connected to wifi
but can get it if not connected to wifi using s5 galaxy on AT&T

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

same here just tested stuck on downloading whilst connected to wifi
but can get it if not connected to wifi using s5 galaxy on AT&T

That's the Carrier's doing. With Sprint, I was able to send and receive MMS over wifi. Verizon doesn't allow it, only while 4g data is on. It will show downloading until your actual 4g is turned on.This is why I use Chomp sms because it toggles data on long enough to handle MMS and then it's turned right back off.

from "Ms Note 3"

Jaime Thomas

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

I just realized this tonight about pics downloading while on wifi, I kept hitting download and NOTHING.. So annoying!

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Have tried everything that has been posted. It is about time somebody just said that Android/Samsung is just poor, but there is ever an issue when ads and crap that I just do not want is sent to me at anytime. If I provided such poor service/products, I would be sacked. We should all bin our phones and let them starve.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Have tried everything that has been posted. It is about time somebody just said that Android/Samsung is just poor, but there is ever an issue when ads and crap that I just do not want is sent to me at anytime. If I provided such poor service/products, I would be sacked. We should all bin our phones and let them starve.

Sorry to hear that's things aren't working for you. It may be time to go to Verizon and let them see why it's not working. If you've turned on mobile data (4g) and are still aren't able to send/retrieve mms, then Verizon is your next stop.

from "Ms Note 3"

Derek Shenk

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

"Activate Mobile Data" is NOT a solution! This simply disables the wifi and uses the cell tower to send the text. If you are in an area where there is no cell service, but you have wifi, you should be able to send mms messages over wifi only, which you solution does not solve!

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

"Activate Mobile Data" is NOT a solution! This simply disables the wifi and uses the cell tower to send the text. If you are in an area where there is no cell service, but you have wifi, you should be able to send mms messages over wifi only, which you solution does not solve!

I am on Verizon and correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure MMS and Texts use the Cell data not WiFi.. That is why folks have unlimited texts on their data plan. Not sure about the other carriers but Verizon (unless it has changed lately) allows texts/MMS through data only..

Maybe when Verizon implements WiFi calling, they will allow texts/MMS to go through WiFi..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It is a carrier limitation that is why he suggested doing it this way. The carrier has to support MMS over WiFi for it to work.

schumii

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the problem where I have data ON and wifi ON and I try to send the MMS, it won't send until I turn OFF wifi. The mms just hangs and eventually fails.

Anyone knows what's up with this?

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I use Chomp sms just for this exact reason. Verizon doesn't allow MMS over wifi and with a"limited" data plan, I don't leave 4g data running continuously. With Chomp sms, in their settings for MMS, there is an option that you enable it to turn 4g data on automatically just for those few seconds to "send and receive MMS" and then it turns your 4g data back off with you not having to toggle anything. This is a big plus when people send me MMS because the app downloads everything automatically. Textra is a scaled down version of Chomp sms from same devs and does the same thing.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.p1.chompsms&token=Y-ogWIa4
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/31/e6agyha3.jpg

from "Ms Note 3"

Im using the stock messaging app. my data isnt on I get mms notification. it wont automatically download but it a have an option to download. I push it data clicks on mms downloads data turns itself off. Without doing it manually. And im on at&t.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Im using the stock messaging app. my data isn't on I get mms notification. it wont automatically download but it a have an option to download. I push it data clicks on mms downloads data turns itself off. Without doing it manually. And i'm on at&t.

Yup, and that is why I am using Textra.... I was previously using Chomp by the same developers and prefer the Textra GUI.

If you note my signature, data is always off until I unlock the phone..... and then, most of the time, I have data turned off as a matter of routine.

Like you, I have a limited data plan and don't want data to get used needlessly if WiFi is anywhere around me.

Technoir Rob

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Ive been having the same problem for two weeks on both my at&t s5 (on contract) and my verizon s5 ( rooted). For me it turned out to be the addblock plus app. I wont touch the internet on a pc without it, so naturally i installed the app on my two S5's, prior to ever having sent a picture message. So when nether phone could send or recieve a phone i thought it was maby a design flaw or bug. Nope. Was my darn addblock plus app for me.

Rob T1

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
using app based mms or sms on the at&t network some sort of data is required, be it mobile data or wifi because messages are routed over a data connection

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No getting around not using data for mms if the carrier doesn't allow you to do it over wifi. As I said in a previous post, a third party app is my workaround. I don't want my data on constantly with my limited data plan so I use Chomps sms because it toggles my data on just for the few minutes to handle my mms messages and then it turns my data off when it's finished. Been using Chomps sms ever since I switched to Verizon over 2 years ago.

from "Ms Note 3"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800