12-13-2017 01:37 PM
124 12345
tools
    I agree. I can't believe neither Samsung can't put one of those lock buttons that you slide on and off to keep this from happening. We're up to version 5 now and they can't get this done??? It's amazing the kinds of things this phone is able do on its on while I'm walking through Target.

Annoying as #$@$$
    07-20-2014 09:32 AM
    I think that app Intelliscreen could help. It use proximity or Light sensor to recognize if the phone is in the pocket - but only in pro version (paid)
    07-21-2014 07:51 AM
    Is it not obvious? If they fixed the problem sales for their S-View case would slide.
    07-21-2014 04:05 PM
    Is it not obvious? If they fixed the problem sales for their S-View case would slide.
    If they don't fix the problem sales for their GS 6 will slide, GS5 too, once enough people get annoyed and complain about it.
    My wife was choosing between a GS 5 and the new iphone but after hearing mine go off on its own while in my pocket she no longer is interested in the GS5.
    07-22-2014 02:18 AM
    I have faced the same issue. It unlocks automatically which can be a pain. Also if I use a pattern lock, I saw the emergency number being dialed automatically a few times. That's why I removed it. I never had this issue on other Galaxy S phones before.
    07-22-2014 10:09 AM
    I have the same problem. Interestingly my first S5 had to go back because the touchscreen kept not working. On the replacement the touch screen is TOO sensitive - even with the Touch Sensitivity off. I can activate an app by pressing lightly with one thickness of shirt round my finger, and with two if I press hard. The S3 never did that. I suspect this is a cause of pocket dial so I have had to lock the screen like others. A bit like Windows, I feel this phone is going backwards in some ways as well as forwards in others.
    07-28-2014 12:45 PM
    I agree. I can't believe neither Samsung can't put one of those lock buttons that you slide on and off to keep this from happening. We're up to version 5 now and they can't get this done??? It's amazing the kinds of things this phone is able do on its on while I'm walking through Target.

Annoying as #$@$$
    07-29-2014 05:04 PM
    Thank god is not just me. My friend has the same phone and he thinks I'm nuts because it's never happened to him. But most of the fine when I pull the phone or of my pocket the first thing I have to do is erase pictures and screen shots. The reps at the store had never heard of it either
    07-29-2014 05:07 PM
    I have the same problem. Interestingly my first S5 had to go back because the touchscreen kept not working. On the replacement the touch screen is TOO sensitive - even with the Touch Sensitivity off. I can activate an app by pressing lightly with one thickness of shirt round my finger, and with two if I press hard. The S3 never did that. I suspect this is a cause of pocket dial so I have had to lock the screen like others. A bit like Windows, I feel this phone is going backwards in some ways as well as forwards in others.
    Could it be air wake causing it? Just a thought.
    07-29-2014 05:08 PM
    Pattern unlock = problem solved

Posted via Android Central App
    07-29-2014 10:03 PM
    Well, I thought I was the only one having this trouble, but I see by the posts here that it's a common complaint.
    My Galaxy s5 keeps opening the home scree/lock screen and dialing the phone, (mostly 911 emergency) or it tries to send texts & emails (sometime it succeeds), removes apps & folders from the home screen, etc. all by itself, without my knowledge.
    These actions are not just annoying, the accidental/false alarm 911 emergency calls are dangerous, and if it keeps happening I could very well be charged for them.
    With my iPhone 4s, even if the screen did lite up with a notification, you had to very deliberately slide the screen, otherwise, it activated only by very deliberately pressing the home button, and the home button was recessed, so it really couldn't be accidentally pressed easily. The button/screen sensitivity, on this POS are way too easily activated in my pocket.
    I've tried several lock methods, and screen lock apps. Some help some of these issues, but nothing I've found prevents all of them from happening. In fact when it's "securely" locked with a pattern, pin, or password, is when the most 911 calls are accidentally dialed.
    I shouldn't have to ROOT my phone, buy a special case/cover, or otherwise "fix" this on my own. It seems to me that the issue is with the current OS, and a poorly designed home button. There has to be something Samsung/Android can do to fix this design flaw.
    Does anyone else agree with me on this???

All I want is for the screen to be TOTALLY INACTIVE UNTIL I DELIBERATELY ACTIVATE IT. Is that too much to ask?
    I'm extremely frustrated at this point, and don't see myself owning another Galaxy phone in the future if these issues cannot be corrected.
    typhon62_1 and xjeepguy like this.
    08-05-2014 04:51 PM
    I've never posted before so forgive me if this is old but this has been anoying me too, I have just solved my issue with this by downloading an app called Dynamic notification lock screen, there is an option in the paid app (1.69) to disable the home button unlocking your screen.
    Hope it helps someone out there
    mistaj33 likes this.
    08-10-2014 08:46 AM
    Well, I thought I was the only one having this trouble, but I see by the posts here that it's a common complaint.
    My Galaxy s5 keeps opening the home scree/lock screen and dialing the phone, (mostly 911 emergency) or it tries to send texts & emails (sometime it succeeds), removes apps & folders from the home screen, etc. all by itself, without my knowledge.
    These actions are not just annoying, the accidental/false alarm 911 emergency calls are dangerous, and if it keeps happening I could very well be charged for them.
    With my iPhone 4s, even if the screen did lite up with a notification, you had to very deliberately slide the screen, otherwise, it activated only by very deliberately pressing the home button, and the home button was recessed, so it really couldn't be accidentally pressed easily. The button/screen sensitivity, on this POS are way too easily activated in my pocket.
    I've tried several lock methods, and screen lock apps. Some help some of these issues, but nothing I've found prevents all of them from happening. In fact when it's "securely" locked with a pattern, pin, or password, is when the most 911 calls are accidentally dialed.
    I shouldn't have to ROOT my phone, buy a special case/cover, or otherwise "fix" this on my own. It seems to me that the issue is with the current OS, and a poorly designed home button. There has to be something Samsung/Android can do to fix this design flaw.
    Does anyone else agree with me on this???

All I want is for the screen to be TOTALLY INACTIVE UNTIL I DELIBERATELY ACTIVATE IT. Is that too much to ask?
    I'm extremely frustrated at this point, and don't see myself owning another Galaxy phone in the future if these issues cannot be corrected.
    I guess this takes the S5 off my list as a possible upgrade. Bummer
    08-10-2014 02:33 PM
    I have found the solution after experiencing a similar problem myself. What happened is the phone thinks it has the s view cover on. When there is a change in light setting it thinks the s view cover was opened so it unlock the phone for you. To disable this feature you would go to Settings > Accesory > unchecked Automatic unlock.

Cheers!
    Tuon
    08-10-2014 10:29 PM
    I just installed the app PSL (Pocket Screen Lock) this seems to have resolved this issue for me!
    08-11-2014 12:58 PM
    I just installed the app"PSL" (Pocket Screen Lock) from the Play Store, this seems to have resolved this issue for me!
    08-11-2014 01:50 PM
    Have you tried changing the touch sensitivity on your screen so that it is not so sensitive? I had this problem sticking it in my purse. Never had it with the S2,3, or 4. The only difference I knew of is S5 has a touch sensitivity that allows you to use the phone with gloves. It comes set that way by default. I changed mine and have not had a problem since.
    08-13-2014 06:40 PM
    Have you tried changing the touch sensitivity on your screen so that it is not so sensitive? I had this problem sticking it in my purse. Never had it with the S2,3, or 4. The only difference I knew of is S5 has a touch sensitivity that allows you to use the phone with gloves. It comes set that way by default. I changed mine and have not had a problem since.
    Good tip. Anyone try this yet?
    08-13-2014 07:27 PM
    For you mlb at bat app fans (like me), their latest app update may have solved this problem for me. Can setup "cover screen" on S5 as a new feature within the app and as a bonus hopefully solves unlocking problem too.

Posted via Android Central App - Verizon S5
    08-21-2014 08:14 PM
    Thank you!!!! I've been struggling with this problem since I got this phone. I keep it in my shirt pocket and use blue tooth with it but couldn't figure out why even going to the lock screen manually wasn't preventing it from happening. I didn't realize there was a lockout screen time setting and that it was only adjustable if you set some kind of security, which I hadn't done until now.

Cheers!
    08-28-2014 05:26 PM
    Unfortunately this has been my only fix as well. There has to be a better option.
    09-09-2014 09:54 AM
    I tried this. Unfortunately it went from random unlocks to randomly calling 911.
    09-09-2014 09:57 AM
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

Here's the solution that worked for me, maybe it'll help some of you too.

I installed an app called "Gravity Screen" which is a pocket sensing app.
    It'll literally force the display to immediately turn off when the phone screen is lit while in your pocket.

What I liked about it is the amount of control you have over it. Like how much of an angle the phone needs to be in your pocket, which sensors it uses and many others.

It also works with Tasker so you can have even more control if needed.

It's a free app, but the paid version has some good additional features like allowing you to select apps where gravity Screen is automatically disabled, which makes sure it doesn't activate when it's not needed. I have mine set so that it only works for lockscreen.

Also I found that the default sms app lights the display when messages come in. That could be a culprit so if possible, change your default sms app to something like Hangouts which will not light the screen.

I think he screen is too sensitive in general, even when touch Senitivity is turned off. You can feel it when typing, like I am now. Sometimes the keys get hit even when you barely touch them.

Hope it helps.
    sonofalink likes this.
    09-09-2014 06:05 PM
    A combination of Proximity Lock and Pocket Screen Lock is working for me so far!

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-17-2014 09:59 PM
    This always happens when I work out. I can tell stuff is going on because my music starts to stutter. Yesterday my phone somehow opened my browser, cleared all my tabs, and then navigated to a website about Dr. Seuss.

This is the most craptastic phone I've ever owned.
    troshs likes this.
    09-18-2014 08:31 AM
124 12345