10-06-2014 06:17 AM
164 12345 ...
tools
    I came from a Razr two weeks ago, and there is no comparison. The Razr battery would not last 16 hours, and I only have to charge the s5 every-other-day, and some times I can go three days between charges. The display on the s5 is much sharper (not to mention slightly larger) than the Razr. The s5 does a much better job of finding a WiFi signal than the Razr. The biggest improvement, though, is in response time. The s5 is much faster than the Razr.

I do miss the favorite contacts widget that was on the Razr, but that is the only thing I liked better about the Razr. There might be something similar for the s5, but I have not found it yet.
    Jon Jackson likes this.
    05-13-2014 02:48 PM
    This is my first Android, been with iPhone for the last 5 years and before that I was with the Treo running Windows. I've had the S5 for about a month now and SOOOO glad I finally got away from Apple, I love the amount of customization you can do with this phone. I had one hiccup when I first got it with UHD video but I did a factory reset and that took care of it. Battery life is awesome compared to my iPhone 5 which I would barely get through a day just doing email, checking Facebook a few times, twitter, little web surfing some texting and that's about it. Love the size of the screen, I was worried that the phone would be too big but I got used to it within the first few days and now the iPhone looks so small. I know the rumors about Apple releasing a 4.7" and possibly 5.5" iPhone this Fall BUT they will still lock that sucker down like crazy allowing you limited customization.
    Jon Jackson likes this.
    05-13-2014 04:09 PM
    Yes, when music is playing i can turn up and down, when music is playing.

If it isn't playing, if i need to silence, or i want to turn off my notification sounds, phone sounds, system sounds, i have to unlock the phone to do that, correct?

Ill apply to a real life situation, i am in a meeting and i want to silence my phone completely, i would have to turn on my phone, unlock the phone by putting in the pin, click voluem rocker then dragging the volume meter down all the way, is that correct?

As opposed to the iphone with the silience switch on the side which doesnt require really anything to do other than switching it. As opposed to windows phone by turning on the phone with double tap or power button, hitting the volume rocker and pressing silence icon.

Android, turn on, enter code, click rocker and turn down the volume, no way to do this without using a pin. That is what i am trying to get at, so that isn't possible, correct?
    05-13-2014 04:43 PM
    I suppose not. So I guess this is the one way an iphone is better. Still glad there's 16,000 other things the android beats the iphone at.
    05-13-2014 04:46 PM
    I had it the day after the official launch and I'm as happy with it now as I was on day 1. Maybe even more as I'm getting a handle on which of the plethora of built in features I want to use and am learning to use better, and those that I'm never going to touch. It's a heck of a nice piece of hardware with very usable software and I'm loving it. Nothing new that comes out can take that away from me.
    05-13-2014 04:54 PM
    To clarify I think that person wanted an option to silence the ringer on the lock screen. Lots of older Android phones had it but seems like only a couple do now.
    05-13-2014 05:37 PM

If it isn't playing, if i need to silence, or i want to turn off my notification sounds, phone sounds, system sounds, i have to unlock the phone to do that, correct?

Ill apply to a real life situation, i am in a meeting and i want to silence my phone completely, i would have to turn on my phone, unlock the phone by putting in the pin, click voluem rocker then dragging the volume meter down all the way, is that correct?

As opposed to the iphone with the silience switch on the side which doesnt require really anything to do other than switching it. As opposed to windows phone by turning on the phone with double tap or power button, hitting the volume rocker and pressing silence icon.

Android, turn on, enter code, click rocker and turn down the volume, no way to do this without using a pin. That is what i am trying to get at, so that isn't possible, correct?
    On my Flex, laying on its back on the table: bip-bip-bip knock code, pull or softkey for dropdown, tap left end of volume. Knock code directly unlocks. Or on 4.2.2 you could get silenced with a doubletap and two more taps. Sound profiles are also preloaded and there is even a mode that auto blocks calls and such. You can use custom contact colors and the front/back notification LEDs will then be enough to tell you if the attempted contact was potentially important. Works well with visual voicemail for quietly checking if there's a disaster ongoing.
    05-13-2014 05:45 PM
    I came from an iPhone to the Nexus 5 and soon after I got the S5. Honestly, I am in love with the S5. Everything about this phone is incredible. I loved the Nexus 5 but there were some serious flaws with the phone, I understand why Google sells them for so cheap. Anyways, this premium device is amazing, so impressed with its battery life, I literally have everything running that Samsung offers on the handset and the battery still lasts forever. Way longer than the nexus 5. All the features that touch wiz offers (which I thought I would hate) I actually use everyday. Definitely an amazing phone, a must have!

Sent from my S5 via AC Forum App
    05-13-2014 08:27 PM
    Galaxy S5: NO NO NO.....I have had it for 6days and I do not like it. While talking on the phone you can not receive notification sounds/vibrations of text or email. Also when you dial a number and you need press prompts it take a minute to get back to the dial pad. This phone can turn on the TV, but it does not have basic features that their competitors do...it will be returned!
    05-13-2014 09:11 PM
    Yes im happy also because its just free like a gift given to me..
    05-13-2014 09:13 PM
    Just as an FYI, the way you do this is by holding the power button for a couple seconds, and then you change Sound to Vibrate or Mute in the screen that pops up. You don't have to unlock the phone to silence, but it is an additional step compared to just having a switch.

prlundberg and bgask1717 like this.
    05-13-2014 09:31 PM
    So far I hate mine and it is for sale! No one will buy it since it always locks up... Had to go back to my N5, Damn this sucks!
    05-13-2014 09:37 PM
    this seems to be happening a lot now that i am digging deeper into it.
    05-13-2014 10:01 PM
    Still yet to kill the battery and havent had any problems with it so very happy
    05-14-2014 09:13 AM
    I love the phone.

My ONLY complaint is that I can't get Notifications or Widgets on the Lockscreen without having to swipe down the Notification Panel.

I hope Samsung adds an update to make the Lockscreen customizable with Notifications and Widgets. Seems like a really strange feature to omit.

I have my phone at my desk all day long - seems silly to have to unlock it every time I want to see an update or a specific widget.
    It's called a LOCKSCREEN for a reason.
    Cruzzer08 and BalrogWing like this.
    05-14-2014 10:09 AM
    I've had mine since the week it released. I love it. I've only really had issues with receiving some picture texts, but going to look through forums here for help (newbie to forums). I came from iPhone 5S.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-14-2014 12:41 PM
    It's called a LOCKSCREEN for a reason.
    That is true but you should still be able to put a widget on there like upcoming calendar events, weather widget showing 5 day forecast, missed calls and so on. I had this on my jailbroken iPhone and it was nice to just hit the power button and get a quick look at my appointments for the day without having to unlock the phone and launch the calendar app. This is a pretty simple feature and was surprised that it's not an option. Someone mentioned C Locker Pro the other day and I'll have to check that out to see if it will do what I want.
    bgask1717 likes this.
    05-14-2014 02:21 PM
    That is true but you should still be able to put a widget on there like upcoming calendar events, weather widget showing 5 day forecast, missed calls and so on. I had this on my jailbroken iPhone and it was nice to just hit the power button and get a quick look at my appointments for the day without having to unlock the phone and launch the calendar app. This is a pretty simple feature and was surprised that it's not an option. Someone mentioned C Locker Pro the other day and I'll have to check that out to see if it will do what I want.

Unlike the iphone though, you can customize your android any way you want, so yes, you may need to take the 5 seconds or whatever it takes to download an app that will do what you want.
    05-14-2014 02:29 PM
    As an ex-jailbreaker myself I'm extremely surprised that you haven't found an app on the Play Store to do these things for you yet. Every possible option is out there and the play store structure and searching so much easier than trying to find a specific function in Cydia without knowing the exact app name.
    BalrogWing likes this.
    05-14-2014 02:56 PM
    Yes, it was me who mentioned C Locker, go and use it, you will love it, best $2.49 I've paid in my life, but obviously try it first with the Free Version and see if it works as expected for you.
    05-14-2014 03:00 PM
    It'll be 2 weeks on Saturday since I got it and I love it so far! Very nice phone, and I recently switched the screen mode to Cinema--I love the color accuracy and it's much easier on my eyes than the Adapt Display mode. The color saturation was giving me headaches.

Battery life is awesome. Very happy with phone call quality and signal.

I wish the power button and volume weren't at the same level on the bezel, though. I habitually accidentally turn off the screen when I'm trying to adjust the volume one-handed. Very few complaints with the phone, then few I do have are minor.

05-14-2014 03:03 PM
    As an ex-jailbreaker myself I'm extremely surprised that you haven't found an app on the Play Store to do these things for you yet. Every possible option is out there and the play store structure and searching so much easier than trying to find a specific function in Cydia without knowing the exact app name.
    I understand there are apps, I was just surprised that it wasn't part of the OS to begin with seeings how the phone is so customizable and I thought I read somewhere it was available in previous years with the stock OS.
    05-14-2014 03:13 PM
    I understand there are apps, I was just surprised that it wasn't part of the OS to begin with seeings how the phone is so customizable and I thought I read somewhere it was available in previous years with the stock OS.
    As far as I know we can't even use DashClock on the S5. :/ Any idea of alternatives that can be used on the S5 for sure?

05-14-2014 03:18 PM
    I've had my S5 for 2 weeks now, it's my return to android after about 4 years of highly jailbroken iphones. I made the switch as soon as work decided to allow phones but no jailbroken or rooted devices. (High security)

WOW did Samsung and Google really step it up while i was gone!! I wasn't blown away with the S5 interface out of the box, and its taken some time to get it right, Nova Launcher Prime and Evolve SMS saved the day... All the options are out there to make it my own and I'm having fun finding them. I feel that Ergo and Design could use some help but its possible that its just going to take some time to adapt from the iphone.

PROS:
    Battery life is better than my Iphone 5
    Screen size and resolution are great
    Water Resistant!!
    Camera is better than my stand alone Olympus
    Expandable memory and super fast clock speeds.
    Play Store is intuitive and the selection is wider than Apple app store and Cydia combined.

CONS:
    Charger Door is a PITA but worth the water resistance (still waiting for samsung to release the wireless charging back)
    I hate the volume warning when I'm using headphones (the "smart volume" fixed onboard music, but not pandora)
    Had to disable Google Search in order to access S-voice with in-line headphone button from locked phone, now I have no talk to type from the keyboard... Still looking for a fix.. Anyone?
    Ergo and Design:
    Worried about my camera lens becoming damaged from protruding out, can't get a case cuz I'm waiting on the charge back
    Protruding camera also makes the phone unstable when I'm using it on my desk
    Lock button is right across from volume button, makes it hard to hit one and not the other, should be on the top
    Headphone jack really should be on the bottom, headphone wire goes under my shirt so I need the slack when using the phone, not to mention that everyone put the phone in there pocket upside down.

All in All still the best smartphone I've ever had.. and the list is long
    05-14-2014 03:29 PM
    I've had my S5 for 2 weeks now, it's my return to android after about 4 years of highly jailbroken iphones. I made the switch as soon as work decided to allow phones but no jailbroken or rooted devices. (High security)

WOW did Samsung and Google really step it up while i was gone!! I wasn't blown away with the S5 interface out of the box, and its taken some time to get it right, Nova Launcher Prime and Evolve SMS saved the day... All the options are out there to make it my own and I'm having fun finding them. I feel that Ergo and Design could use some help but its possible that its just going to take some time to adapt from the iphone.

PROS:
    Battery life is better than my Iphone 5
    Screen size and resolution are great
    Water Resistant!!
    Camera is better than my stand alone Olympus
    Expandable memory and super fast clock speeds.
    Play Store is intuitive and the selection is wider than Apple app store and Cydia combined.

CONS:
    Charger Door is a PITA but worth the water resistance (still waiting for samsung to release the wireless charging back)
    I hate the volume warning when I'm using headphones (the "smart volume" fixed onboard music, but not pandora)
    Had to disable Google Search in order to access S-voice with in-line headphone button from locked phone, now I have no talk to type from the keyboard... Still looking for a fix.. Anyone?
    Ergo and Design:
    Worried about my camera lens becoming damaged from protruding out, can't get a case cuz I'm waiting on the charge back
    Protruding camera also makes the phone unstable when I'm using it on my desk
    Lock button is right across from volume button, makes it hard to hit one and not the other, should be on the top
    Headphone jack really should be on the bottom, headphone wire goes under my shirt so I need the slack when using the phone, not to mention that everyone put the phone in there pocket upside down.

All in All still the best smartphone I've ever had.. and the list is long

The charge back is exactly the same dimensions, so yes, you can get a case for your phone and it will fit over the charge back.
    05-14-2014 03:48 PM
164 12345 ...