S5 SD card, what speed makes the most sense?

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I need an SD as my old phone has a class 4. I was just wondering how fast is fast enough?

There is class 10, UHS-1 (30-48 meg per sec), and then some extremely fast varients (70-90 meg read speed).

I am eyeing the Samsung branded card that claims 48 meg "transfer" speed in either 32 or 64 gig. I assume transfer means read.

If someone could give me the tech spec as far as what speed the phone is capable of that would be great. I am also very interested in what you are using in your phones and your opinions.

What am I going to actually notice in use with a faster card? Right now all I can think would be affected is the rate at which I can take bursts of pictures.

Thank you in advance. The girls and guys on this forum are the best. Both friendly and knowledgeable. I cant wait to see what I learn from your responses.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I got this as it was the top rated in a few places I looked
Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 32GB EVO Micro SDHC with Adapter Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP32DA/AM): Computers & Accessories
Samsung Evo $20 for 32gb which i got and 64 for $44

That's the one I was looking at. I just don't want to have buyers remorse for not spending the extra for the even faster cards.

I'll prabably just buy that card in 32 gig and hope the redicoluosly large pictures don't fill it up. If they do I can always dump them on my hard drive.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It's another Galaxy. Its predecessors eat cheap cards as bad as the Hero 3. You want like a Sandisk Pro or a Genuine Samsung. Beware Amazon, MANY OF THE LISTED SAMSUNG ARE FAKE.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
It's another Galaxy. Its predecessors eat cheap cards as bad as the Hero 3. You want like a Sandisk Pro or a Genuine Samsung. Beware Amazon, MANY OF THE LISTED SAMSUNG ARE FAKE.

The one linked says ships from and sold by Amazon. That carries weight for me. I am only wary of non amazon purchases through the amazon site.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Evo is probably more TLC based flash and also trying to tie into the success of the 840 EVO SSDs. Also from Samsung. I think the more expensive older Genuine Samsung 64GB may be sturdier than the new type, I will look into the speed side of things.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have done some research on this topic in the last week and it's more complicated than it seems. These cards perform differently based on the size and number of files being written. Tom's hardware did a nice performance test of many sd cards. Without getting to in depth it looks like the Evo card from Samsung is the best overall choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira