Photo preview issue in gallery - Picture brightness / saturation changes

Lionsandtigers

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me out with this one - I've searched everywhere and I can't see anyone reporting the same issue.

Basically, I've noticed that when I'm previewing photos in the gallery, I see two different coloured versions of the same picture, depending on what mode I'm viewing it in.

When I'm previewing photos by scrolling through the thumbnails, they seem to have accurate saturation and hue, however when I click into an image to view it full screen, it washes the image out.

Even more strangely, when I click in to edit the same image, it will then render the image in the proper colouring (BEFORE I have applied any editing effects).

Also, when I exit the photo, it will briefly display in the correct colour for a split second before it disappears from the screen.

If nobody's noticed this issue yet, just go in and out of a photo from your gallery and look at the colour difference. It's most noticeable in pictures of people.

I hope someone else has come across this and has some idea what it's about and how to fix it?

Sorry for the TL;DR - brief summary is: Photos look different in the thumbnails from the full size view of the photos. Full size viewing washes the image out. Any ideas?

dcraig5150

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Had my S5 for a week now, noticed the same thing. Every time I took a picture then went to view it, the picture would become very dim. I've found that by turning off the auto brightness control, the picture would be full bright with proper color. When the camera app is in use, the screen is full bright, but in view mode it goes back to the auto setting. Other than keeping the brightness control on manual, I don't know how to work around this.

tobago_88

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I figured out the solution to the issue.

The S5 has a bunch of different screen modes. Go to Settings, Display, Screen Mode and change your setting from Adaptive Display to Standard.

The default setting on the screen is "Adaptive Display" this is what is causing the changes in color.

If you change it to "Standard" you will no longer see the difference :)

Let me know if this fixes the problem!!

Domonique Caldwell

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site

The S5 has a bunch of different screen modes. Go to Settings, Display, Screen Mode and change your setting from Adaptive Display to Standard.

The default setting on the screen is "Adaptive Display" this is what is causing the changes in color.

YES THIS FIXES IT!! THANK YOU! I've had this S5 over 2 years and couldn't figure it out!

Justusana

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site

Thanks alot this worked

mylessch

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
I've had the Samsung Galaxy S5 since its release in spring 2014. This issue started bothering me almost immediately. Last year I got the S5 Neo, and I was extremely disappointed when a new phone didn't resolve the issue. I've done a couple Google searches, but didn't know how to phrase what I was experiencing so nothing ever came of it.

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH FOR THIS RESOLUTION!!!!

I get help from forums all the time, but this is the first time I've created an account to thank someone for their response.

I hated having to use Google photos just so I could see the accurate colours of my photos.