Verizon Galaxy S5 data usage through the roof

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I hardly use any data and all of a sudden I've used over 2GB of data since getting the S5 a couple of weeks ago.:eek:
With the S4 and iPhone 5 I never even got close to 1GB. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?
Thanks.

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you connecting to WiFi as often as you had with the other phones? My data usage is extremely low, because at home and in the office, I am always connected to WiFi.

Hendo255

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If you just got it 3 weeks ago you might have the same problem I did when I got the phone. As soon as you log in with your gmail account, which I assume you did in the verizon store, all of the apps you had on your old phone will start auto installing themselves at the same time. Then to make matters worse, if you get a new phone through verizon midway through the billing cycle, the amount of data you have will be prorated. So if you buy the phone at the halfway point you really only have 1 gig.

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I hardly use any data and all of a sudden I've used over 2GB of data since getting the S5 a couple of weeks ago.
With the S4 and iPhone 5 I never even got close to 1GB. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?
Thanks.

You might also check the "Smart network switch" thta is under advanced settings on the Wi-Fi. Bring up wifi from the "settings" and then tap on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner and select "Advanced". If you have "Smart network switch" checked, then it will switch to mobile data anytime that the wifi signal is low. If you uncheck it, it will stop it from accessing mobile data when you are not aware.

Last edited:

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Tap Usage Manager / Data and scroll up. It will tell you what is using the data.

Also, go to Google Drive and tap the left corner. Then tap Settings. Go to Data Usage and make sure you have checked off to ONLY transfer files over Wi-Fi. In that way uploading and updating of ALL files will pause when a Wi-Fi connection is not available.

Plus, set up the Data Retrieval phone number for Verizon. On ATT its *3282#. Dialing that number results in total data usage for the current cycle being sent to you in a Text Message.

I just used that for myself and came up with only 15.06 Mb now being used in my current cycle of 2,048 Mb available.

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I went into the data usage and found that I used .72gb since the time I got this phone which was a week ago. My cycle is the 23rd -22nd, got the s5 on the 10th.

I have smart switch unchecked, most of if not all my apps do not auto update plus I have "only update on wifi" on.

How can I make sure I'm using wifi? Is it in the status bar when I'm connected bc I see it listed in the notification bar when I bring it down as well but hate that it there and clear it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

stpeteuser

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that apps are using data downloads instead of Wi-Fi.
Go to Settings
Click on Data usage
Scroll down to where there is a list of applications. They are listed with the highest data user first. Google Play will probably be first.
Click on an application that is using a lot of data.
Scroll to Restrict background data and click on it. This instructs phone to download only via Wi-Fi.
Just above this it says "view app settings". Click on this and click on Auto-update apps. Select Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.

Remember to turn Wi-Fi on.

sdrocks858

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. I had a iphone 4 and i just switched to Samsung S5 a month ago. I am doing nothing different but my data usage is more than double what it was with the iphone. When I look up the data usage it seems to be 95% used on Skype which is what i used on the iphone. Time is relatively the same. I use it 15 minutes during my morning break. I just noticed something today that i thought was odd. I last used the skype app 1.5 hrs ago but when i look in my notifications it still shows it's running. I can not end the call. I have to turn off the phone. I have problems turning off skype before but usually my gf turns it off on her end but she just got a Samsung S5 also.

Already in two days i used .3 GB and i only skyped about 45 minutes. I did go into skype settings about 2 weeks ago and changed my settings to low video quality but that didn't seem to matter much.

bbogert79

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
My usage has more than double too. Typically I have only used about 500-600mb a month and all the sudden I am usually about 1100-1200mb and I haven't changed anything or any habits which would use it up. Has verizon changed something that make you have more data usage?

canaleur

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Also, check Verizon Cloud settings. My S5 was updating ALL videos, contacts, msgs, etc Every Hour. Took care of that, and had only selected apps updating wifi only and only at nite. Went from 2 gb in first month to less than .5 gigs for second cycle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, check Verizon Cloud settings. My S5 was updating ALL videos, contacts, msgs, etc Every Hour. Took care of that, and had only selected apps updating wifi only and only at nite. Went from 2 gb in first month to less than .5 gigs for second cycle.

Good advice! :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I had this same issue and realized bittorrent was guzzling my data

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
A Verizon Wireless and Samsung Mobile nightmare! My new Samsung Galaxy S5 has gone through 50gb of data in background apps even when "background app" data is off.
See my Google Plus for posts regarding Verizon Lies

This occurred at the beginning of May 2014. After 20 hours + on the phone with Verizon support and Samsung support, three trips to the Verizon store, and hard resetting my phone twice, Verizon agreed to pay for the data overage. The data overage is nearly $700!! HOWEVER VERIZON suspended my account today for not paying the overage. I called them, went through 5 hours of phone calls with them and they reactivated my service. They said again they would take care of the charges at 5pm today. At 9pm Verizon called again and told me that they couldn't handle the overages and that I would have to pay for it. I argued and told them that I did not use that data. I was on WIFI, I had background apps disabled and the phone continued to use the data. I provided screenshots proving it. Sheera of Verizon wireless said that she would see what she could do and will call me back tomorrow! How ridiculous!

I have been a Verizon customer for 13 yrs! We have 4 lines on the account and have never used more than 12gb a month.

Has anyone else experienced this big of a false data usage? Please help or give advice!

Atlanta Verizon Wireless Customer who is not happy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance