Galaxy S5 Screen unlocking in my pocket

Emily Wenstad

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
My son just got the S5 Active phone about a month ago and it is randomly calling 911 when he is at work and his phone is in his pocket on lock. Mostly because he bumps up against something and it must hit the emergency caller on the lock screen. What a stupid spot for this! He has tried pattern lock, pin lock, nothing works. I chatted with Samsung online - TOTALLY ineffective, the dude had no idea it was even happening and was such a waste of my time. We have AT&T as our carrier. I don't know if it is a carrier issue or a phone issue. I have read through all of the posts. Some have suggested app fixes. I guess I am too naive - why wouldn't Samsung be aware of this problem and do something to fix it? He is going to get in trouble for these calls if it continues. Or else he just can't carry his phone. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Any additional ideas - please help!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's a good one...THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT a pocket friendly phone!

I was jogging, listening to Pandora; the music suddenly goes silent, figuring it may have tried to connect to my wifi, (I jog near my house) I took the phone from my pocked, noticed that I had wifi off, and that the screen was on. A bit puzzled as to why Pandora was closed, I went to my screen where pandora icon was...and it was gone! Went to apps, and not there...went to Settings>App Manager....you guessed it...not there!! Somehow, Pandora uninstalled itself....had to reinstall!!

I now have set up Pattern Unlock, hopefully that will prevent issues like this. I'VE NEVER had this issue with any other phone I've owned. But, I still love the S5, so I'll get over it. LOL!

You just discovered the errors of not having a secure unlock method.

I tried to use Swipe for a while, but it quickly became apparent that too many bugs were developing.
Definition: Bug => any action that is not wanted

I switched to the Draw A Pattern and that totally "fixed my S5".
If the screen cannot unlock on its' own, the phone is not going to accidentally delete and icon, or move it, or uninstall the app. I had all of these happen while "Swipe was enabled".

I also discovered that the phone is "more stable" with the Nova Launcher than the OEM TouchWiz launcher. Weird things don't happen, and I can backup the home pages, and to me, it really seems like Nova is faster than TouchWiz.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Easy solution guys.

Download MacroDroid
Add macro
Trigger: proximity sensor (near)
Action: screen off
constraint: only when screen locked

Problem solved

You can even disable icon in notification bar via settings.

Wow! another MacroDroid devotee.... see my signature....
I love how MD really gives you a LOT of Power over how your phone works.

For me, having the internet switched off automatically has trebled the battery life.I easily get 3 days per charge and I use the phone quite a bit.

Attachments

• Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 54

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the S5.
I'm having this problem. Hate it!
Doesn't Samsung have a test group before production???? o_0

You can fix it in two ways.
Set up a security unlock screen, Draw a Pattern, or numbers.... I use pattern.

or, you can use macrodroid, see post #103

DigitalKlauser

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Just got S5 and it's unlocking in my pocket all the time hate the phone also over heating... Don't want to have to get a certain case or apply certain security wish it was still 14 day period

Posted via the Android Central App

jdubtheegreat

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
There are two sensitivity types on the Galaxy S5. The normal setting where your phone only works with your fingers or 'special' gloves and then there is the Touch Sensitivity. This setting allows you to use normal gloves and other objects.

Now I have had this issue of my phone unlocking in my pocket but ever since I put added a pattern to my lock screen it has been a non issue.

Babybaby0

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's messages that are the big problem. The option needs to be "allow home button to wake up screen".

There's also the issue of a double-press on the home button opening s-Voice, even when the screen is asleep. At this point, I want nothing to do with s-Voice, but I keep finding myself in the middle of it when I haul the phone out of my pocket (no I don't wear skinny jeans, people). Another forum had some instructions for turning this off, but they require me to accept Nuance's (whoever they are) terms of service to get at the option, which I'm not willing to do. Isn't there some way to get this app to leave me alone without acquiescing to their terms?

ryan borns

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone out there is having an issue with their s5 unlocking in their pocket what happens to me as I will be walking around at work or whatever someone will text me and I won't feel it vibrate but when I pull my phone out to check it the screen has came unlocked so I have responded with a bunch of gibberish to them or will have multiple apps open the only way I've been able to stop this is by putting a pattern or PIN code on my phone but I really don't want to do that any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Theres nothing on the s5 or new note 4 or edge . But my note 3 had option to not turn on lockscreen for notifications. N that fixed the problem before but not any more. Hate it. But hate pattern cus if i switch hands its aquard. Hate fingerprint cuz i wear gloves at work. Y does it have to be so dificult. Android 5.0 is not fixing this as of yet

montebl

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I have had nothing but trouble with my on/off button being too sensitive. There is no solution. I have tried a password, screen time out. The button will still turn off my Samsung s5 active smart phone while in my pocket. I will never buy another Samsung Phone.:(

SuperGoliath

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's messages that are the big problem. The option needs to be "allow home button to wake up screen".

There's also the issue of a double-press on the home button opening s-Voice, even when the screen is asleep. At this point, I want nothing to do with s-Voice, but I keep finding myself in the middle of it when I haul the phone out of my pocket (no I don't wear skinny jeans, people). Another forum had some instructions for turning this off, but they require me to accept Nuance's (whoever they are) terms of service to get at the option, which I'm not willing to do. Isn't there some way to get this app to leave me alone without acquiescing to their terms?

I just went to the S-Voice app, held it down, selected 'app info' and disabled it. Hopefully that doesn't affect anything else, but it keeps the double home button from initiating S-Voice.

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Security/Smart Lock
Click the various Trusted Devices, and remove them.

When these locations are trusted, it makes the screen unlocked, which allows pocket dialing, even when usually you have some sort of screen PIN, etc.

Galaxrrr

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
There are LOTS of things that drive me crazy about the Galaxy S5,

but THIS has to take the cake. I always end up walking around the store and then hear a sound coming out of my pocket, pull the phone out and some random video on YouTube is playing.

So my phone UNLOCKS, opens a RANDOM APP, does a SEARCH, and presses PLAY all hands-free with my magical pockets!

WTF

Also the front-facing camera SUCKS on the S5 (has a ridiculous pin-point effect), the rear-facing camera SUCKS indoors, and I can't access the internet while I'm placing a phone call because the phone doesn't have SVoLTE built into it.

Whoops, guess I shouldn't have picked this phone.

I got this brand new G5 phone to replace my trusty iPhone 3. Wanted to try the android ecosystem. The phone is simply awful. After 4 months of use I'm contractually trapped with this loser. Same issue as this thread plus many more. Can't even drag n drop my music onto the SD card. Back to iPhone for me. I'll buy a used one. Shame on Samsung.

pawnografik

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Created an account just to come on here and agree.

I've had iPhones and a Google Nexus. On both, if you press the power switch the phone locks - and stays locked. Can't believe that this phone is billed as a high-end phone but is rendered virtually unusable by such a simple design flaw (and one that is easily fixed by a software update).

I read a bunch of reviews about the phone before I bought it and none of them mentioned this crappy design. Now I'm stuck with a phone that does random stuff in my pocket constantly (as well as using up all my battery time while it does so).

For me the S-case doesn't fix it either. The front of the S-case slides around and the phone wakes up thus enabling the emergency call button, or if I don't have pattern locking, then it does a whole bunch of random stuff (moving apps, messaging, deleting emails).

Grrrrr..... not happy.

P.S. I'm on a Galaxy Note 3.

xjeepguy

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Easy solution guys.

Download MacroDroid
Add macro
Trigger: proximity sensor (near)
Action: screen off
constraint: only when screen locked

Problem solved

You can even disable icon in notificatoo bar via settings.

When you say Constraints :eek:nly when screen locked .
In MacroDroid the last step is screen off or screen on . I assume you mean screen off ?

Thanks

xjeepguy

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I had seen this issue now discussed in so many forums I cant believe Samsung hasn't looked into this .

Here is why , I'm so frustrated with this issue I called them today and spoke with them about it , well they told me they have not had one single report of this problem , worldwide , until my call this morning . Is everyone complaining on forums and not telling Samsung they have a big issue ???

Report the issue to them , or it'll never be resolved.

hopismum

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I use an App called Gravity Screen. Works great and no more pocket dials

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Fizanmughal

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone out there is having an issue with their s5 unlocking in their pocket what happens to me as I will be walking around at work or whatever someone will text me and I won't feel it vibrate but when I pull my phone out to check it the screen has came unlocked so I have responded with a bunch of gibberish to them or will have multiple apps open the only way I've been able to stop this is by putting a pattern or PIN code on my phone but I really don't want to do that any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

I am having same problem, the only solution for this is to change lockscreen from swipe to fingerprint, code, pattern!

Ed Kutsko

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Becarfull with the pin lock. I have my corporate exchange account setup, so I have had my phone wipe itself twice in the last 6 months because of the pin being entered wrong too many times while in my pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol